Map Submission
  • 238 posts
  • Page 15 of 16
aeronautic wrote:
@aaronfever (Game 470005) Yes, we had to make negative numbers specifically for your special bonuses. There are no other maps that use the incremental system that you chose and Psymon & I worked out a method and tested it specially for you. This was all discussed in this thread when we worked out your special bonuses.

What happens is, the bonus temple bonuses are added automatically and if you own 3 or 4 them, you would also receive permutations of the bonuses set for 2 & 3, which would give you too much bonus, so we set up negative figures that would cancel out the extra permutations. It looks weird in the log, but it is correct. You will notice that Star0Dweller still received the bonus he was due according to your Air Temple bonuses.

The many hundreds of layers were on the source file when you sent it to me.

I'm not sure if you would be able to do the changes from the original file now, because you asked me to move everything to the left before I was also asked to make more contrast for the white circles.

You will have to be able to move everything to match its set up and then change all the white regions to coloured tints of white (e.g. Greenish White, Bluish White etc.) as suggested in an earlier post. They will also need testing with the white Capital circles.

(Edit)
As far as I can remember, I only moved all the foreground layers as far left as they could go without infringing on the Title.
I changed the red region colour to not clash with the coloured troop circles.
I also put some spray where the capitals can be on the white regions.
I think it would be better for you use your file to make all the changes and then when you've put the demo here for approval, you can send me the source file again.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
Yes, that is because if you own three temples (say A,B,C), you get bonuses for all three pairs (AB; AC; BC) and need to only gain +2 instead of +3, that is why the -1 is added to offset this.

The system doesn't allow the complicated way of dealing with regions you desire, so this is a necessary "hack" to implement the gameplay mechanics. This has been discussed at length before, so rest assured that the actual reinforcements you get are correct.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aaronfever wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Aero and Cireon! I saw that it worked, but couldn't understand how. Whether there was an in-depth explanation of how the bonuses were added, I don't remember, nor would I have understood it at the time.

The changes are easy to make, they're aesthetic. To avoid my back-peddling on your progress, if you let me know what the new red colour is, I can reapply it. Moving the continents and adding a blue tint behind the territory number is simple.
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
aeronautic wrote:
The suggestion was to change the whole white regions to tints of coloured whites (off whites), with a Green White, a Blue White etc.

I put blue tinted spray behind where the Capitals can be, but it was mentioned that this doesn't look right when there's no Capital on it, rightly so, the whole region should have the tint and to distinguish them, they should all be different coloured tints.

I have tried working out how to just see the colour layer for the red region so that I can sample it for you, but the 100's of Groups and Paths that make up the lower layers are too many to find the right layers to switch of, the colour is not made up of one colour over a texture, it has many layers of effect, adjustment layers etc.
It would be far easier to simply try to match the colour of the red region from the live map and test it for contrast with a red player circle.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aaronfever wrote:
Continents are centred. I changed the marker backlight colour to one that's less noticeable but still highlights the capitals white circle.

Beta (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to edit the map.

However, all the edits were ones I had already done and the one that required your version of the source file was to change the white regions to tints of white instead of having spray (backlight) only where the capitals would be, as recommended by PsymonStark in Post #206

I have checked the red circles against the red region and they are fine.
I see that you lightened the backdrop spray on the white regions, but they still stand out as different to the rest of the region when there is not a Capital on them.

Could you please try removing the backdrop spray and adding a slight colour to each of the white regions (different colours for each), so that we can get approval from the map community and get your map out of Beta?
aaronfever wrote:
Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
It was the right thing for you to do the updates due to the program used and the number of layers it generates when converted to Photoshop.
The red region is better this way, as you were able to re-colour the correct layer instead of overlaying it and therefore maintained the texture.

The re-colouring of the white regions for the Capital placements was mostly successful, but there is still one region (Whaletail Islands region) that is still virtually invisible for Caps.
Cap contrast test (click to show)
Actually, Sun Warrior Ruins is virtually invisible too.
Also, I thought you were going to use a different colour tint for each white region?
aeronautic wrote:
@aaronfever & Star0Dweller:

Have you made the final changes mentioned above?

If so, can you please put your demo here so that we can check the final stage of the map.
As soon as that it is confirmed as finished with no colour issues, you can send me the source and I will make an optimised file and upload it.
I can then take it out of Beta and make it available to all players.
Madagascarter wrote:
How can the North Pole attach to the south when they should be the opposite sides of the globe?
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
aeronautic wrote:
Via the vast ocean without land between them, I should guess. :)
Cireon wrote:
The connection is from the lore. Both the North Pole and South Pole have a spirit portal. These portals in the spirit world are right next to each other connecting the two poles.

Why they didn't use this to fit the first season of TLA in only a few episodes... don't ask me ^^
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aaronfever wrote:
Cireon is spot on with the north and south connections.

final map? (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
@aaronfever, we're going to need that image again, it had errors.