A map based on the books
  • 313 posts
  • Page 5 of 21
Vexer wrote:
I decided to play around with the placement of the land and the mini map. I really didn't like how it looked before with so much empty space on the left. What I came up with might work better but it's also not ideal because the mini map now covers part of skagos. On a side note I want to emphasize the importance of getting spacing and layout perfected before doing too much other work because fixing it toward the end is complicated and time consuming. This is one of the reasons why I encourage map makers to post their outline before they do colors or texture or anything else.

I had to make a new background in order to move things around otherwise there would have been gaps. I also think the new background is better. What do you think? And is the mini maps new placement better or worse?

http://www.dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Westeros2.jpg

There a are lots of little things that still need fixing but they will have to wait for another day.
Thorpe wrote:
It works!
And it looks right...THANK-YOU.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Fendi wrote:
Hello.

The Twins territory is much better now and so is the outline. I also like the new background, its more warm and less dirty looking. The new position of the mini map looks ok and the mini map itself looks great.
I dont know if thats what you were aiming for but the whole map looks smooth. Maybe add a bit of texture to the land and background. Also I must have jumped over Three Towers when I did the labels because I do not have a version saved with it in it, but its easy to fix that.

Good job Thorpe and Vexer.

Take care.
Votazap wrote:
Great job Thorpe the colors are great and the backround is very smooth and nice to look at. It would look good with texture or good without so do what you want. As for the connections they seem a little confusing ( prob can't help it) and I don't really like the orange connections .

Other than that great job!!
Thorpe wrote:
Yeah I like the background and and the map looks clean now and not so unbalanced.
Remember the connections are not done yet.

This will be one hard map to play...game play is hard on this map cause it is so big...but looks so good!LOL

I don't think every territory needs a texture and I tried to make the texture like "Tears".

But the more I look at the bridges I think they need work, talking about the contrast colors.

Good comments Fendi and voltazap.
And thank you Vexer for your help.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
About those bridges: they look quite good, but can be better yes.

Maybe you should make the black part of the bridges transparant, instead of black, so that you can see (a part of) the river beneath them.
Also it looks (a little bit) like the handrails (not the black ones, but the ones you see "from the inside";) on other side of the bridge aren't there.
I hope you understand what i mean, its difficult to say :P

You can also try to play around with the colours. Orange bridges on orange territories looks weird. And not only that, most bridges in this world aren't orange at all ;)
(Sais the one that always plays with orange)

And another note: some bridges should be rotated a little bit more or a bit less.
For example, The Twins (my favorite territory to comment on) has two briges. The left one looks more rotated than the right one, and it (the left one) stands half on the land and half on the water, which is kinda weird for a bridge ;-)
But some more bridges can use a different rotation (Stonehelm for example)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
The dang Twins...good and evil!
and that was my thoughts on the bridges too!
Thank you Matty!
Thorpe wrote:
[IMG]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2186/westerosa.jpg[/IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/url]

This is to show only the bridges! I do not have the great map Vexer did so just comment on the bridges.

Look at "The Neck's" bridge and look at the size of the other bridges..

Vexer wrote:
i like the smaller ones better but I didn't have a problem with the old ones. i'm unsure what people's problem was.

I'll get you the update version soon. Like i said in my post, there are a lot of little things that need fixing. I'll leave some of it for you but first I'll circle the problem spots in red.
Thorpe wrote:
Thank you for the response
Matty wrote:
Bridges look nice :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
I think they will work.
Leedog wrote:
Was watching "Game of Thrones" last night on HBO and the Dragon woman mentioned "Westeros" and was wondering if that's the same one of the map you made Thorpe?
Votazap wrote:
Hey not bad the opacity is nice and the colors and backround are fantastic.

This map is not too far from done although I am not sold on the bridges and there are some minor fixes to be made.