:)
  • 2675 posts
  • Page 1 of 179
Virtuosity98 wrote:
The Dark, Mafia Game
Thread Navigation: (click to show)
FLAVOUR:
One day in a small Alaskan town, something changed. Phones cut to static; interference. TVs, radio, Wi-Fi – all down. Later, reports of road accidents came flooding into town. People going missing. Very quickly, a harrowing truth became all too apparent: everyone leaving the town was ending up dead.

Underground, fearing an inevitable CIA investigation, researchers scrambled to launch their cover-up plans. They had not foreseen an accident of this magnitude, but they had prepared for one. By the morning, an abandoned, barren lab facility was all that was discovered – no trace of evidence, no hint of culpability... The final touch: memory-altering drugs to ensure no details would be leaked, and that no-one would blab. After the crisis blows over, maybe the researchers would find a way to regroup, and the pioneering research could resume with redoubled caution.

Madness has descended upon the once-peaceful town. Suspicion of evil scientists, of government agents, of spies and of political treachery swirls through homes, hearts, and minds alike. A public outcry for retribution against those accountable rages, as well as a fervent desire just to make it through the other side of this chaos. Confusion reigns, in this sense a uniting force, beckoning to all to uncover the researchers’ dark secrets.

Players: (click to show)

Unanimously Acknowledged and Accepted Rules: (click to show)

Game Mechanics:
This is fundamentally a game of Mafia, with evil faction(s) and good faction(s) fighting for dominance, via Lynchings in the forums, nightkills at night via PMs, and other unique night actions via PMs. Notable mechanics that differ from other mafia games include Puzzle Pieces, Occupations, Locations, and more. Read on!

Puzzle Pieces are hints to be discovered throughout the game by individual players through their Night and Day actions. They will be received by PM from V98, and are the only text you are allowed to copy/paste/reproduce from your PM chats with V98.
Puzzle Piece sample (click to show)
Understanding Puzzle Pieces will be a key way to maximise your probability of meeting your win clause.

Occupations - every player will receive a Role PM detailing basic information about their character, followed by their Faction, Win Clause, Night/Day actions, and automatic abilities. Part of the basic information section will include one of the following Occupations:
Occupations (randomised) (click to show)
Each Night phase, each player must lock in their plans for the following Day phase, be it #VISIT [Occupation], #OPEN for business, or #RESEARCH. Of the 20 Occupations, only 10 may #OPEN for business (or in other words, only 10 Occupations may be #VISITED).
Visitable Occupations (and respective Locations) (click to show)
#VISITING Occupations may yield certain benefits, namely acquisition of knowledge specific to that Location, or benefitting from a service unique to that Location. The Owner would benefit too - it may be an anarchic society, but it's still a capitalistic anarchic society :P If, however, the Owner did not choose to #OPEN for business, then your action would be wasted.
At the end of the Day phase, you will learn the identity of the Occupation you #VISITED - e.g. If Virtuosity98 #VISITED the mailman, and Fendi was the mailman, then Virtuosity98 would be told:
The mailman was Fendi.

Finally, Locations are simply the 10 visitable Occupations. If you find yourself alone with one other player in any given Location during the Day phase, V98 will create a PM chat between the two of you for that phase. Certain other actions may be Location-limited.

Clear as mud? :P These things always seem complicated when written out all at once - perhaps you are still feeling a little in the Dark? ;)
You'll get the hang of it within a few phases. Feel free to absolutely pepper me with questions!

Finally, some generic resources to help all factions play optimally:
Generic Resources (click to show)

NEWS updates (click to show)

Remember, anything could be part of the mystery, part of the puzzle! :) Likewise, anything could be an infuriating red-herring! :P Tread carefully.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

orzhovboss wrote:
Do we know anything more about #Research? Probably gives puzzle piece clue thingies
ANYWAYS I'M PUMPED!!!! tysm for hosting virt
jkl3699 wrote:
Oh wow, this looks really fleshed out and I know that it will be a lot of fun. Thanks for hosting V98, and I'm looking forward to the start
ChipmunkWarrior wrote:
Yeah thanks for everything Virt!!

This is gonna be so cool!
"The tallest beanstalks sway in the wind the most

- Ancient South African Proverb
ChipmunkWarrior wrote:
So... should we go ahead and translate the puzzle piece?

Virtuosity98 wrote:
Added the following to Post#1:
At the end of the Day phase, you will learn the identity of the Occupation you #VISITED.
e.g. If Virtuosity98 #VISITED the mailman, and Fendi was the mailman, then Virtuosity98 would be told:
The mailman was Fendi.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:

Virtuosity98 wrote:
Today is the first full day of the crisis. No-one is working, the Town is abuzz with thoughts and feelings. News continues to stream in from all sides, bewildering as much as it sheds light. Town fury cries for retribution - their lives, shattered in an instant!!

It is now Day 0. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform.
Day 0 will end in 23 hours (countdown).
Day Actions: (click to show)

Role PMs out after one final check from me :)
Day Actions:

Virtuosity98 wrote:
Role PMs are officially out! Remember, this is a fairly experimental format of mafia and I hope that even if it fails entirely that it will still be interesting ^^^^ Since I have deliberately left a ridiculous amount of unknowns in this setup, it's quite possible that you will make grave errors that only become obvious later in the game - that's just part and parcel with this format so I hope you all take it nicely when it inevitably happens! ;D

Double-check and triple-check everything you're about to do, and don't forget to ask me questions :)
(and then quadruple-check) ;)
Day Actions:

ChipmunkWarrior wrote:
#LynchPygmyHippo277

#UnlynchPygmyHippo277

#LynchRockbert

#UnlynchRockbert

Hmm...
Ooh, I know!

#LynchChipmunkWarrior

#UnlynchChipmunkWarrior

#LynchJobu

#UnlynchJobu

#Abstain

ChipmunkWarrior wrote:
It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood! A wonderful day for a neighbor! Would you be mine?

Who's shop should I visit!

ChipmunkWarrior wrote:
I've been feeling a little down in the dumps lately, maybe I need to go to a life coach.
Take a taxi there perhaps?
Or maybe what I need isn't a life coach, but some meditation and yoga?
Or maybe I can see the Among Us Movie in the movie theater?

So many options!

Tennesseelogman wrote:
i will go against my 100% record of voting to lynch someone at the first opportunity since it seems that no reliable info will be shared in the forum just yet. so at this point i will vote to
#No lynch
unless info comes to light that would cause me to change my mind.
Live long and prosper