A map based on the books
  • 313 posts
  • Page 19 of 21
The_Bishop wrote:
@Thorpe, I'm sorry for not having been nice in my comments. Your work is precious and I agree with you to work as a team. I'm pretty new here but I hope I can be one of the team. The gameplay looks good to me. It's a "jump-the-river" style map. I think it can produce funny capitals games. The ports are ok for me... Really I don't know why I should comment the gameplay because you surely are more expert than me. Nothing is "wrong" in this map, I just said I don't like a lot the representation. But I arrived too late and then most of people like it, since the majority wins: this is "team"! Btw I would be glad to show how I would have made a Westeros map. I can try, but I am not an engineer me too.

What absolutely I don't like is the capitals placement and I wanna propose one different by me:
2p - Forest, High Hermitage; (blu-green)
3p - add Redfort; (blu-green)
4p - Torren's Square, Longbow Hall, Ashemark, Stonehelm; (black)
5p - Thenn, Wolfwood, Seagard, Ashford, Coldwater; (pepper)
6p - Wolfwood, Hornwood, Riverrun, Ironaks, Starfell, Stonehelm; (red)
7p - add Craster's Keep; (yellow)
8p - add Ice Rivers; (yellow)
9p - add Tumbleton. (yellow)
See the image for more ease: http://oi46.tinypic.com/xc15km.jpg

I thought, what about the setup? This map has got 94 terries, it means 18 each one in case of 5p and 15 in case of 6p. Is it possible to reduce them to 17 and 14 please?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Thorpe wrote:
As a team we need be on the same page and most map makers have paint.net and there is a program for the caps in that format that you can get from Vexer that makes the cap placements easy to understand.

I did not take your comments as mean...just you gave me nothing to work with ...just you did not like some of the map...you were right about the top of the map with a ocean...I did not know why I put one around the top of map...LOL!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
I will make a caps template in GIMP for you The_Bishop. Just give me a couple days.
marcoxa wrote:
when your finished can i have one as well? i'd like to learn how to do caps for future maps
Vexer wrote:
Here is the template:

http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Capitals.xcf

You should double or triple the length of the canvas and have multiple copies of the map with, for example, 2-5 player capitals positions on one copy and 6-9 on the other.

You can find the template in paint.net, photoshop and adobe fireworks format in the guide. I have redone the san francisco caps image using this template and will post a link to it later tonight in the guide as an example of how to properly use the template.
The_Bishop wrote:
Very thanks Vexer...
Probably I need an updated version, my gimp rejects to open that template.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Vexer wrote:
are you not using 2.8 yet? I highly recommend updating. You can try opening the photoshop version in gimp and see if that works.
Vexer wrote:
here is an updated version of the map without ocean where it doesn't belong on the top.

http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Westeros%20Risk%20Map.jpg

About The_Bishop's new capitals suggestions we are still waiting for him to create a proper image using the template before we can evaluate them.
Thorpe wrote:
I knew you could improve on mine and thx. Looks good.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next