What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 6 of 26
Cireon wrote:
Note that the warrant officer star also is rotated in the same way as the dominator star.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
I think you should rotate 180 degrees general stars and colonel eagle.
The white frame is invisible, it only reduce the size of the badges.
Psymon actually is an eagle for seeing the details, he is right, the 3rd rank has the stars correctly centered the others don't.

The idea it's nice for me. I don't know what is better though. Icons that look like icons or icons that look like drawings. Never liked the 3rd dot inside the circle of majors, why they have 3 dots and colonels only 2?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
I prefer the star pointing left and the tristar as is. It's always bugged me but don't know if it's just a choice or has a motivation.

Unsure about eagles though.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
I think actually these badges are supposed to be on the shoulder, so the way Matty drew them the eagles are upside-down.

example picture (click to show)
edit: note this guy seems to have two stars pointing up and one pointing down
Matty wrote:
I could make another version and rotate stuff, but can't you do it instead? You're a lot better with graphics...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes I can, I've just stolen the eagle from your image and rotating adjusting it.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes I know, Psymon referred to it, in some previous post.
Personally I'm not a fan of having many type of ranks.
But it might be only me...
PsymonStark wrote:
Well, suitable colours would be black, white, golden, silver, navy blue, army green, or red. But we better nail the symbols before we decide to take the next step.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
The_Bishop - Nov 20, 11:57 PM
Yes I can, I've just stolen the eagle from your image and rotating adjusting it.
For better quality: I took this picture, then made it all gray (change contrast) then coloured it yellow and resized it (and cropped of the arrow at it's feet).
Possibly using the original one with more sophisticated photoshopping will look better. FYI.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I do really like the new insignias Matty proposed for colonels and generals, they really look military, especially the eagle is a great improvement from current, and also the triple star is not bad at all.

Image (click to show)
The only problem I have is that there is a big pixel size issue -- pun intended ;D -- Matty, the vectors you created have an uneven number of pixels in height, I can't center them since all the rest is made in even size. That's why I said I'm rotating and adjusting the eagle.

So for the eagle I propose this change:
[image] rotated [image] enlarged [image] I gave it a bigger head.

And for the triple stars it seems a bit harder...
Matty wrote:
Yes, you are right, I made these things just for the idea, see also my previous post.
Note that in 'my icons' the colour of the eagle and stars don't match the other colours either, looks like you didn't fix it, but not sure (probably too early to say whether or not that's needed).

I think your's with the head is better, also rotation is better this way.

In comparison with the other badges, maybe making them 1px smaller is better here rather than 1px larger.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes it is not the same yellow, true.
But I would say it's a better yellow, the current seems a bit greenish when compared to yours.

So let me try to equalize the colours, resize the eagles and center the triple stars. I'm going to post it when done.
aeronautic wrote:
On General Ranks, they are commonly known as a 1 star General, 2 star General etc, why not make them that way, no bands needed?
* |** |*** |**** |***** |
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
This one?? (click to show)

I have redone the stars with even pixels and adjusted the colour of the eagles, trying to give the same gradient as the other insignias.

I thought General and Lieut. General could also have a 4th star, it is consistent to change insignia every 2 ranks, casually it also match with what Aero said.

@aeronautic -- Actually in my country we have generals with 1, 2 and 3 stars (lower to higher), they all are big stars and they occupy all the length of the badge; similarly to my previous proposals B and D. But I know in other country armies the insignia are always on the bottom part of the badge, as we have here (left side for us). The result in that case is that the more stars a general has the more little they are, so the lowest general gets one big star and the highest 5 small. I really don't like that and I prefer the big star to be something special for Dominator only. 1 or 2 small stars was too poor, so I only considered 3 and 4. I don't know if exist some country army doing this way (starting from 3 stars) but I think it is the better look for the use we do here.