Map Submission
  • 238 posts
  • Page 7 of 16
aaronfever wrote:
Here is the newest iteration
v.11 - new textures, removal of dotted line, new territory name (click to show)

naathim - Mar 18, 01:59 AM
If aaron and star have the technical abilities I'd love to see mountains/volcanoes like in the opening sequence from the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUgCzEdx9k
I've tried it, and I'm not a fan.

PsymonStark - Mar 18, 12:44 AM
According to the map that aero posted, the new territory should be called Zhengfu or Zhengfu Island. That would get rid of the possible confusion created by Air Temple Island.
I was VERY influenced by the third map, a lot of the names are even from there.

In fact, Lightning Peak is named after the description of that island on the map, "Zuko dares the skies to strike him with lightening."

When it comes to the first map, I love the amount of detail when it comes to towns, and region names. However, I have ZERO idea where most of the names come from. Neither the shows, DVD/BLU audio commentaries (a very useful source), comics, nor video games have ever been to or named the island next to Republic City. For that reason, I prefer to use the official names of a location, region, or city even if they're not 100% accurate. No, that island is way too large to be Air Temple Island or Aang Memorial Island, however any fan will easily recognize those names as an island in that exact region. In the case of territories like Lightening Peak, I've made up a name based on events that have happened in that region.

aeronautic - Mar 18, 12:25 AM
Land Texture:
Although I know nothing about the Avatar or Korra series, I have searched the official maps and even though they are a different format, being visual images rather than game maps, they show the true terrain, such as this one: http://i.imgur.com/rtoh22X.jpg
The only maps I can find online that are also flat and textureless are other people's versions of the map, which are really very basic, such as someones version of a Political Map: http://loudo.deviantart.com/art/World-of-Avatar-Political-Map-Legend-of-Korra-442568439. Other official maps are normally 3D artistic maps like this: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8306408148_056c8149c4_o.jpg
Therefore, I have to disagree with not putting any more texture to the land map, it is too flat and needs a bit of substance. The texture doesn't have to be the true terrain, that would be unsuitable too, it just needs to be a representation that the land has substance.

In case you are having trouble finding a suitable texture, I have made a couple for you in Greyscale that might be of use, where you can put one that you choose above / below or above & below your land and reduce opacity to suit, compensating with land colour saturation, brightness, contrast etc (sized to the whole map, just delete all the parts not on the land).
You don't have to use these, but I won't make a request without at least trying to assist.
Texture 1 (click to show)
Texture 2 (click to show)
Example of land with texture (click to show)

Dotted Lines & Arrows:
The mix of the two I feel is unnecessary and confusing. I think you should choose one or the other and use it throughout. Also, if you use dotted/dashed connection lines, they don't have to go over the land at all, they can pass behind it as long as they link each section of land to the next required, this way they don't dominate the land, or hinder the easy viewing of Circles & Labels that need their own clear space. The arrows seemed to work for all the advisers, perhaps it would be best to stick to these?! You have also used straight line connections for dotted lines and all curves for the arrows, again a mismatch and your curved arrows seemed to be a preference of the advisers.
I'm using one of the textures you've provided.
The dotted lines are gone. They're now the curved arrowed lines like before. However, I've tried to tone them down.
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
Matty wrote:
The arrows instead of dotted lines are an improvement, but the texture is too much IMO.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I agree with Matty.
You can afford to reduce the opacity of the texture a little further. You have done well keeping the colours vibrant after adding a texture layer.
(Edit) it looks like you increased the contrast & or sharpness a little too much on the texture layer.
Much better with just arrows.
There are a couple of advisers stating a preference to the arrow-less lines you initially started with, I must admit, I preferred these too.
I have no idea why you changed to arrows, was it suggested?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aaronfever wrote:
new texture, no more arrows (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
That is better with the connection lines.
Oh, you got rid of the land texture layer?!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aaronfever wrote:
aeronautic - Mar 19, 01:39 AM
That is better with the connection lines.
Oh, you got rid of the land texture layer?!

Nope. Texture still there.
aeronautic wrote:
I have just compared it to an earlier version and it is indeed still there, just very subdued. I meant for it to be toned down just a little, but lets see what everyone thinks.

These connection lines you made are far better for the aesthetics & intuitiveness of the map, good job.

A few points:

I would prefer the signatures to be less prominent in colour and sit closer to the background colour so that they are readable, but not distracting from the game map.

The mini map should be an actual miniature of the main map.
To achieve this, switch off all unwanted layers, such as circles and territory labels, select all of the land with a marquee and then temporarily flatten the image, copy the image in the marquee, then undo the flatten and paste it as a new layer, then simply resize it and type your region names and bonuses above that layer.

I like the sliced effect you gave to the title, but am still not sold on its size, style and colour.

Chamaleon Bay should be Chameleon bay.

The territory divider lines on the Orange, Red & Grey regions are difficult to see, could you please darken them slightly.
--------------------------------------------------------
Could a cartographer / adviser please check the spelling of all the territory labels?
Star0Dweller wrote:
What in particular would you recommend for the title? Other map titles seem to err on the side of basic minimalist styles and we tried to achieve the same so as not to detract from the rest of the map.
aaronfever wrote:
aeronautic - Mar 19, 03:10 AM
A few points:

I would prefer the signatures to be less prominent in colour and sit closer to the background colour so that they are readable, but not distracting from the game map.

The mini map should be an actual miniature of the main map.
To achieve this, switch off all unwanted layers, such as circles and territory labels, select all of the land with a marquee and then temporarily flatten the image, copy the image in the marquee, then undo the flatten and paste it as a new layer, then simply resize it and type your region names and bonuses above that layer.

I like the sliced effect you gave to the title, but am still not sold on its size, style and colour.

Chamaleon Bay should be Chameleon bay.

The territory divider lines on the Orange, Red & Grey regions are difficult to see, could you please darken them slightly.
--------------------------------------------------------
Could a cartographer / adviser please check the spelling of all the territory labels?

v11 elements (click to show)

Signatures are now more hidden.

map is now a miniature of the actual map.

Chameleon Bay has been spellchecked.

Divider lines are darker.
aeronautic wrote:
@Star0Dweller why not base it on The Legend of Korra http://www.christiantoday.com/article/legend.of.korra.characters.are.gay.shows.creators.confirm/46795.htm , it will be more in keeping with the map and the story.

Earth Plains should be Earth Planes.

I have not checked all the words, I just put here what I come across, this is why I have asked for someone independent to proof read it all. There should be a bit of feedback by tomorrow.

Well done on all the updates and alterations, you are doing well guys!
aeronautic wrote:
If you can make a fitting look for the title and I can get a Cartographer to proof read it all and check for missing links, broken lines and the overall correctness of the map, I will be happy to go ahead and get it inputted into the system.

I really need you to also look at other signatures on our maps and make yours similar in concept, i.e. not multi-coloured and more subdued.

When it has been checked and the advisers have their final say on the map, I will need you to send the source file to either me or Psymon so we can quickly alter things that may be found in Beta testing. I will PM my email address for this, please do not share it with anyone or with any email contacts program such as LinkedIn.
PsymonStark wrote:
Ok, proofreading here (using this as source):

Firebending Master's Lair -> Firebending Masters' Lair
Whaletail Islands -> Whale Tail Islands
Abbey -> The Abbey
Lougai Riverland -> Laogai Riverland

Scorched Forest -> Hei Bei's Forest (?)
Memorial Island -> Mt. Makapu (?)

I think Earth Plains was correct? I can't find a reference on Earth Planes.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Okay about Plains, I guess it can be either in retrospect.
naathim wrote:
I just found this and had a nerdgasm!!!!@!!!!!! It's huge!!! And beautiful!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mudron/8306408148/sizes/o/

LOLOLOL just realized it's just an enlarged version of what psymon found :DDD

I think Psymon's correct on all his suggestions except Mt. Makapu. If you look at the huge map I link to, Mt. makapu is a volcano on the mainland adjacent to the island. I think Memorial Island is good enough.
aeronautic wrote:
Really?
Also see Post #87 & #91. LOL
The images Psymon linked to.
(Edit) Oh! and the same size. ;)