What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 12 of 26
Matty wrote:
Small remarks:
I like the new general ranks. And I didn't really like the 2bars/1bar on the generals, I prefer this. Yes, looks a bit like the old dominator, but it's fine IMO. We've been changing a lot of things anyways.
The white borders look a bit weird, but that's probably just because they have no background here.

I like the idea of an olive and navy coloured rank, but the current olive just looks like as if I'm watching to the ranks through mist. If you get what I mean. To me they seem to be a paler version of the normal one :S
I do like the grey bar on them instead of red.

Having said that, overall they look really good, thanks!

Edit: Aero's latest suggestion.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I wanted to say that olive ranks normally use golden or black stripes for lower ranks.

I would also add a garnet/silver or garnet/gold rank version, similar to the one proposed by Bishop. Some armies use that scheme for some of their uniforms.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well okay, so we go with no-bar/1bar generals, probably it is better.
I understand what Matty says about olive ranks, it's true they look almost like they are covered by a tiny voile. If I can suggest I believe on the olive tabs should be applied the brighter version of golden ensignias (same as black), currently they seem to have the darker version (as it is for the white).

Garnet and also Navy Blue are very welcome colours for me too. Let's fall my idea of light blue, it was not good.
Anyway both White and Black ranks are perfect as they are in my opinion, and non-premiums too. Perhaps can we start with them and implement the other possible colours later?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
I sense your need for me to finish these to start the WD map Bishop ;)

I know exactly what you all mean about the Olive tabs, I feel the same way about them, but what I didn't try and The Bishop might have hit the nail on the head, was the same gold images from the black tabs. Also Psymon has a valid point with the stripes colours. I think if I made the Olive a little bit lighter shade, both would sit better, however, the gold outline then becomes a bit glary.
Like with maps, I was so deep in the project and it's hundreds of layers to organise and align, I didn't really have any development time.

So to recap the feedback:
The General rank images are accepted.
The new Premium White & Black are fine.
The new Regular Black with white outline looks a bit weird... pending viewing with the game and other site backgrounds.
The new Premium Olive is not aesthetic and needs some amending.

The white outline on the Regular ranks is a bit of an issue and I may need some suggestion here.
If you see my demo post, it explains what the issues are with the regular ranks and how they look bigger if you increase the inner part by 1 pixel (even though still 1 pixel smaller than the rest all around) or they look smaller if you just remove the border and leave them the same size.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
So we lose time here discussing 1 pixel more or 1 pixel less, when we have an entire map to do!? Unbelivable! :P

Well seriously, Regulars are honestly okay for me. I know they look a bit smaller compared to the others, but I cannot see it as an issue really. Premiums ranks will look like a bit bigger, will seem bigger but really they are the same exact size. Then it's nice: they are premiums, they look "more"!

Light colour objects give the impression to be larger and dark colour to be smaller, but I think there is nothing we can do with that. Making a comparison I can see Olive premiums to seem even a bit larger than Black premiums, and Whites seem larger than every other else. But they are just all the same exact size, optical illusion given by the use of different colours.

Also comparing them all mixed together, Olives don't look so bad. It's quite possible I will chose it instead of black that is too similar to non-premium.
Test (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
The issue for me was when we proposed regulars without frame and they looked the same as black premiums but larger, as it is now i think it's good.
aeronautic wrote:
I took everything discussed into account.

I changed the Regular Rank Tabs from a white outline to a gradient grey which allowed me to make them 1 pixel smaller all around and for me, they now look the same size as the other ranks.

I changed the Olive Ranks to a darker Olive and used the same gold rank images as the Black Ranks, but with a necessary shadow to contrast them more, I also tried every combination of stripes to try to get Psymon's suggestion of Black Stripes to work, I even made stripes with silver and with gold braid, but they always looked too indistinguishable, therefore I went with what looks best, that's the same white stripes and grey bars as before.

I have made a Dark Blue set & a Royal Garnet set using all the same rank images.

I have made these into a Transparent PNG sprite 400 X 570px @ 68Kb
The tabs are still 39 X 20px each, except the Regular Ranks which are 37 X 18px each, but can of course be selected at 39 X 20px.
[image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
First column is for regular members, the others are for premium members only, with free choice of colour: white, black, olive, blue and garnet.
PsymonStark wrote:
Will colours cost tokens or something?

These ranks are not active yet, fergman
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
I don't think they will cost tokens, they will be Premium only.
Hoodlum wrote:
They look great, however, the olive one doesn't look olive to me tho when displayed like this, it looks like a yellow film over the black, looks like a murky version of black, maybe on it's own it doesn't. I think i would probably purchase the blue or maroon coloured one. Probably Maroon
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Beautiful. Going to leave it open for a few days and see what others have to say, but for me they're good.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria