A map based on the books
  • 313 posts
  • Page 3 of 21
Thorpe wrote:
I love it Fendi...and thank you for the insights!
I forgot to move the circle on The Twins..
Will adjust background to the map but waiting on which one I should do.
The white needs to be fixed and have fixed it before your post..but before it was too bright for matty and if the white is ok to "GG" then I will leave it.
Thank you for your vote.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
I agree with fendi about the new background. It looks like you found a file on the internet and resized it to make it big enough. You lose too much quality that way. I also don't like the black around the edges. But I disagree with fendi when she said you should go back to the old background.
Thorpe wrote:
Like I said I have nothing in mind and got that from gimps background files with white edges...A little help to what you are looking for.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
nice looking old paper. i'm sure there are gimp tutorials out there for making old paper.

an example would be victrons paper.
Leedog wrote:
I like how you can be in the upper corner and have to go through all the other territories to attack the lower corner. Also, never heard of "Westeros"... is that a t.v. show?
Thorpe wrote:
yes on HBO and book series
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/5931/westeros.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

Wow had alot to fix on this map!!!!
I just keep making it worst...but now I think I got the problems fixed...boy what fun when you move and then resize a map!

Take a look and let me know!
Vexer wrote:
the new background is fine except i think it's a little bla. i would try adding some more tannish color to it and sharpen it a bit.

the outline in the white region has been mentioned several times by several of us. It needs to be redone it's too jagged. also the river issue in that region that i brought up has yet to be addressed. Also you'll need to try something else for the text in the white region--looks blurry compared to the rest of the text.

I'd like to see the unnecessary river taken out of Antler.. please respond, this is the second time i have asked about this.

the compass still needs to be fixed.

The mini map looks awful.. even after improving it it will still look awful there's no way around it though cause it's going to be cluttered.

Try shrinking the numbers to the same font size as the territory labels. Try not using a resized version of the texture layer and make a new texture layer just for the mini map so that it doesn't look blurry.

I still haven't had time to look at game play. it's a big map with a lot to consider.

the bridges are smooth but not blurry. nice job.
Thorpe wrote:
Fendi did the text on this map.
 Antler was fixed but had to redo the lines so I forgot to take it out again..sorry... so it put it back in...that is why Seagard and the Twins had to be fixed. Re-reading forum for fixes that was done...I have made so many of this map I get lost what I did with what map and had to go back and redo cause of the move and the resize that It all looks the same!....lol 
Vexer wrote:
please address the river issue in the white region. from my april 22nd post

'the river between the frozen zone and the paps is not clear. Can those two attack? If it is supposed to be impassable there then the river needs to be a little longer otherwise make the river a little shorter so it's clear that they can attack.'

Thorpe wrote:
I will, reading posts...I will take it out again
Fendi wrote:
Hello.

I agree with Vexer about the background, it needs that something extra. Also, can you make the border between Mount Calin and Barrowland a bit wider.

There are still some errant pixels here and there that needs to be removed.

The text was changed when you imported it into paint.net. I can make some changes to it when you finish the map and also do the numbers for the mini-map.

Dont worry Thorpe, youre almost done. lol

Take care.
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/5931/westeros.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]
Mount Calin and Barrowland...fixed
Rivers..fixed, I hope
Outline around white..fixed
Bonus numbers fixed
Compass changed...if you don't like it it is gone..no compass
Mini Map moved and is bigger..with texture not enlarged just added, no outline on it cause it will not fit...moved cause it has a bigger area where it is now
Names on white sharpened...if not right Fendi said she will fix it
Connections...Vexer will fix those...I hope
Went around outline and fixed spots...if there is more please point them out, cause I just can't see them.
Ocean is sharper...let me know.

With all these changes let me know if I missed anything, Saying I am sorry if you have to repeat yourself...I think I did everything...but if I forgot something please tell me again...sorry...Map is getting old to me and ready to throw it out!

Of coarse I would never do that...just my cpu!, 

I hate this map!  LOL
Matty wrote:
Lol, i actually went fullscreen on trying to comment something on this map B-)

On the colours:
====================

I think it looks pretty good right now. Still think the white region looks too bright, i guess its because the colour white is just very bright :) (can't you reuse some colours?)
Also the two regions just below the center (the ones with sawshorn and kings landing in them) have little contrast to the background - especially the right one
the other one also has some bad contrast to the green region below

On the topografie:
====================

I dont know anything about westeros, but TheTwins is one territory, but consists of two parts, which is annoying when you want to count the number of territories for example (like i just did)
(I like counting territories in FOG maps, so this is a real point)
Is it possible to enlarge the nort-side of the river a little bit and let the south-side belong to seagard for example?

On the text:
====================

Maybe you can look a little bit better if they are not colliding with the bridges, or too far from the center, but in general they are quite good.
Take a look at these ones:
- Three towers (bottom-left)
- Skagos (top-right)
- Salt (somewhere a bit center left)

The number of territories:
====================

6 . . 3 . . 3
5 . . 6 . . 6 . . 5
. . 5 . . . . . 5
. . . . . . . . 8
7 . . 5 . . 4
12 . . . . 7
. . . . 7

Counts to a total of 94 territories.

And now lets hope i havent made any calculation errors.

On the gameplay:
====================

Yeah, this is a difficult map. Im not an expert on gameplay, but I would (try to) take the white region, which is easily defendable (only two borders for +3).
After a while i could take the other two top regions, and i would have +7 for 3 borders, which is quite nice.
Take the purple one at the right for another +3 and just one extra border (you need that one pink territiry), not too bad :)

But then i could do nothing against someone being strong in the bottom, cause they would clear me there probably.

Dunno really.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria