Map of the World - 26 territories
  • 261 posts
  • Page 9 of 18
aeronautic wrote:
post #110, any response at all?
Anyway, good luck with this map, I really hope it becomes a D12 map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
@aeronautic: I didn't do the screen overlay as you suggested but later when final touches are being done I'm sure I will add them separately for each continent. At the moment I'm still finishing on textures rather than colours.

@cbt711: I'll edit the contrast with the textures and hopefully all of the continents will end up like purple region (in my opinion the best one).
I noticed the white pixels also. They came when I sharpened the texture... I will try and get rid of them. They are also at the north-west of Middle East and Kazakhstan.
I did motion blur the clouds - I think blurring the cloth texture will make it unnoticeable. Maybe I'll un-sharpen it and see if that helps.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Virtuosity98 wrote:
OK, I think the textures of the separate continents have been improved (to be more like Asia), and the rogue white pixels have been eradicated. I also lowered the opacity of the cloth texture yet further to make it less noticeable. Finally, a most irritating smear projecting in a North-West direction from North Africa had been removed.

Previous textures (for reference) (click to show)

Textures modified slightly (click to show)

Experiments with Ocean appearances (click to show)

Is the new ocean texture good? I think the texture looks kind-of like waves. It may need some saturation taken out.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:

Votazap wrote:
Just a couple quick notes, more later.

The ocean on the last picture you posted looks very nice, I love the "brushed" surface. I also like the purple, green, and orange textures but they don't look consistent enough. The orange region's texture looks completely different than the other regions's textures. If you decide to go with the purple regions texture,(and greens) I would intensify the texture and lower the saturation on the light blue region. For the red region I think you need to amp up the texture and increase the saturation because it looks very dark and un-textured as of now. Also, you need to scrap the Australia's yellow color because its very hard on the eyes and appears to be glowing when compared to the rest of the map. All said, I love the concept and think this will turn out to be a great new map.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Thanks, Votazap!

I'm glad you like the sea. :)
I will attempt to address the issues you raised I due course - nothing will be done until at least Saturday as I am away until then as of tomorrow morning (BST).

Nonetheless, other opinions are welcome in the meantime!
Day Actions:

cbt711 wrote:
I'm a fan - might need a little finishing touches depending on what Fendi / Vexer think. It will be a crazy popular map I think given the premise. Gotta make the graphics quality match that premise.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Thanks cbt711! I'm leaving in 15mins so don't expect any updates until Saturday.
Day Actions:

Virtuosity98 wrote:
I've tried to execute Votazap's suggestions here:

Previous (for reference) (click to show)

Australia desaturated slightly (click to show)

Australia + Europe destaurated slightly (click to show)

Australia + Europe destaurated slightly & N. America saturated slightly (click to show)

Here is the link for more easy comparison:
http://www.bluemelon.com/madone/wreducedtextures#page-0/photo-5165638
Day Actions:

Matty wrote:
All improvements I think, but australia looks a bit ugly now on the colour. It's nice that it's not overly bright though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
cbt711 wrote:
Make sure your borders are on their OWN layer, and that layer is on top. You don't want any pixelation / effects to eat the crispness of the borders.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
All borders/outlines were above the colours and textures. I think my colour masks for each continent appeared to be about 1 pixel too small on the borders, and the jagged look was the edge of the colours layers showing through the semi-transparent anti-aliasing on the outlines. I Gaussian blurred the colours layers by 1 pixel, which cleaned up the borders pretty well.

Rough borders (for reference) (click to show)

Cleaned borders (click to show)

A side effect was that the borders became slightly more prominent, but that is not a bad thing.
Day Actions:

Virtuosity98 wrote:
Minimap updated: (click to show)

Is there anything else left to do apart from capital positions?
Day Actions:

PsymonStark wrote:
I don't think that the colour scheme is finished yet. I still think that the map has happier colours on the right, and the "red" doesn't fit very well. I think it's too dark in comparison.

The new ocean is very nice looking, but I don't know what others will think about it. And the sharpness of the title contrasts with the blur of the ocean.

Also, could you please move the minimap numbers of Africa and South America? They seem out of place.

But all that's left is graphical. We can start coming up with capitals I guess.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Madagascarter wrote:
PsymonStark is right about North America being too dark and even South America could be slightly lighter.
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I will try to improve these aspects tomorrow (BST). :)
Day Actions: