A 91 territory map of the world by Fendi
  • 172 posts
  • Page 1 of 12
Vexer wrote:
I am really excited about Fendi's map. We have really needed a map like this in order to better compete with other sites. It's very important that we get this right so we need everyone's help with it.

The map still needs connection lines and region bonuses. The regions can still be changed if needed. So where do you guys want the connection lines to go? If you're up to it, you could opened up this jpeg in a paint program and draw some black lines and put big numbers over the regions for the bonuses. that might be easier and quicker than trying to type out your suggestions. you could then upload your image to imageshack.us and paste the link here.

here's a list of what the abbreviations stand for:

N.A:
YK - Yukon Territory
NT - Northwest Territory
BC - British Columbia

Africa:
DRC - Dem. Rep of the Congo

Europe:
UK - United Kingdom
FGI - France/Germany/Italy
UG - Ukraine/ Greece
BP - Baltic's/ Polen

Asia:
SA - Saudi Arabia

South East Asia/ Australia:
PNG - Papa New Guinea
NSW - New South Wales
NT - Northern Territory

The map will say for example FGI, but when you get the card it will say FGI (France/Germany/Italy). It will also display the full name in the log.

Also, what do you guys think of the colors, text and background?

[image]

* Update

final image
http://www.dominating12.com/image/map/22.large.jpg
Paddlin wrote:
Great job fendi.

First question, have you considered reducing the amount of territories? 

I know this had to take a tremendous amount of time, so kudos to you.
Fendi wrote:
Hello all.

First and foremost I would like to Thank Vexer for starting this post and for all the effort he has put into the map.

Secondly, the abbreviation for the Northwest Territory " NT " is now " NWT ".
This is to minimize the confusion between Northwest Territory in N.A and Northern Territory in Australia.

@ Paddlin, Yes I have. This map had from the start almost 100 territories.
I would not mind reducing the amount so if you have any suggestions, please say.

This applies to everyone, Feel free to give suggestions of any changes You want me to do. =)

Take care.
Votazap wrote:
I love the amount of territories,will make longer games! = )

But I do think cartography will be a nightmare LOL!!!!!

Great job Fendi, I love this map, I will give you further

suggestions after i study the map and think some more.

To the left of South America it looks as though someone had

left a cold glass of water and some spilled. I think we should

change that but whatever you guys decide. =)
Vexer wrote:
we can easily flip the map's background so that the cup stain is hidden behind north america. is there anyone else who doesn't like it? Anyone who does?

I know you'd like to take more time to think about the game play of the map before commenting on that, but could someone at least comment on the colors, the text and the overall look and feel?
Fendi wrote:
Here is a small update:

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1595/88territories.jpg

I have changed the abbreviation for the Northwest Territory
and created space between S. and the territory name, same goes for the others.

@ Votazap, Someone was drinking coffee while creating this map.
Im not going to say any names because Im sure that person knows who
he/she is. =)
Thorpe wrote:
First leave the coffee stain but put Fendi name on it! Maybe make it smaller. That can be her trade mark.
I like the dark color in the background in the top left hand of the map for all of the background. The map seems to bright, maybe middle should be dark and then move to light when you move out.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
the names seem to blend to much with the color of the land. Are you going to make a connection to Auzie? That is the sweet spot! Is this map going to be another scrolling map? If so push the land masses closer to fit on one screen.

Did I tell you I love the double Caribbean map? My favorite map!

U.S and Middle east seem to be the same color, Canada and Turkey also.

What a great map. Can't wait to play it {when I have a full day to sit}!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Paddlin wrote:
I would personally reduce territories in Africa and the Middle East. Also, whatever that is North of Australia and take 1 or 2 out of Australia.  
Fendi wrote:
Thank you for commenting on the colours Thorpe.

I will see what I can do about the names, its most likely that I will be changing the colours of the territories.
As you can see, I have used the same colours numerous times. I also like your idea Thorpe about the middle being dark.

I have yet created any connections. The idea is that each one of you should have a chance to take part of this map since its for Everyone who plays here .
But rest assured, There will be a connection from Australia.
I am not sure about the regions, if any of You got something better in mind, please say. They can be changed.

I dont think this will be a scrolling map since I took the same settings as the World map we have here.

@Paddlin, Thank you for the suggestion. But Im afraid I have wait until everyone comes to an agreement before making any major changes.
Pntbttr wrote:
I LOVE IT! Great job 88 territories I think you could even add more territories (Have you considered New Zeland and Antartica? AntArtica could be one territory no bonuses or anything I mean nobody really wants to own a gaint block of ice were nobody lives)! After I look at it a little I will give you my idea on the connection lines.
Vexer wrote:
thanks pntbttr for being willing to share your ideas on connection lines.

@Thorpe, it is ok to reuse colors for regions. you almost have to when you have this many regions because only certain colors go with other colors. Everyone should just assume that using the same colors has no meaning unless otherwise stated on the map.
Also, I have an idea for the text to make it more legible.

I'll need more time to think about paddlin's suggestions before i can say whether I agree or disagree.
Vexer wrote:
I am in complete disagreement with thorpe about wanting the background darker. If the whole background was dark like that then it wouldn't look like paper anymore. Also, if that is too bright, maybe you should turn the brightness on your monitor down, cause that's not bright.
Vexer wrote:
Paddlin is probably right about Africa being too crowded. I think everywhere else looks fine though. The Africa countries have already been reduced to all the larger countries so the only way i can see to reduce it even more would be to combine some together and abbreviate it just like FGI is a combo of France, Germany and Italy. Any suggestions about which territories should be combined and abbreviated Paddlin?