Map Submission
  • 238 posts
  • Page 13 of 16
Cireon wrote:
Replacing the connection from The Abbey to Northern Capital to connect to Full Moon Shields instead would probably have the least effect on gameplay while making the required change (for which I can agree it is needed). Adding a connection between Desert's Hideaway and Full Moon Shields makes a bit more sense geographically, but might take some paths shorter.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
aaronfever
I'm noticing that the Northern Water Tribe (purple) needs another connection line. The Southern has 3, but the North only has 2 [borders]
How you're noticing it only now is mysterious for me. By the way I don't think is such a big problem. You will notice that also Fire Nation (red region) and the Yellow/Orange Region are not equal, the first has 3 borders the latter has 4.** But what's the problem? People will fight for the region they think is more convenient. The same is for S.A. and Aussy in World Classic.
[**That's why I wouldn't follow Cireon's proposal to connect Desrter Hideaway to the Northern region]

aaronfever
What's happened is that if someone has both of the Water Regions, they defender only needs to build up on 1 territory to defend itself
Yes 1 territory to defend on the North and 2 territories on the South, they form a "super-region" with 8 territories and 3 borders that gives a +4 bonus, not that bad.

And if someone think it is not good to have 2 small regions next to each other, then wanna highlight that here we have 3 pairs of small regions next each other. At the first sight the Pole Regions seem the most juicy but really also the Temple Regions are thanks to the special Temple bonuses.

aaronfever
I think The Abbey (Orange) should connect to Full Moon Shields (purple).
Yes it's possible if you think is needed. The Abbey would be a bit overloaded by connection lines. Perhaps Ice Peaks to Laghima's may be good as well?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
No, as defending both regions would require to defend three territories, one in the north and two in the south.

The current gameplay is slightly asymmetric which make for more interesting games depending on where you are. I wouldn't change a thing.

Edit: I hate when I answer a message in the bottom of the page and it's been already answered before.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Basically, I agree with Psymon, no changes needed for me.

Two pole regions unified in one super-regions is a feature that put in evidence a peculiarity of this map, being the first -- and probably for long time will be the only -- which has a North to South connection.

Apparently regions are not intended to be perfectly equal in this map (just as 99% of maps are), can look like an imprecision, but can be also a wanted effect to make the gameplay more interesting and less predictable (Psymon also said it)

In case make the beta-test a bit longer to discuss the subject.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I noticed this as well. I agree with the suggestion to keep it as it is.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aaronfever wrote:
The_Bishop - Mar 29, 10:03 AM
How you're noticing it only now is mysterious for me. By the way I don't think is such a big problem.

Too close to the project, I guess
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
Star0Dweller wrote:
I received some feedback that it may be a bit imbalanced having two +5 regions in the eastern part of the map. The suggestion was to consolidate the Northern Air Temple region with both Meeting Point and Forest Reserve, which would bring it from a +2 bonus to a +3 (now 5 territories, with 4 to defend). Geographically speaking both Meeting Point and Forest Reserve look like they would fit into this region, so it wouldn't be aesthetically out of place. This would result in the Northern Earth Kingdom being reduced from 9 territories/5 to defend to 7 territories/3 to defend giving it a +4 bonus.

I think this may be a decent way to split up this section of the map and make it a bit more appealing. It would still leave the +5 Southern Earth Kingdom region. Thoughts?
aeronautic wrote:
Game-Play should have been the first thing to be discussed in depth on this map as in all maps. Major changes like this will result in the map being returned to you the authors to finalise the game-play and then eventually passed back to me for fine tuning and restarting the Beta period, providing the changes meet the required standards. All games, Live & LT will be affected and will need informing of the changes, with dozens of point & stats returns to handle.

Please consider the source and legitimacy of the game-play concerns and bare in mind that above.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
It might have been something to consider, but I don't think it's worth changing now.

I am also unsure of whether or not it would actually improve the gameplay. There are already enough small regions, no need to force the map to be more like mediterranean, allow it to be itself.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I see no problem with the gameplay as it currently stands. Two large regions next to each other is not really a problem, especially given the high connectivity of the map. There are other maps with large, harder-to-hold regions next to each other. I actually think the map is more balanced than most, having the 4 air temple regions distributed evenly around the map, with larger regions between them.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Star0Dweller wrote:
I agree, I just wanted to mention the feedback. I think the regions are working fine as-is.
naathim wrote:
I'm really quite enjoying the gameplay on this map. It's fun because there's so many options on what to go for, and the crosswise connections really make it a mobile map.

I don't think I'd mind another connection in the North Pole, but I don't think it's needed.

And even though the two biggest regions are on one side, the next two biggest regions are on the other side. It works out ^^
Axobongo wrote:
My error when i first played was i didn't absorb the note in the upper right corner that explains air temples work like ports,, ''are connected'' it says..i think i wanted it to say ''air temples of same color ""can attack" each other." And i did have a thought that the text there could be just a little bit larger than the text of the region names,, But since it was my error i dont know if i should recommend those changes, except maybe making that text size a bit bigger.

i did notice the mini map has a quality of feeling like a region , and i figured i would have muted the color down a little on the mini map, had i made the map,,

( of course, i am only pointing out minor first impressions that may or may not influence certain players, as all maps become learned and understood in time, and that's part of the fun)

So, i think its a fine excellent map.

i distinctly like the electric feeling of the water area (partially created by effect of darker blue along shorelines, this being in reverse of nature gives it an effect like a solarized negative,, or something,, so, well done!)

well done all around ( plus great choice of water travel lines, so fitting for this map , they feel like speed and a tinge oriental

its really a well done map ,
real talent involved here on all aspects (elements) of a game map.

PS. i like the 4 and 5 [reinforcement] regions, but wonder if the 2's should be 3's, if this hasnt been tried yet, there seems to be an advantage for whoever owns the 4 size regions, and gaining & holding two 2 size regions is herder than gaining a 4 size.

Beta Testing Ideas:
this would be another time when a voting app would be nice, if all beta testers got a note in PM that said for us to play version 1 during a span of some weeks, then version 2 during the next weeks,, then come back and vote,, hey, even better, what if we all got both versions in our map creation? have every beta game creation send an invite to all the beta testers? ..or better yet, make tourneys [or similar] with beta testers .. testing each version of the maps that have major gameplay question? requiring comment input , assessment , *or voting app if there were one)
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks for your feedback Axobongo.

Honestly I think "are connected" is a more correct expression than "can attack each other" but in the other maps we are used to see the latter, that's why maybe you didn't notice it immediately.

Axobongo
gaining & holding two 2 size regions is herder than gaining a 4 size
I think it's fair, bonuses are okay for me.

emjaydee wrote:
I find it hard to distinguish two of the caps. I'm currently in a 7p game and the cap circles on Whaletail Islands and Lotus Cave are not clear at all.
The cap on Whaletail is the black player and if it wasn't for the high troop numbers I'd probably not have been able to spot it. Lotus cave is clearer, but not by much.

This game:

http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=468830