Map of the World - 26 territories
  • 261 posts
  • Page 12 of 18
Virtuosity98 wrote:
OK! That's encouraging (but also saddening. I liked it happy :))!
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PsymonStark wrote:
Oh my! On windows it looks too desaturated. I forgot that I was on linux where maps look way more colorful than on windows (my map opinions are based on my windows looks) ... I'm sorry, but I think you desaturated it too much. Find a middle way if you want, or ignore me until Fendi is here! ;)
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Fendi wrote:
I think I finally know what's bothering me, the highlights on the land is giving a glazed like feeling, this can be seen on the orange, purple and green region. I played around with the orange region and came up with this. Fendi's version. I edited the Shadow/highlight, vibrance and Brightness/ Contrast tools.

I think you should try to play more with the land and experiment with different textures because right now it looks a bit boring..
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Thank you very much, but unfortunately I cannot see your version due to a web block... could someone put it in Bluemelon/Dropbox, as I can see images from there. Sorry.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:

Virtuosity98 wrote:
OK, I still haven't seen Fendi's Version (which I'm sure is much better than mine) but I have done this so everyone might as well see it:

Previous (for reference) (click to show)

All Continents Jazzed Up, but I'm Guessing Not to the Exemplary Standard Fendi Wants! xD (click to show)

For easier comparison: http://www.bluemelon.com/madone/wreducedtextures#page-9/photo-5183729

Also I realise that Africa's texture stands out way more than the others at this point.
Day Actions:

Matty wrote:
This one feels more professional, but it also misses a bit of feeling.

So while I know it's actually better, I somehow still prefer the old one.
Maybe something in between is best, dunno, probably Fendi is better at this.

Edit: this post was about the version on the previous page. Tired now, maybe best to ignore me.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Fendi wrote:
So I started playing around with the map a bit and came up with this. I had to skew away from the other World Maps because I didn't want to change the style completely. This was the best I could do (for now) but I still have more work to do on it.

http://s15.postimg.org/w87q0cwej/World_Reduced_fendi.jpg
Vexer wrote:
Love it Fendi.

I hope Virtuosity98 does too cause this is a work of art. You've done enough work that if we go with this version, and he agrees, I think you should get your name on it too.

I never was happy with the font choice though. I don't like how tall and close together the letters are.

On my monitor it is slightly undersaturated but not by much. +4 saturation adjustment layer on Europe, Africa, Australia, Asia and the ocean would do it for me. If thats more saturation than you can stand then please compromise.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yeah, great job Fendi! Congrats!

I agree with everything Vexer says.

Except the font, really I don't dislike it so much. As it is now, in Fendi's version, the text stands out a bit better in my opinion, due to the added textures I suppose. But okay, maybe we can try a different one.

And a small detail... (but really annoying!) the divider line between India and China doesn't seem to reach the sea outline on the Indian Ocean. Do you see what I mean?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Fendi wrote:
@ The_Bishop, I know what you mean, it bugs me too. I have found other places where this problem occurs and plan on fixing it later on (it's not something that is visible)

@ Vexer, I increased the saturation but not sure if it's visible enough.

Here is a version with a different title and font. I personally like this title for the World Reduced because it's simple and fits with the "reduced" theme.

http://s27.postimg.org/fulm8kfvn/World_Reduced1_fendi.jpg
PsymonStark wrote:
Very nice job Fendi.

The only thing I want to say is that I find the new labels are too big. Some territories don't seem to fit them well, but this may be a problem of positioning (Mongolia, Middle East, Greenland...).
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Wow! This version is amazing! How could I not like it? What Fendi has achieved here is 10x better than what I could have achieved in 6 months with constant tuition from the cartographers here. Thanks so much! What she has done definitely merits her signature on the map (I couldn't stop her anyway! ^^). Incredible stuff.

I also like the new title font. :)
Day Actions:

Fendi wrote:
@ PsymonStark, you were right about the font, it looks better with reduced size.

I have fixed a few things that were bugging me (not visible), reduced the size of the font and played around with other things.

http://s7.postimg.org/5nmw0cf6z/World_Reduced2_fendi.jpg

Spoiler (click to show)
Vexer wrote:
All the changes are good. I might be willing to do the mini map for you. Depends on how the layers were done. I think the mini map should be done similar to the World classic where only the land is shrunk down and not the ocean. Send it my way along with the font if it's not a standard font.
Votazap wrote:
Great job fendi, the only thing I recommend is boosting up the saturation a little bit, especially on africa, great job though