Map Submission
  • 238 posts
  • Page 5 of 16
aaronfever wrote:
v8 with lighter texture, and lighter continent shadow (click to show)
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
naathim wrote:
Firey is spelled wrong. Should be Fiery, I thought there was something up with that, couldn't figure out what it was though lol.

I'm used to maps with a lot more texture to them, but I honestly kind of like the smooth/flat look this has.

I love that dark glow you put around the coasts though! Absolutely wonderful!!

I know you want to keep the temple bonus graphic next to the map to make it easier to understand. But I'm going to keep harping on this til you change it lol. Move it to the upper right blank corner. And put an explainer above it saying Bonus for Air Temples. There is plenty of room there. It won't look any more squashed than it does right now down by the mini map. It gives you the room to actually explain what you mean instead of just a +1 graphic. And will also help to fill in the blank space.

OR you can move the explainer for the contiguous air temples to the upper right corner and move the bonus graphic down to the lower right corner. That way the mini map and the bonus are on the same level. That might even be the better solution.

Really looking great guys!!
Cireon wrote:
I liked the connection lines with arrows better.

Otherwise completely agree with naathim. This map is like a wish come true for me ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
I liked the connection lines without the arrows but I'm ok with either.
Matty wrote:
Same as Vexer, I like the one without arrows a tiny bit better but both are fine.
I also don't see a problem with the placing of the legend, but you can just try to see how it looks if they are moved and then revert back later if this one is better. One can always try :)

I too am used to more saturated and heavier textured maps, this one is cartoonish, but for as far as I know that fits the theme exactly. Also it's nice to have a map that is different, I love it.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I must confess, I know nothing about this program or the map and will only remark on its suitability in quality, relying totally on the feedback of those familiar with it and its accurate / best representation for D12.

I won't try to force too many changes if the advisers deem it right, I will, as you have noticed, pick up on the things that have to be right and intuitive. There will also be a point before this eventually goes to Beta where the source file will be required to be sent to a Cartographer that uses Photoshop for the final tweaking.
I hope you will be happy to do this?
For the record, which program are you using to create this?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aaronfever wrote:
aeronautic - Mar 15, 11:38 PM
I must confess, I know nothing about this program or the map and will only remark on its suitability in quality, relying totally on the feedback of those familiar with it and its accurate / best representation for D12.

I won't try to force too many changes if the advisers deem it right, I will, as you have noticed, pick up on the things that have to be right and intuitive. There will also be a point before this eventually goes to Beta where the source file will be required to be sent to a Cartographer that uses Photoshop for the final tweaking.
I hope you will be happy to do this?
For the record, which program are you using to create this?

I appreciate the all the constructive criticism and I've been working on the improvements and ideas suggested. You guys are the pros.

This map is created and edited in Adobe Illustrator. For final tweaks, I can save it in a PSD format, just let me know whether or not to transfer all my objects and layers as vector objects or to rasterize them.

Quick question though, why do we send the maps to a cartographer, and what do they do with the map?
PsymonStark wrote:
We lost again the arrows in Fire Nation and the North-South connection?!
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
I do not use vector graphics or layer masks very much, I like the alternative methods available in Photoshop and can manipulate everything easier this way, so please rasterize before sending if it's to me, but I believe Psymon works mainly with vector graphics, so keep it this way if it is him you send it to (Psymon will let you know).
We will let you know which one has the most time available to finalise it, when the time comes.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aaronfever wrote:
PsymonStark - Mar 16, 08:27 AM
We lost again the arrows in Fire Nation and the North-South connection?!

That's a mistake :p
aaronfever wrote:
v9 with extra arrows, more bonus explanation, and spelling corrections (click to show)

I'm not in love with all the arrows, do we really need them for the fire nation (red) islands? It seems obvious based on the general direction of the islands. In cases like the E/W air temples (grey), it's pretty confusing, so lines need to be included.

aeronautic - Mar 16, 01:54 PM
I believe Psymon works mainly with vector graphics, so keep it this way if it is him you send it to (Psymon will let you know).

Also, if Psy works with vectors, I ask if psy can do the final tweaks. Of course, if s/he can't I can rasterize easily. My only issue is with raster images, not those who use photoshop. Work has made me bitter... :(
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't like either having that many arrows on the map (must say that liked better the lines). If we could figure out a subtler version of a connection for inner ones, that would make a difference.

I can give a try to vectors. I'm unsure though about what tweaks aero wants to do, so I'm still not sure if I will be able to do it vectorised or not.

Also, Chameleon Bay-Tu Zin connection is blackened for one reason or another.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
You seem to have long arrows that go all the way around from (territory) circle to circle.
What if you just use very small (and straight?) arrows (or lines?) that go straight across the channel between the islands, so they can be very small.

Especially the island of the western temple has unnescessary long arrows going all the way around (you might have to move a territory circle a bit to make it look as if land is connected to land, instead of a territory circle connected to land).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I agree with Matty about the arrows. Also I think one arrow is missing between Patola Range and Southern Air Temple.
Potentially the first map with the use of wormholes instead of ports!

+4 for holding 4 Air Temples may be a bit too high in my opinion, +3 seemed enough, but okay it's only a tiny difference.
Edit: 51 territories is a forbidden size because it cause 4 players with 12 territories each, that is not such a fair start! But if you add just 1 you'll have a nice size of 52 territories, that doesn't encounter this problem anymore, being 52 = 4 x 13.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein