original (click to show)

Post #106 (click to show)

Click for full view

edited 27/06  forgot connection - somalia to india
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Not sure if it's better. I kinda really liked the old one :S

Sorry
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I have no opinion on this map, as I rarely played it and rarely view it.
I can give a graphic opinion.
I saw nothing wrong with the original map, it has a great hand drawn feel about it and the contrast is excellent.

Here are the mini-maps for the current map and Hood's version.
[image][image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
No need to be sorry, never offended, I just enjoy the process and experimentation.
The original is one of my fav to play on, and admired the craftsmanship, and just as glanru suggested an update for usa, Fendi mentioned she'd hoped to have the World Expanded redone by someone. not necessarily me lol, but it was reason to dabble away.
dough_boy wrote:
I kind of like the new one. The numbers in the smaller map look fuzzy to me.

I think the only other change would be if you could bring back the mountains for areas that had them, i.e. Chile, USA, etc.
Hoodlum wrote:
an idea is..could be, have nz playable and add antarctica as another region and call it World Expanded Modified lol.
Thorpe wrote:
this map needs a update? No and another no on update. Seems all the maps are getting the same look 
If it ain't broke do not fix it...hate to see my Brazil map changed, but I am only the guy that made it so what do I know.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Fendi wrote:
I'm the one who requested for an update. The look of this map has been annoying me for years now. I can't stand it anymore. I had redone it and cleaned it up a bit few years back but that version was not approved by Vexer and thus never went active. The version is unfortunately backed-up on a broken hard drive that I am currently trying to fix, so it might take some time before I'm able to post it here.

Hoodlum has done a great job with the modified look but since this map is among the popular ones, we might be better off waiting a bit and see what everyone has to say.

Edit:
I managed to find the image somewhere but not the source file. Here is what I had created some time ago. My main goal was to give the new version a more cleaner look and spacious feel ( thank you aeronautic!)
Original (click to show)
New Version (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
I only like to upgrade a map if it needs it.
Sometimes, what feels like a substandard map to the creator, is actually a thing of beauty to a lot of people and sometimes what feels like a brilliant map to the creator, is actually an ugly thing to most people.

I would normally only upgrade if there were errors, bad graphics, lack of intuitiveness, but this map has none of those (that I know of).

If the forum people kept stating a flaw or dislike, I would upgrade / alter only that.

@Fendi, your cleaner map actually reduces the character of your rough & ready map, not to mention the reduction in colour saturation & outline thickness also reduce the contrast of the map.

In my opinion, the only thing that needed altering was the thickness of the outline, but the new thinner one would have to have been darkened to keep the contrast.

I vote for keeping the original and only altering anything that negatively affects the game / aesthetics.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Original (click to show)
Post#116 (click to show)

Click for 100% view

Found a background similar..coffee stain..looks like it must of been from the same source. meshed the texture/colors with the other version.
Thorpe wrote:
not bad sea background "I want it"...can you do something with  ... S. America and Yemen colors or texture seem wrong. They stand out more than the others.
Maybe the white in them. It might just be me though.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
aeronautic wrote:
See, now that's what I'm talking about!

If you're going to upgrade something, make it so that people don't even know it's been upgraded, copy all the colours and textures.
I did just that to the Isthmus of Panama map (from a flat image).
Panama upgrade (click to show)

Excellent matching there Hood !

There are a few things that need refining.
Move "Vietnam" label to the left.
The Outline on the NW coast of Africa, stands out as darker when compared to Spain. The whole map outline needs to look like NW Africa.
The minimap is blurring on your program, when the map is finished, put it up here without the minimap on it and I'll make it and post it here.
Hoodlum wrote:
for minimap (click to show)

outline edit (click to show)

double layered the outline. there was some hidden black under some parts of the map making it look darker...same with parts of the border lines.
has been edited.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Hood.

aero above
Move "Vietnam" label to the left.
Here's the minimap (already sized to fit and outlined), Copy & Paste it as a new layer)
[image]