What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 10 of 26
aeronautic wrote:
Vexer
I'm all for getting rid of the basic rank. I always hated it.
Do you mean get rid of the rank completely, just change the Dot or rename it?

We could use the Wehrmacht style Private I suggested on one of my earlier demo's. It's half of the chevron doubled, which makes sense really.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Getting rid of the 'basic' name is fine for me. Unless you want to rename it to trainee :P (but that will start another discussion).

Not 100% sure on five different corporals, but the ranks are an improvement.

The only thing I'm not sold on right now is the yellow border around the black ranks. They look a bit dull, dark. Not shiney, like they look on the white ranks. Maybe play a bit with them.
I like the slightly darker yellow on the icons (stars, diamonds, etc.) though.

Note that the current premium ranks have more of a transition in the yellow (though I'm not sure if that's better or worse).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
@ Programmers: In the meantime, here are all the ranks as they stand as separate images in transparent png form, all in a 40 X 20 pixel image size. It's worth placing them on a site background colour and seeing how they look before changing the Premium Ranks border, I tried the same colour as the gold ranks and it glares too much. I will of course change the colour should it appear unfitting.
I have also added the original "Banned" image again in a 40 X 20 transparent place holder to keep all images the same size and so not needing any alignment or resizing.
I assume you wanted them with transparent backgrounds so as to be placed anywhere on any background colour.

Let me know if you want to change the Dot to a different image (easily done)?
The renaming as previously suggested is purely your choice and up to you to change that.
aeronautic
I have a suggestion about re-labelling some of the lower ranks, because 1 stripe is mostly a Lance Corporal and 2 stripes are mostly a Corporal.

2 Stripes + 2 Bars = Master Corporal
2 Stripes + 1 Bar = Command Corporal
2 Stripes = Corporal
1 Stripe + 1 Bar = Command Lance Corporal
1 Stripe = Lance Corporal
Dot = Private

This will also be more in keeping with the current advancement structure.

Premium Ranks Complete (click to show)
Regular Ranks Complete (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Note that this is our current rank-sprite. If I'm correct they are transparant and placed in this specific pixel perfect order.
Can you place them like that? Additional rows to the right is fine.

If I have that I will upload them to my local version, I don't have access to Cireon's personal server, so it depends on whether or not he is around (he's going on vacation somewhere around this time) to see if we can show it on the beta site.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I can easily put them all together in a grid-set order, in fact that would have saved me 3 hours work separating them into individual png's.
Not knowing anything about programming, I don't understand how you can use them when they are like this. Will you be grid referencing them or something, or perhaps cropping them out and saving them as individual ranks (LOL doubtful)?
I thought each had to be an individual image?
No matter, I will set them spaced exactly within the full size image you linked.
Vexer wrote:
An image sprite is a collection of images put into a single image.

A web page with many images can take a long time to load and generates multiple server requests.

Using image sprites reduces the number of server requests and saves bandwidth.

You can then use CSS and x y coordinates to define where the ranks are in the image.
Matty wrote:
Yeah indeed, having them all together saves loading time, and we can just give the x,y-coordinates and the width+height, and then the browser will render the correct part.

It would actually be better if the (non animated) smileys worked the same way, but currently they don't (it's a lot harder to do because they do not all have the same width (they should have the same height).
The_Bishop wrote:
Sorry, I'm a bit late, bcoz I have been busy in the last days.

The new eagle by Aero is excellent! Mine seemed a bit like bats.
The new yellow gold is much better compared to current regulars.

The new titles proposed are good for me, maybe "Sergeant Major" should be changed to "Master Sergeant" to keep the same progression as it is for the corporal ranks. Just suggestion.

Aero, don't you like my idea of Generals having 2 stars? Just question.
My idea was to have more gold for the higher ranks and less gold for the lowers. This also means not to enlarge the lieutenants' diamonds, but I have to admit they look not bad a bit enlarged.

What is not convincing for me is the difference between regulars and premiums, the latter should stand out more to make them to look more "important". You should try to put premiums and regulars in the same page, the frame makes the premium ranks to look smaller. I think of adding a tiny black outline around premium frames or keep regulars a bit smaller as they are in the current version.

I'm referring to this image or also the last two above.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
@ Vexer & Matty, thanks for the info', it's really good to know some cross site info on image handling!

@Bishop You'll see the ranks next to each other when I make the sprite.
The Regular Ranks are actually smaller than the Premium Ranks by 1 pixel all around so 38 X 18 as opposed to 40 X 20, although they look bigger. This is because the gold overlaps the black tab so as to show more gold and to try to reduce the appearance of a larger image.
The images I used were your latest proposal, but I thought the two stars on the General Rank looked a bit wrong compared to the progression of all the other ranks.

If others think they would be better though, then I'll add them?
Matty wrote:
I have never liked the 3 red bars on the best general, so trying two 1-star generals and two 2-star generals would be nice.
I want to see them first, but the idea is a good one IMO.
aeronautic wrote:
I tried an outline on the Premium Ranks, but due to such small graphics (some parts are not even 1 solid pixel) it creates a smudged effect. It also disappears completely on a Dark background. Here's an example of the smudged appearance:
[image]

On the General Ranks, I have used Matty's recent suggestion of 2 single star ranks and 2 double star ranks. The silver pips made the lower ranked Generals look more important (senior), so they had to be removed. If you want the pips back then this idea won't work. Personally I think the removal of these on the very high ranks makes them look more important and distinguished, kind of the next step up, all working towards the triple star rank of the Dominator.

I have tried brighter & darker gold on the outline of the Premium Ranks and the bright ones are too glary and hard to see & the darker ones are too dull and too far from the gold of the ranks. If you want a more vivid appearance I would suggest a different colour to Gold.

New Sprite is 87 X 526px, the current one is 92 X 526px, I moved the two columns a little closer, but with spare space around each rank. The biggest dimensions are the Premium Ranks at 40 X 20px and the Regular Ranks are 38 X 18px (1 pixel less all around).
The current ranks are 39 X 20px, but the extra pixel on the new outlined Premium Ranks was required for symmetry.

The Sprite file size is now a tiny 8.36Kb
New Test Rank Sprite (click to show)
Matty wrote:
Hmmm. I originally thought of no bar and one bar, not one bar and two bars, but this is actually better I think. Especially now without the white dots.

I would like to see a bit more a yellow border rather than gold I think. Otherwise they are perfect.

Hehehe, and then get the white version.
aeronautic wrote:
Have you tested the ones above with site colours yet?

I can brighten the gold to more yellow soon (please note, as above, brighter or more yellowish colour has been tested by me and it glares) and I'll also make the alternative tab colours, including the current premium ones, if/when everyone is happy with the new rank designations?!
Maybe early in the New Year or sooner if I get a moment.

Merry Christmas everyone at D12.

(Edit):
Matty
It would actually be better if the (non animated) smileys worked the same way, but currently they don't (it's a lot harder to do because they do not all have the same width (they should have the same height).
Can't they be placed in the sprite with spare space to always be able to select the same size image (same as the largest one) using transparency as well?
Matty wrote:
aeronautic - Dec 24, 09:22 PM
(Edit):Can't they be placed in the sprite with spare space to always be able to select the same size image (same as the largest one) using transparency as well?
The problem is then that the image will take the whole width, and when you   :D   have a :) smiley inside :P     your text, then there :pirate:     will be a lot of space between them.
PsymonStark wrote:
Well I don't really know how they work, but if they were aligned left and given the width parameter depending of the icon, it would work, wouldn't it?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.