A map based on the books
  • 313 posts
  • Page 1 of 21
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5931/westeros.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

I need bonuses for this map...Anybody want to try?
Just been looking at this map too long!

I got permission from ..Tears ...to make the map for this site. He is the guy that made the map for Martin "the author" and what HBO uses for the series. See what happens when you make a map just as a fan? You start to make money from them...I am still waiting ...
Just checked my mail and there was no money!  Dang! hehe

What do you guys think?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Pntbttr wrote:
Wow! Um...what is westeros?

I don't like the gameplay on this map...at all. The rivers are white in some places...did you try to do that? The bridges need a lot of improvement. The connections need a redo...they don't blend in enough...

Region bonuses:
White = 3
dark Green = 2
bright Green = 2
Blueish Green = 2
Dark Blue = 4
Light Blue = 3
Pink = 5
Bright Purple = 3
Dark Purple = 3
Greyish Blue = 5
Greyish Green = 4
Redish Brown = 4
Greyish Pink = 2
Yellow = 5
Orange = 4
Green = 8
Vexer wrote:
for pntbttr: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westeros#Westeros

i haven't looked at the gameplay yet. i'll save that for later.

overall nice work. This one will need a bit more work than the world of Tor map, that one is almost done. But it's actually farther along than the no name map.

unlike pntbttr, i think the bridges are fine. what exactly needs improvement pntbttr? He is right about the connection lines though.

colors and texture are fine except i don't like the purplish colors. too bright and saturated.

I'm not a fan of the background but it's not bad. I especially don't like the bottom right corner.

Also don't like the title. You probably would have improved it in the final version without me saying anything anyway. I think this map needs a very fancy title.

The mini map is too small and too cramped. What you can try is to move all the regions all the way to the right side of the map and put the mini map on the left side to the left of the brown region.

I don't see a problem with white rivers but the river between the frozen zone and the paps is not clear. Can those two attack? If it is supposed to be impassable there then the river needs to be a little longer otherwise make the river a little shorter so it's clear that they can attack.

The river above ramsgate is too narrow at one point.

There are river's all over the map that don't change game play. If your goal is to have a complicated map with adjacencies that are hard see then it's fine. But some players won't play on the map because of it. You can de-clutter the map by removing some of the rivers that don't change game play. I wouldn't remove them all though because the rivers give the map a unique feel. I do have a couple of suggestions for rivers to remove:

The extra fork of the river in seaguard is confusing, unnecessary, and doesn't make the look of the map better. It should be removed.

I think the river in Antler (in top green region) should be removed. it is too close to another river so it doesn't help the look of the map.
Thorpe wrote:
Too cool and like you say post it for comments...I like they way you look at all the problems and post them for me so I don't go back and forth to the map.

By the way, I suck at doing the text and you know I was not going to keep the Title and the connections...just waiting for other game play options.

95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5931/westeros.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

The latest update with the bonuses and the connection I hope Vexer will do them for me...and the title might be done by _NoXon_ or somebody else if I can not get the look I want...Time will tell.

If anybody wants to try the title let me know.

For you die hard fans I will show you what I started with, from the "Tear" map maker, and no I have never read the books or know anything about them and I don't get HBO.

[IMG]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2015/westerosfinal.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]
Thorpe wrote:
Sorry did not fix river in seaguard ..doing it now.
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5931/westeros.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

Now waiting for comments.

Have title and fixed the rivers.
Pntbttr wrote:
I don't think the bridges are done because there are little pixelated black lines on the top of most of them...

The outline is pixelated in a lot of spots...I'm not sure if you can fix that or not...I agree with vexer in the bottom right corner of the map the texture gets really reddish-yellow...The connection lines still need work...

Otherwise it's an amazing map!
Thorpe wrote:
the bottom was changed from what Vexer said..was is to dark on the last update before this one or what?

Will look at the bridges closer.
Vexer wrote:
the bottom is better now but I am still not a fan of the background. It's meets the sites standards though.

Pntbttr is right about the outline. There are some bad spots.

The mini map would look better centered between flint's finger (blue region) and Old Town (green region).

After seeing Tear's map i was able to figure out what was bugging me about this map. It looks scrunched. I suggest that this map get resized to 1024 x 1024. It will still look scrunched compared to the original but by itself it will look normal. Players who don't want to scroll so much can use the smaller version which would be 768 x 768 which is the standard height.

To resize it, save a new version, e.g. westeros v2.pdn
then Image->Resize then select by absolute size and change it to say 1024 by 1024.
Then delete the text layer and the compass because they won't look right. You'll have to open the un-resized version of the map and copy and paste the compass and text layers in. You'll have to move all the text into place and fix the compass.

The resize might make things a bit blurry. Try the sharpen filter on some of the layers. Gimp has more sharpening filters than pdn. you may need to use it.

I wish I had seen the outline before the other work was done on it so that i could have suggested the resize then. Because all the layers would look better if they had been done at the bigger size instead of resized.
Thorpe wrote:
LOL Vexer!!!

Me Too!!!

Just going by the rules.  Might have to wait for this resizing unless I send it to you and you convert it to a SVG file, or what ever that name is, then I can resize it without making it blurry ...gimp has a save as SVG but I can't seem to get it to work .
Vexer wrote:
saving as svg and then resizing won't help. svg files only resize perfectly when they are created using inkscape. It has to be an original svg file and not converted. Just try it in paint.net using the instructions above and we'll see how it comes out.
Votazap wrote:
Sorry right now I just don't like this map.

I don't like the region colors they seem dark

I don't like the bridges I agree with pntbttr

I don't like the gameplay to much

I don't like the backround maybe try a dark blue

I also don't like how the map seems very squeezed in
Votazap wrote:
Not trying to be super negative I just think there is a lot to be done
Thorpe wrote:
Not negative at all...need both pos. comments and neg. ones to make this map work! I like both and I know you are not talking about me...being short and squeezed, or dark...though I might be blue and sometimes fuzzy!

Keep the comments coming!