PsymonStark - Mar 19, 10:48 AM
Ok, proofreading here (using this as source):

Firebending Master's Lair -> Firebending Masters' Lair
Whaletail Islands -> Whale Tail Islands
Abbey -> The Abbey
Lougai Riverland -> Laogai Riverland

Scorched Forest -> Hei Bei's Forest (?)
Memorial Island -> Mt. Makapu (?)

I think Earth Plains was correct? I can't find a reference on Earth Planes.

Made all the changes. Hei Bei's Forest and the Scorched forest are referring to the same forest, but I prefer the recommended name. So I changed it.

Naathim also beat me to the Makapu explanation. It's referring to the village on the mainland next to the volcano, Mt. Makapu.

naathim - Mar 19, 04:13 PM
I just found this and had a nerdgasm!!!!@!!!!!! It's huge!!! And beautiful!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mudron/8306408148/sizes/o/

LOLOLOL just realized it's just an enlarged version of what psymon found :DDD

I think Psymon's correct on all his suggestions except Mt. Makapu. If you look at the huge map I link to, Mt. makapu is a volcano on the mainland adjacent to the island. I think Memorial Island is good enough.

There's an editable photoshop version on reddit. Check it out. The travel lines, location names, the borders, team Avatar are all on separate layers that can be hidden.

v13 elements (click to show)

The definition of "plains" (click to show)
Proud creator of the map Battle of the Elements
aaronfever wrote:
naathim - Mar 19, 04:13 PM
I just found this and had a nerdgasm!!!!@!!!!!! It's huge!!! And beautiful!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mudron/8306408148/sizes/o/

LOLOLOL just realized it's just an enlarged version of what psymon found :DDD

I think Psymon's correct on all his suggestions except Mt. Makapu. If you look at the huge map I link to, Mt. makapu is a volcano on the mainland adjacent to the island. I think Memorial Island is good enough.

I was trying to share it through my dropbox, but at 1.3GB it's HUGE and difficult to share. Here's the link for the PSD version of the map. Editable goodness!

http://www.reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/1rbw7q/huge_map_of_avatar_world_with_tla_episode_tags/

There's even a photo of the map on Bryan Konietzko's wall! (He is one of the show's two co-creators). Maybe one day my risk board can be on his wall. A guy can dream...

Bryan's wall (click to show)
PsymonStark wrote:
Nice. Please center the label text below the air bisons. Also, some labels could be moved to different places to better fit in the territories.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aaronfever wrote:
PsymonStark - Mar 19, 08:08 PM
Nice. Please center the label text below the air bisons. Also, some labels could be moved to different places to better fit in the territories.

Probably. Any recommendations?

v13 elements map (click to show)

New title. Based on the painterly style of the title card.
PsymonStark wrote:
Quite a lot of them, too many for writing what to do with them one by one. Some that I think can be improved are Lightning Peak, Yangchen Mountains, Mountain Pass, Laogai Riverland (swap), Serpent's Pass (swap), North Forest, Wulong Forest, The Abbey, Omashu (circle), Tuzin (circle), White Lotus, Fiery Volcano, Ember Island (swap), Firebending Masters' Lair, Ice Peaks.

Swap means swap circle and label positions, circle means circle position without moving the label.
aeronautic wrote:
Excellent work on the title & signatures.

You can either reposition the labels that Psymon has suggested, or allow us to do that when we get the source file.

Barring the final tweaks, I think we are ready to suggest Capital positions?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Star0Dweller wrote:
My experience playing capital games is pretty limited. How many capital positions are needed, and what are the main requirements?

I'm also curious about beta testing. Who tests the map, and how extensively? I assume you are mainly looking for potential imbalances in gameplay at that point.
PsymonStark wrote:
There is a list of requirements in the guide. I always try to do a capitals set in any case.

Beta testing is also needed for checking that everything has been correctly input. Usually the beta phase lasts about a month.

Only Premium users and beta testers can create a beta game, but anyone can join.
aaronfever wrote:
PsymonStark - Mar 20, 03:24 PM
Only Premium users and beta testers can create a beta game, but anyone can join.

What are the chances of being invited to the first test?

aeronautic - Mar 20, 12:18 PM
I think we are ready to suggest Capital positions?

I'm not very experienced with Capital games either. I prefer to play Death-match games. However, I have an idea of what I think would make decent capitals.

Based on connectivity I think:
  • Republic City (3 connections)
  • Laughima's Peak (4 connections)
  • Ba Sing Se (4 connections)
  • Omashu (3 connections)
  • Fire Capital City (4 connections)
  • Patola Range (2 direct connections, +3 connections through port)
  • Frozen End (3 connections)
All of these capitals are 3-4 spaces apart from 2 other capitals. They all have 3-4 connecting territories, except Patola Range which has 5, but also benefits from being situated right beside a port.
PsymonStark wrote:
Quite a lot if you tell aero. He can create the first game because he activates maps.
Madagascarter wrote:
How can "north pole" connect to "south pole"? They are opposite sides of this world
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
aaronfever wrote:
Madagascarter - Mar 20, 04:36 PM
How can "north pole" connect to "south pole"? They are opposite sides of this world
In the show that this map is based on the two are connected by a spirit portal. It's important on the show.

The connection is included on the map because it keeps the North and South Poles from being too easy to hole up in and easily-accumulate troops.
aeronautic wrote:
Psymon usually comes up with some excellent Capital positions, also The_Bishop, but he is not involved in this map.
Leave the Cap's to Psymon, please send the source file to the email address that was supplied or if Psymon gave you one send it to him and he can take care of the tweaks. Either way, they all eventually come to me and then the D12 server for safe keeping.

Please confirm that you have read the whole of Post #1 of the DXII Guide to map Making

aaronfever & Star0Dweller will be the first two to play the map I promise.

You can either play it with me and others as a multi player game or I can invite one, let him join and invite the other and I leave before he joins, making it just you two. But I don't think 2 player would be as enjoyable for you as playing with the top players in a multi player game?
The games I create to test maps extensively to speed up the Beta tests are Point-Less games, which get cancelled before the final kill so that nobody loses any points. If the game does end before cancelling, points & stats get reimbursed.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Star0Dweller wrote:
Confirmed. We would be glad to be part of the first beta test, and playing with a group shouldn't be a problem.