A map based on the books
  • 313 posts
  • Page 10 of 21
Vexer wrote:
Can TheHaniball also check and re-check the spelling for us?
Thorpe wrote:
Here is what TheHaniball had to say:

The Rills and The Stony Shore are reversed.yes did the reverse cause of the size of the text

Aron Hill should be "Acorn Hall".yes

Dyre Den should be "Dragonstone"(named after one of the islands in the region that is important to the story)completely different name maybe[/i]

Coldwater should be "The Fingers". Yes

Strongsong in that same region as coldwater should be "Three Sisters". (named after that group of islands just north of it that are unmentioned) No ..it is not on the land

on the bottom of the map your "starfar" is actually "Starfall" and should replace High Hermitage. No they are in the right spot..but the spelling... yes

and "Sun House" should go where your starfar is.Still looking but so far no

in the eastern southern part, it should be "Felwood" not Fellwood.yes

And now, looking at it, i'd make "KingsWood" where Stonedance is. and put "Summerhall" where kingswood is. and put "Storm's End" where Fellwood is.checking

these are to name a few of the ones i saw off the top of my head.

the northern part of the map is slightly misdrawn, which i imagine was so you could fit the map with maximized amount of space since the actual figure of Westeros could result in a lot of unused space.

Specifically though, in the north, where Castle Rock is, there is a major item called "The Wall". Castle Rock is three of the city like castles that secure this wall. The eastern one being "Eastwatch" and the western one being "Shadow Tower". Maybe replace Queenscrown with Shadow Tower since Queenscrown is actually south of the wall and their cities, and replace Hardhome(which is actually north of the wall) with "Eastwatch". The Wall separates the northern regions which you have labeled Green/White from your Pink/Purple regions. (Maybe the Wall could be drawn*** just a thought... Wink**Wink**)checking..so far yes

And Skane in the North Green Region should be "Fist of First Men". and Antler should be "Haunted Forest".not sure

There is also something called Whitetree that should be in that northern green region... more so than "The Bite"....have a name maybe for that

So my second thought was to: maybe make the bite "fist of first men" and make skane "Craster's Keep". And where craster's was, make that "Haunted Forest" and make Antler "Whitetree".checking

I have a map at home from the actual book i took from the digital copy of the book in PDF, and i also have the digital copy of the map provided by the publishers in corolation with the HBO show on JPEG.

but i referenced your map you mentioned, and some of the cities or locations are debatable since they are going based upon the referenced location within the book, and the fact that the publisher's map fails to provide a set in stone loaction for some cities or areas of reference.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
marcoxa wrote:
ok this is a really rough draft but i wanted to make sure you like the bridges before i go any further:

[image]
Matty wrote:
Well, they look a bit like roman bridges, maybe its the colour, dont know.
And they are really broad.

Also some of them need more rotation sometimes (between Stonehelm and Blackhaven for example (yellow region))

But as a first impression: quite good.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
marcoxa wrote:
Ya like I said rough draft. There is a lot I can fixed but I did not want to put a lot of work into it if you guys did not like them in the first place
Matty wrote:
Also a small thing for Thorpe, you have loads of bridges over the same river, and very close to eachother.
Now with these broad bridges it catches my eye, its kind of weird to have an impassible (river) and then make almost every territory an exception.

Just a small example - Harrenhal (grey, center) to tumbleton (green, south).
That bridge just creates an exta border - the regions will be worth their bonus without the extra border.
But if you want to keep the amount of borders - why not remove the bridge left to it - you will keep the same amount of borders, the same regions can attack eachother, but the impassable is just a little more, well, impassable.

The more north I go, the less bridges I find, and the more realistic it looks to me.

Dont know te books or so, maybe they are supposed to be there, but just saying.

Another small note - marcoxa's version has some less bridges than the version before (Ghost-hill to Red-dunes (orange region, south) for example).
Dont know if its supposed to - but the other bridge in the orange region (Starfar to High Hermitage) is defenitely important ;))
(I believe these two are the only ones)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
yeah, they are too wide and the color is wrong and they look cartoony which doesn't fit.

I was fine with the bridges from two versions ago and I keep asking what was wrong with them. Could someone save me some time and repeat themselves and tell me what was wrong with them?
Thorpe wrote:
the bridges are better but the black is too black. the shadow effect needs to be a little lighter... Vexer said.

The only thing I did with the bridges you liked was took off some of the top part and changed -ONLY- the color of the tops of the bridges. I did not change the shadow color at all.

Why did you think I said Argh.....
lol

What is the rule on this? What do I do?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
Oh by the way I do like the bridges, but not for this map as they are.

Have lots of time cause I have found a great web site to check the names and boy there is a lot of changes....wish I knew about it before, and a lot of background on Westeros of the "Houses"...meaning ruling houses, and what cities are important.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:The_Reach.png
Matty wrote:
@Vexer, not wrong, just that they could be better I think.
For one they are too orange - and do not stand out in the bottomright region (thats why marcoxa forgot those i guess)
And also they do look a bit blurry where the edges meet the floor.
marcoxa wrote:
how about theses bridges?

[image]
Thorpe wrote:
are they newspapers?
LOL
Bridges are not so easy are they? hehehe
Vexer wrote:
no on those bridges. how bout you just take thorpe's bridges from two versions ago and adjust the color and sharpen the edges?