What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 5 of 26
The_Bishop wrote:
Several Rank Possibilities (click to show)

#8 needs to be adjusted as it has squared shadow and rounded frame.
I think it can be easy fixed but I didn't have any more time right now.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
emjaydee wrote:
Not the red. Please not the red. Anything but the red. Better dead than red.
aeronautic wrote:
Anything that even closely resembles Man Utd colours is taboo for MJ ^^
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
One question... are we looking for one normal/one premium badges or one normal/many premium badges?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
My wish would be: one normal, one premium, one staff. I believe it is not the case to show which staff are premiums and which aren't: the difference is just that someone also like to play (like me), and someone only like to work (like Psymon!).

Otherwise one normal and one premium. I'm not in favour of badge variety.
PsymonStark wrote:
And why that? If I remember well, multiple different premium badges were suggested to use more tokens.
The_Bishop wrote:
I don't know exactly... I believe it doesn't seem a military army, if everybdoy pick a colour it's more like a carnival parade. Unless a special colour designates a special role, then in that case I am favourable.

Reading fast I missed Matty's proposal that was interesting, sorry. I understand: no frame for non premiums, golden frame for premium officers and grey frame for premium sub-officers. But what background black or white? And what insignias, the older non-premium's (as they match the idea of simple icons) or the newer premium's, or my design as in the A list? (I know he liked the A layout, i.e. as it is now, just turned the generals' white dots into golden dots) I can produce an image but need to be sure what the proposal exactly is. Also I don't understand about "the look of the more pale/darker red".
Matty wrote:
For now I would say: try it for black background.
And use the insigina's as in 2 (from this picture).

About the "bright", "pale" thing:
Take a look at the original insignia's as currently used on the site. Focus on the red stripes that are at the right side of some of the insignia's.

Now the red stripes on the black badges have a different colour than the red stripes on the white badges. The ones on dark badges are "brighter" than the ones on the white badges, who are "darker" or "paler".

You used the "paler" colour on the white badges on the dark badges too, even though there the "brighter" versions look better IMO.

Edit: I think my ideas are clearer when I make my own picture, so that's what I'm going to do now. It will be sketchy and ugly, just to show what I mean...
So wait a bit and I'm going to make my "ideal" ranks :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
This site is not a military army, it's many fighting. Not every army has the same badges, and even inside the same army, there are different badges for navy, air forces, etc.

But if we're settling with two badges, black background seems the way to go.
Matty wrote:
Ok, so this is basically my idea. The example image is ugly, but the idea should be there.
[image]

Note that premium users can choose between all three badges (I'd say default the second), non premium users get the first one.
Also note that the right icons have not been updated, but they should use the same stars and eagles, but I haven't made them pretty.

Finally, silver borders (and icons) probably looks better than white, but bear with me.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
Finally, silver borders (and icons) probably looks better than white, but bear with me.
[image]

I would not change the style halfway through the ranks. The silver borders are also hardly visible in most contexts they will be used at. But yes, the top few ranks are exactly what I would choose as default premium ranks :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
PsymonStark wrote:
Only thing, ranks 4, 5, 6 should have their tristars one px higher :D

Sorry I can't avoid these things :P I believe that black with frame would lead to less premium-attacks by newbies.
Matty wrote:
@Psymon:
I disagree. The tri-stars should either be a pixel larger or smaller, as putting them 1 px higher makes them still centered incorrectly.

@Cireon:
Hmmm, yeah we should try that one as well.

@Myself:
The dominator star should probably be poriented the other way now, as it is like that for the tristars.
PsymonStark wrote:
Yup, that will be right. But right now, general premium tristar looks ok...