What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 7 of 26
PsymonStark wrote:
For reference (click to show)

4 stars look so weird... I would stand with 3 stars for all generals, and put a button to each of them. Also, following the picture yesterday, the stars on the left should be rotated to point left.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
4 stars look weird indeed.
I like the many general ranks. It is hard to get one of them, all of them deserve stars.

I really liked the eagle rotated, but I', not sure I like the tristar rotated though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
PsymonStark wrote:
The fact of the tristar being one px out of the badge is also disturbing :D
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes I know, I can delete the pixel that goes out and it will be probably unnoticeable. Or I can make the stars more close each other, 2 pixels closer (1 is not possible). You can see how it looks in the 4 star formation (previous image). I loved the 4 stars, why you don't like it?

@Matty - Psymon's idea is 2 stars pointing up (to the right) and 1 pointing down (to the left) as it is in that photo. I think I should try it.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
For me, remove the pixel, otherwise they'll be too busy, as the 4-stars.
aeronautic wrote:
I made a demo of a Dominator Rank Tab in the Dominating 12 forum
If I could get the Ranks PSD File I can make some proposals for ranks with a more realistic gold colour to the current one.
Anybody know who has it?

Regardless, I've made the top few ranks as a demo with some proposed new designs and the Black Tab with Gold Outline also proposed.
Player Ranks Demo (click to show)
If there is interest in anything on the demo, let me know and I will adjust, resize, recolour or whatever is required/suggested.

Full Size detail before resizing (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
So His Eminence somewhere asked whether we want icon-y or realistic-y.
I liked a bit where his Eminence went with the more shiny 'gold' (yellow really), although it was a bit at the busy side.

Now Aero takes it a whole step further, for reference: [image]

Now take a look at the colour triangle at the left of the players tab. Now take a look at the troop+ icon, the territory icon and the total troops icon.
And now look at the realistic rank.

I think its very out of place and doesn't fit with the site's design at all.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
aeronautic wrote:
As I stated "If there is interest in anything on the demo, let me know and I will adjust, resize, recolour or whatever is required/suggested."
Well I don't even know now if there is interest, but I have made the ranks 2D with the Dominator the only one that has a fraction of separation of the Star over the Laurel Leaves. I have made everything a bit more Yellow and generally less realistic to hopefully be more fitting with the site.
Dominator Demo 2 (click to show)
(Edit): @Bishop, It is not my intention to step on your toes here, these are proposals that we have discussed and I have a different idea to you in layout and style. It is always better to have options.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
@aeronautic = No, no, don't worry... I was just wondering why Aero does not participate this thread? -- considering his graphic abilities. (Y) I am just watching your images and I am undecided what to say.

What layout is better? What insignias and what style, icony or realistic? Hard to say. And what should be the colour to simulate gold? I also liked my hyper shine style that still was a bit icony, not really realistic but a bit more like a drawing.

Basically I will be happy with everything having a black background!
aeronautic wrote:
It has been stated that Realistic is no good for the site by Matty.
So they are just left there for comparison of the amount of change made to better suit the site.

(Edit): Some info about the new proposals.
There were a number of things that bothered me with the current ranks, especially in the Generals range, the area for stars & pips was not justified, so I made the spacing and sizing of stars suitable to fit 3 stars horizontally (vertically really, but the tabs are always rotated) and I sized and positioned the pips to be central to each additional star. The bar is the same colour as the non-premium (black) rank and because my proposal reduces the need for so many bars, it is positioned twice its width from the right (top really) of the rank tab. To see the alignment uniformity against the current ranks, look at the actual size demo above.
aeronautic wrote:
aeronautic - Nov 23, 02:00 PM
As I stated "If there is interest in anything on the demo, let me know and I will adjust, resize, recolour or whatever is required/suggested."
Well I don't even know now if there is interest, but I have made the ranks 2D with the Dominator the only one that has a fraction of separation of the Star over the Laurel Leaves. I have made everything a bit more Yellow and generally less realistic to hopefully be more fitting with the site.
Dominator Demo 2 (click to show)

Are there any thought on the simplified ranks? Colour? Layout? Suitability?
The_Bishop wrote:
I think the second button should not stay so close to the star/insignia.
slackbatter wrote:
I personally prefer aero's badges, the little stars on Bishop's are a bit too busy for me.
I like the gold color aero used for premium.
And I love the Dominator badge with the laurels.
I agree with Matty that the more realistic stars don't fit the site as well (but they do look cool).
Thanks for all the good work guys (hopefully this gets worked out soon so I can wear that new badge, if it is adopted).
Matty wrote:
I like the laurels at large, but not at small :S
Matty is online.
aeronautic wrote:
I haven't had time to reduce the sizes, but I have made the officer ranks in basic colour form as suggested.
There is a new Dominator badge which is based on a Field Marshall, I thought this badge should stand out a little regardless of site uniformity, because it's the ultimate goal of the site.
I changed the format of Captain & Major to be more like Commonwealth badges, because I think they are more suitable to match with the current D12 series of ranks.
The cloth in the crown of Major & the outline of the bar in the Dominator badge are D12 Red.
Officer Ranks, Large, Upright (click to show)