Map of the World - 26 territories
  • 261 posts
  • Page 14 of 18
BETA wrote:
gg TB!

Australia does seem to have an advantage, though specific drops can change it of course.
When I get an SA drop, one strategy is usually to remove threats to my cap from NA, not necessarily to take NA. And then expand more one directionally.
So, I am not sure for myself just how big the advantage is.

With North Africa, I didn't notice a game play problem, but that can just be me. However, it feels a little like an illusion. When I glance at the map during a game, North Africa appears closer to Kazakhstan and Middle East, when its really an additional territory away. I kind of got used to it and like it as a buffer for when I have the SA cap.

Asia is easier to hold than I expected.

(I am saying in different words a lot of the same that you said!)

With any small map, dice become enlarged.
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks for your feedback Beta.

Trying out more games where I almost always got the SA Cap. I can say that maybe it only needs to be played properly and it works. But still it seems to me that Aussy Cap can use a more traditional aggressive strategy; instead SA Cap is forced to use a non-conventional caution strategy... It's like to say, if properly played the game is equal, but for SA Cap it's harder to understand how to play properly.

Since I am asking: do you want to try Canada and India. Maybe it works better, but surely they aren't equal capitals. Honestly I would like to maintain Peru and Papua being such equal regions but I think we should make the amendment that I suggested above.

Substancially to modify the border of North Africa to include all Egypt, so making it connected to Middle East. It seems to me an improvement not only for 2 caps but for every kind of settings on this map.

Since I am asking to Fendi: can we load a modified version of the map (even provisional) and beta test both versions? Just to make a comparison. Just call it "W.Reduced-2" or "modified".

Also seems like Virtuosity finally agreed to my proposal to slow Asia down to +5 recognizing it as an improvement. Since I hope he will agree also to do this minor change, or at least test it.

Notice. It doesn't compromise the defensibility of any Regions, nor the Paths scheme for any number of caps.

Notice_2. I am doing all this not because I want to be annoying but just because I like this map so much and I want it to be finalized at the best. Also, I think this is the reason why we beta-test maps!

----

For more feedback. I also tested 3 caps and seems to be pretty cool to me, but I won it quickly really.

And also played 4 caps, basically the same good scheme that is in W.Classic. We went in a balanced ending (call it stalemate if you want) and tried to set myself for a win on the long run, but unfortunately an unranked player called "coconut" decided to surrender (just when the game was getting interesting for me) so causing an easy win to Stratosphere, which honestly asked the admin's intervention to cancel the game.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Thanks The_Bishop!

I can tell that your feedback is well researched - you have played many games on W. Reduced 2 player capitals now. I agree that Papua New Guinea is a much better capital than Peru, because it can expand into China and take Asia easily. Peru cannot expand in one direction, because he leaves himself open to attack from the other direction. Therefore, I don't see how editing N. Africa's borders will change this. On the other hand, The_Bishop has obviously figured it out in his head, so I would be perfectly happy to trial his suggestion:

The_Bishop said:
Substancially to modify the border of North Africa to include all Egypt, so making it connected to Middle East. It seems to me an improvement not only for 2 caps but for every kind of settings on this map.

Since I am asking to Fendi: can we load a modified version of the map (even provisional) and beta test both versions? Just to make a comparison. Just call it "W.Reduced-2" or "modified"..

Personnaly my head cannot work out how it would improve things, but Bishop seems pretty decided, and I trust in his superior wisdom! :)
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Fendi wrote:
If a modified map will be created then I don't see a problem with it. But it might cause some confusion.
The_Bishop wrote:
This image clarify most of things said (click to show)
If Virtuosity care about making the graphic changes (African dividers and title), then I will care about re-inputting the data in the system.

Note: All the territories of the map are made respecting the territories of World Classic, just merging several of them. Egypt is the odd-ball that has been cut in 2 parts: one to N.Africa, the other one to E.Africa. Since I suggest to just respect the borders of World Classic merging Egypt to N.Africa. And then change the title to "World Reduced 2.0". Finally we will decide what of them to keep.

@Fendi - A bit confusing, I agree. But the map is still beta, since only premiums and beta-testers can play it now. And not so many games have been played yet.
Also, it is not my fault, I suggested the change Before the beta-test started but I had been ignored.
So if there is an agreement on my idea, what about to just run a new beta test of the second release of the map, deactivating the first one for a bit, until taking a decision?

@Virtuosity (click to show)
If you want we can simply change the caps and stop, but it was so cool to have SA vs Aussy as it was in Virtusity's first design. Also this suggestion this is not only about 2_Caps, even if I suppose it would be the most played setting for this map, but it is for a general improvement.

TIP: (click to show)
Apart from this little detail, very nice job! Super cool idea from Virtuosity to make a small World map providing a funny game play and nice looking for it. And also excellent and amazing artistic finalization from Fendi!

Just... make that change please :)
Fendi wrote:
I think we can come up with a solution that is a bit discreet. If people don't have anything against this change then Virtuosity98 will have to create the new map...or I can, but it will either take 2 days or 2 weeks depending on my schedule.
PsymonStark wrote:
Can this be solved with an extra connection line, from Libya to West Turkey, without any further modification?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Okay, thanks Fendi :)

Yes Psymon, that's an option.
Just not sure that it looks nicer.
PsymonStark wrote:
It probably won't, but as a test will work I guess...
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
Have ignored this discussion so far, but I think his eminence has a point. We should just try an extra connection line, and if it turns out to be better (I think it will) than Fendi and Vir should change the map a bit I think.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Virtuosity98 wrote:
OK, so I think it would be best to implement Psymon's connection for the moment to test this gameplay change, then if it's good we can change the actual borders. Adding the connection is a 5min job, so I recommend it as the first choice for the moment. Unfortunately, I have no access to the map file atm (the one in this firum is blocked by my internet settings. Someone could add the connection for me, or else email me the file so I can edit it. PM me for my email if necessary.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

The_Bishop wrote:
Capitals have been moved to Canada and India for test.

Feedback is welcome ;) Thanks
Fendi wrote:
Sorry it took so long. Here's the version with the extra connection line.

[image]
The_Bishop wrote:
Oh well, thanks Fendi!

So, how to test it now? I mean we will load it as a new map? And we'll inactivate the old one or not?