Map Submission
  • 238 posts
  • Page 3 of 16
naathim wrote:
All in all I think it looks great! A very pretty and clean map.

Clever idea to change the bisons colors to differentiate!

I'd say gameplay is solid enough. I'd say it's more of a caps map than deathmatch. With the new connections in the Earth kingdom, does the bonus need to be bumped up by one? +6's in each? I think +5's would work just as well, cause it'll be hard to get and hold those regions, but don't know what the formula calls for.

The bonus for the air temples is a little unclear. And also crowds that area of the map a bit. Maybe consider moving it up into where you currently have your signature and adding a little explainer/making it more clear? Maybe for the +4 bonus one change two to the brown color? Or like under a little banner 'Bonus for Air Temples'. It would balance out the map moving it up there, that way all four corners have something bigger.

Put sigs under the mini map or port explainer?

Maybe tone down or eliminate the glow behind the territory names? I don't know if that would make it look better or worse. But as it is it seems a little distracting. I think because it shows up differently over the different color backgrounds. Maybe just test and consider that suggestion.

Really looking good though guys!

(Oh, PS, the title looks a little plain? Maybe some highlighting/bordering around the font? Just to make it pop a bit.)
aeronautic wrote:
One little point. The Flying Bisons have now got the colour coding I suggested for the Air Temples, which is far more intuitive, but they also face in grouped directions as well and the Legend has them the opposite way around for their colour.
Last version for reference (click to show)
I am ruing the day that OXEN gets to see this map!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Also, I think you should colour one brown bison in the bonus legend for 3 temples, and 2 brown bisons on the 4 temples, to be coherent with the rest of the map.

I edit so I don't spam a lot over this: yes I thought that too. I don't know what to prefer. If it is problematic it can be changed later.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
I thought about that too Psymon, but feared it would cause some players to think they have to get 2 white and 1 brown to get the bonus. It might be better to keep them all one colour, which ever they decide.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Star0Dweller wrote:
PsymonStark - Mar 5, 11:13 PM
Well on the map itself, I believe that you have mistaken the Vexer formula. The formula takes into account the number of territories of the studied regions which border another region, and not the number of territories that can attack the region. For these means, Western and Eastern Air Temples should be a 1, Northern and Southern Air Temples should be a 2, and Water Tribes should be 2 each. The rest of the bonus are right.

According to the following post (http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1858), the Vexer formula is the following:

Bonus = Number of territories / 3 + Number of territories to defend / 2.5

To clarify your comment, I assume you are referring to the second term in the equation? Let's consider the Eastern Air Temple. It has three territories. As for the second term, I would say it is two because it has 2 different territories to defend from territories external to the region - Eastern Air Temple and Lightning Peak (Air Bison Range cannot be attacked from outside the region). That would be 3/3 + 2/2.5 = 1 + 0.8 = 1.8 which rounds up to 2.

I guess I am misinterpreting the formula. Or perhaps the equation requires a floor as opposed to simply rounding. Can you elaborate?

aaronfever wrote:
Newest (click to show)
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
Star0Dweller wrote:
You will also notice that we have changed the bonus bison to be half of each colour, to clarify that owning any of the temples awards the bonuses as indicated.
PsymonStark wrote:
Simpler than that, it's just an exception. What happens is that I'm used to these 3/2 regions being assigned 1 and didn't notice it is not following the formula. You're applying it correctly.

But normally the corresponding bonus for these regions is 1.
aeronautic wrote:
Are you using 2 different fonts for the territory labels? I notice that Mountain Pass and a few others have a different "A" and "U" in particular, but they are all different font letters.
PsymonStark wrote:
I already noticed that but I guess is just uppercase characters.
aeronautic wrote:
Even if this is a capital letter only font and has a different set of characters using the caps lock, they still have to be all one way or the other.
aeronautic wrote:
One little tip, when posting versions and updates, use a number or letter reference on the spoiler title so that we can relate to other versions accurately without describing the page and #Post.
BOE 4 (click to show)
Star0Dweller wrote:
PsymonStark - Mar 10, 08:12 AM
Simpler than that, it's just an exception. What happens is that I'm used to these 3/2 regions being assigned 1 and didn't notice it is not following the formula. You're applying it correctly.

But normally the corresponding bonus for these regions is 1.

I agree that it is more appropriate for these regions to have a bonus of 1 even if the formula yields 2.
aaronfever wrote:
aeronautic - Mar 10, 11:19 AM
Even if this is a capital letter only font and has a different set of characters using the caps lock, they still have to be all one way or the other.

Elements v.5 (click to show)

Fixed. Thanks for the tip, I added a spoiler title.
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
PsymonStark wrote:
:( I preferred all with lowercase, the A is more standard than the a. It was a nice detail Others? Anyway, your name is still inconsistent.