A 91 territory map of the world by Fendi
  • 172 posts
  • Page 7 of 12
aeronautic wrote:
For reference (click to show)
The_Bishop
But if I can suggest anything about graphics there is a couple of regions that I would change the colours.

West Africa and East Africa have practically the same colours, I think the second one should be red instead of sky-blue.
And then the sky-blue can be given to Australia that I really don't like in grey.

And now that I am looking at it better, Central America may be purple to not leave Arabia alone with that colour.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I'm really not sure if red would work in afrika, it already has yellow and orange.
Purple might work on Central America, but not sure if it's worth updating the map for.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I have seen recently that some people feel that this map could do with a graphics overhaul.

Personally I don't agree!
This map has a well worn look, giving the feel that it has been here for a long time and it has.
I don't like change for the sake of change, it has to be because it's not working or is not the best it can be and that is not the case with this map.
There are so many maps that could be more vibrant / vivid, but that would just make this map lose it's aesthetic appeal.
I do wish to revisit the NZ map, I feel it was pushed away from the best it could be, during development (this can happen when there is another suggested version to relate to or compare with). I always prefer to stick with the new map and develop it until we find the magic balance, just like UK & Ireland.

For me, World Expanded is a really nice looking well worn map (coffee cup stain inclusive), looking like a proper board game, which makes me feel relaxed when I view it.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
i agree, agree. I love the look of world expanded map, cept for the way nz looks looks on it :)
Agree on the NZ map too, that it could be more awesomer :)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
HammerTime wrote:
For me, this is one of the best maps on the site..not only for looks but for its playability...although I could see myself enjoying a tougher version of this map..ie rivers/mountains/lakes..making it a little harder to navigate, it would also add some eye candy...making the ocean, s an lakes blue ..would this not make the colour's and land ,stand out more?
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
aeronautic wrote:
As in most cases where it is suggested to change graphics on a map, as I said before, only if it needs it.

If there is a map that you have in mind that would be interesting or challenging, it should be a new map with that sort of set up.
This is what the Map Suggestions forum is mainly used for... to give ideas of what you would like for game-play on a suitable new geographical or fictional map.
People who are not map makers can simply copy & paste a map into a drawing package and draw over the top of it with the sort of impassable and connection settings they think would work well. If then there is interest in it, perhaps a cartographer may volunteer to set it up and develop it ready for graphic finishing. However, the more information and assistance that is given, gives a suggestion a better chance of becoming a reality.
Sygmassacre wrote:
This map would be even cooler if it had super continents that give extra bonuses (like holding all of South America, Asia, Europe etc), basically the continents on world classic. So instead of just 5 extra from the 3 smaller S.America continents you get an extra 2 or 3 for controlling all three of them
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Cireon wrote:
There are super continents on this map. A lot of regions can be grouped into a single region that are really easy to defend together and give a nice bonus. The challenge is figuring them out. This map does not need changes to gameplay.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aaronfever wrote:
I'm playing a game on this map right now, and because of it's tiny size, no one could figure out what region Iceland belonged to, it was completely covered by the troop number.

Would it be possible to make Iceland bigger, either on the map or the minimap?
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
The_Bishop wrote:
I fully agree with Cireon.

Anyway as it is now usually opponents don't let you hold a easy-to-defend super region, so adding an extra "super bonus" probably wouldn't make a great change, at the cost of making the minimap confusing (if not the whole map). Plus, the Asian Turkey and the European Moscow would be hard to decide which continent belong to.

@Sygma, it's a good gameplay idea, but I woudn't apply it to this map and in general I would never change a very popular map with so many thousands of games played.

@aaronfever, moving the circle a bit on the right would be much more easy to do and wouldn't ruin the geographical accuracy.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aaronfever wrote:
Another issue is the colour of the continent with the territories Sudan & Egypt, it's too similarly coloured as the map background. This wouldn't matter as much if there wasn't a tiny space in between that separated those two territories from the another continent. The colours of that continent should be switched with the browner one below it. The colour is dark enough to make better visibility of what's the map and what's a territory.
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
aeronautic wrote:
I don't see any difficulty in distinguishing the African (Yellow 4) region colour. It doesn't look anything like similar to the background and is totally distinguishable from its neighbouring regions, plus it has a thick outline bordering the background, so I see this as not a problem or an issue requiring any discussion.

Please try adjusting the Gamma settings on your computer screen and the angle of the monitor to see the true intended colours and contrast.
Hoodlum wrote:
i like the original, but Fendi mentioned a re-do for the map. Drawing a better nz on it as enough motivation to play around with it :), but it is also my fav map for fav game setting.

Anyway, here's an attempt. 1024 / 640 - only label change was, Queensland to QLD. If you have NSW, gotta have QLD!

original (click to show)

post#103 (click to show)

Click for full view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
Ship it!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Hold Horses!

It's very well done and lovely and clean, but it's lacking that rough old map look of the original with the stained parchment paper coming through.

If you could just get the feel of the stained parchment paper to come through everything very subtly, that would probably do it.
Also, before it goes live, it has to get some feedback and a couple of people will need to check the Labels & Territories.

At first glance, beside the texture of the map, the Bonus Numbers would look better as a similar font & the same size as the original.
Yemen label needs to come down a bit to overlap the Yemen territory, as it's more in Saudi Arabia.