What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 15 of 26
aeronautic wrote:
@Bishop

Here it is incorporating everything discussed and proposed.

Close up in Photoshop, I got to sample Psymon's colours and apply them and I much prefer these, so I made a Darker Olive set to compliment the new colours more.

[image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Cool, thanks man! Can't wait to see them in place really!
I can't decide about colours, they all looks good to me. I think it's mostly a matter of personal taste.
Yes, Psymon's probably look more realistic military colours.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
Similarly, I did another version of the green ones. In general army green tend to be quite pale, so I did another version reflecting this (taken from a real army colour), and added a brown one, inspired from a British insignia ranks image I casually found. Maybe one or both could use black stripes and bars, as they are lighter colours, but can't do that easily with the plain image. Up to you to compare and decide.

[image]
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
The problem I always found with the Olive colour tabs in particular, was that it doesn't sit well with Black Stripes and Gold Officer ranks at the same time... if you darken it for better gold contrast, the black stripes appear too camouflaged and if you lighten it to contrast black stripes better, the gold becomes less contrasted.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Not that gold sits very well on white tabs...
aeronautic wrote:
That's true, but that is out of my control... it was like this before and the whole site is used to them.

There is also no criticism required for existing things so they don't get analysed, just accepted, but new things have to go through a much tougher process.
aeronautic wrote:
I think what would be best is, if we can find some way to progress and implement the new ranks, this may give a little spark to the site. Then I can offer my ranks PSD to all the graphics guys and new colour tabs & ranks can be added / amended later.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes cool @Psymon, they just seem the colours of military clothes. But if I compare them to the other colours in place, they look so grey and unsaturated.
I think Aero's dark olive is better.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
For me it's the first 3 colours (already decided) and the last 3 colours as Premium Choices.
For the new rank arrangements and descriptions, there seems to be all positive feedback from the Cartographers about these so far (apart from Psymon wanting to keep his beloved 2 stripes and 2 bars + Corporal First Class description ;) ) and all we need is for the higher staff; Admins, Programmers & Fendi to decide if they are acceptable.
PsymonStark wrote:
Nothing that doesn't really solve itself by playing a game or two :P
SpamFree wrote:
aeronautic
@Bishop
Here it is incorporating everything discussed and proposed.
Close up in Photoshop, I got to sample Psymon's colours and apply them and I much prefer these, so I made a Darker Olive set to compliment the new colours more.
Spoiler (click to show)

Ok, pretty ranks are settled (but still a Curse:pirate: )

Back to important stuff;)

[image]

PsymonStark wrote:
The people settling this and that are different. We can't do anything to solve bugs, so please be patient!
Matty wrote:
The_Bishop
So, when we will see the New Ranks in place?
Do we already have a descision about what colours of green (for example) we are going to use?

The way I look at this topic is that there still is some descision about the tints of colours (green, but maybe also blue and red) to be used.

For what it's worth: I think I like psymon's blue and aero's red the best (I can't see the difference between the greens so easy). The newest reaction of psymon has an interesting take with the desert coloured rank badge, maybe add it as another colour possibility???
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
About the lighter colours or Khaki colours that Psymon also suggested, I placed a reason why they are difficult colours to work with:
The problem I always found with the Olive colour tabs in particular, was that it doesn't sit well with Black Stripes and Gold Officer ranks at the same time... if you darken it for better gold contrast, the black stripes appear too camouflaged and if you lighten it to contrast black stripes better, the gold becomes less contrasted.

Psymon mentioned that the current Premium (white) ranks also don't contrast very well with the gold ranks and on that I stated something like "that is what was chosen before and I can't do anything about that".
Basically, light colours are very difficult to suit the ranks and 2 wrongs don't make a right, so in my opinion it is better not to have another, difficult to distinguish, rank set.

I prefer Psymon's Blue & Red and my darker Olive (it is slightly darker honest). Then we'll have Regular Black and Premium White, Black, Olive, Blue & Red.
All this really needs is for everyone to sort of agree on which Red & Blue and to leave any other colour suggestions until these are active and I can release the PSD file for others to make new colours.

The other problem is we're also looking at a new order and description of the lower ranks and this really needs someone feedback, "Yes / No" so that I can redo the image layers if it's "No" ?

(Edit): I am most inclined to go with Matty's choice... the more I look at My Red & Psymon's Blue above, the better they seem together.