Map Submission
  • 238 posts
  • Page 6 of 16
Star0Dweller wrote:
What is the problem with each player in a four player game starting with 12 territories? Does the total number of territories have to be divisible by 4 for coding purposes? I figured the remainder could just be assigned as neutral to start.
PsymonStark wrote:
It is not a technical problem, but a fairness problem.

The problem is 12 territories correspond to 4 troops for each player. If on the first turn, the first player gets a territory of any other player, his reinforcements drop to 3 then it gives an advantage to the player moving first.

Still it is pending an update which will reduce the territories assigned by one in the cases of 12, 15 and 18 starting territories so we can get rid of this problem. But that will take some time because the programmers have a lot of things to do.

Edit: Wasn't it supposed to feature 52 terries from the first post? Did you miscount Bishop or did any territory get merged without me noticing?

Reedit: Aha! A territory on Southern Earth Kingdom disappeared and no one noticed!
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Checking the map progress it looks like Nan Shane (light green region) disappeared in the early...

I never miscount!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
I was joking... sometimes I miscount!

Please aaronfever and Star0Dweller be patient with that, the addition of 1 territory is crucial for this map. The anti-multiple-of-3 function has not been implemented yet, since 51 is still in the forbidden range. But also when it will be implemented, still 51 will be a bad numbers for producing a great amount of neutrals. 7 on 51 is something close to 14%, I surely won't join games like that.

The positive note is that the removal of Nan Shane caused the two large green regions to be perfectly equal with the same number of territories and the same number of bordering territories.

Maybe you can manage to add one territory to the yellow region giving the same amount of the red one. I don't know if that island next to Republic City has a name, but it may be useful to create a dead-end territory that is a tactical/strategical theme that many like.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aaronfever wrote:
The_Bishop - Mar 17, 08:30 PM
The positive note is that the removal of Nan Shane caused the two large green regions to be perfectly equal with the same number of territories and the same number of bordering territories.

That was the reason I removed Nan Shan in the first place. No one said anything, so I forgot about the number of territories.

The_Bishop - Mar 17, 08:30 PM
Maybe you can manage to add one territory to the yellow region giving the same amount of the red one. I don't know if that island next to Republic City has a name, but it may be useful to create a dead-end territory that is a tactical/strategical theme that many like.

It could very well be air temple island (it is a part of Republic City, not the air nation). Sadly, it's a tiny island with a long name... (What's a crying emoji?) I'll add it though.
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
PsymonStark wrote:
:'[?

The problem with Air Temple Island is that can be mistaken as part of the bonus... The ideal place for an extra territory is that one though.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Aaronfever, believe it or not I have been following this thread from the beginning and I have been pleased to see the great improvements that have been made to an already brilliant map. I have a few suggestions for further improvements:
1) I feel that the title and signatures are a little bland and basic, but that's just an opinion.
2) Maybe the North Pole<->South Pole connection is unnecessary, as there is already good overall connectivity with the four Air Temples. Again this is just opinion.
3) I've never seen a map with such limited texture, but maybe it is good for this map.
4) Two more arrows are needed for the southern air temple region.
EDIT: 5) I feel that the lands in the minimap need a slight outline.

Overall the map does look amazing!! :)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aaronfever wrote:
Added the new territory to the United Republic (orange), created new connection lines that are less distracting (click to show)

aaronfever - Mar 17, 08:42 PM
That was the reason I removed Nan Shan in the first place. No one said anything, so I forgot about the number of territories.
It could very well be air temple island (it is a part of Republic City, not the air nation). Sadly, it's a tiny island with a long name... :'[ I'll add it though.

Hoodlum - Mar 14, 10:46 PM
showed my kids this, they love it.
That makes me very happy to hear! I'm glad they like the map.

Virtuosity98 - Mar 17, 09:13 PM
1) I feel that the title and signatures are a little bland and basic, but that's just an opinion.
2) Maybe the North Pole<->South Pole connection is unnecessary, as there is already good overall connectivity with the four Air Temples. Again this is just opinion.
3) I've never seen a map with such limited texture, but maybe it is good for this map.
4) Two more arrows are needed for the southern air temple region.

I believe you.Thanks for the positive comments.

1) It's been brought up, and I'll look into something.
2) It was removed for a bit. However, it's useful in order to stop the north and south poles from being too secluded. By connecting them, they'll each have three borders with other regions. The two are also connected in the source material.
3) Ya, welcome to the club. I've been fighting for the limited texture since the beginning.
4) The newest version should fix that. You posted within the same minute, right before me, so you didn't see it when you posted.
Matty wrote:
In all other maps I would agree and demand more texture, but on this map it's just perfect this way.

About the dotted lines:
Can you remove the dotted line inside the green region and replace it with an arrow? And the other way around in the red region?
That way a region either has all internal connections as dotted lines, or as arrows, not a combination of the two. Seems more consistent.

Also, can you make the dots a tiny bit bolder and spread out from each other? Not sure, but they seem to get less thick at one side and thicker at the other side. Feels weird.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
One thing here, could you remove the part of the dotted lines below the circles? The junctions seem strange, and don't look very good in my opinion.
aaronfever wrote:
changed dotted lines (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
You are progressing well with this map, acknowledging the feedback to get the game-play and intuitiveness good for a D12 game map.

I would like to express a few concerns that I would like you to focus on for now:

Title & Signatures:
As V98 mentioned in Post #82, the title does not seem to fit the map, I know you acknowledged this and will be making a more suitable one.
Signatures should not be a feature and should be as inconspicuous as possible (see other maps). They are there purely for copyright/creative rights of the image, your account names will also appear as Authors of the map on D12 when selected / viewed.

Land Texture:
Although I know nothing about the Avatar or Korra series, I have searched the official maps and even though they are a different format, being visual images rather than game maps, they show the true terrain, such as this one: http://i.imgur.com/rtoh22X.jpg
The only maps I can find online that are also flat and textureless are other people's versions of the map, which are really very basic, such as someones version of a Political Map: http://loudo.deviantart.com/art/World-of-Avatar-Political-Map-Legend-of-Korra-442568439. Other official maps are normally 3D artistic maps like this: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8306408148_056c8149c4_o.jpg
Therefore, I have to disagree with not putting any more texture to the land map, it is too flat and needs a bit of substance. The texture doesn't have to be the true terrain, that would be unsuitable too, it just needs to be a representation that the land has substance.

In case you are having trouble finding a suitable texture, I have made a couple for you in Greyscale that might be of use, where you can put one that you choose above / below or above & below your land and reduce opacity to suit, compensating with land colour saturation, brightness, contrast etc (sized to the whole map, just delete all the parts not on the land).
You don't have to use these, but I won't make a request without at least trying to assist.
Texture 1 (click to show)
Texture 2 (click to show)
Example of land with texture (click to show)
Dotted Lines & Arrows:
The mix of the two I feel is unnecessary and confusing. I think you should choose one or the other and use it throughout. Also, if you use dotted/dashed connection lines, they don't have to go over the land at all, they can pass behind it as long as they link each section of land to the next required, this way they don't dominate the land, or hinder the easy viewing of Circles & Labels that need their own clear space. The arrows seemed to work for all the advisers, perhaps it would be best to stick to these?! You have also used straight line connections for dotted lines and all curves for the arrows, again a mismatch and your curved arrows seemed to be a preference of the advisers.

Sorry if it sounds like a lot, but it is only really 3 important points at this stage.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Aero, even not having watched the anime, I have seen a lot of concept art (which I can't link now because I am on my phone) and must say that this map needs a much subtler texture than usual to fit the theme. Not an almost plain image maybe, but definitely not as strong as we are used to.

On the connections, I preferred the first solid lines. They gave more spirit to the map than the dotted lines and I like the fact that they are not below the color layer. Those dotted lines seem more boring.

According to the map that aero posted, the new territory should be called Zhengfu or Zhengfu Island. That would get rid of the possible confusion created by Air Temple Island.
naathim wrote:
If aaron and star have the technical abilities I'd love to see mountains/volcanoes like in the opening sequence from the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUgCzEdx9k

But I think it looks good with the gloss finish. At the very least keeping the texture light and unobtrusive.

I like the air temple island addition. Looks good.

I'm of two minds about the dotted connection lines. I think they do help to make it clear and they're less idk distracting than the arrows on the islands. However, a lot of the islands just don't have a lot of room between them so if you just use the dotted lines, they're very short and you wouldn't see them, which I assume is why they're over the land. But if you put them over the land they do look kind of out of place.

I think going back to the swoopy arrows will be the better choice in this instance.
Vexer wrote:
PsymonStark - Mar 18, 12:44 AM
On the connections, I preferred the first solid lines. They gave more spirit to the map than the dotted lines and I like the fact that they are not below the color layer. Those dotted lines seem more boring.

Me too.