What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 18 of 26
aeronautic wrote:
It's the effect of the majority colours, you see with so much white around the gold (inside and out) the outline is more pronounced, the dark ranks have dark on the inside making them less pronounced.
If I put the same white inside a black tab, it would be identical.
This will always be the case due to having a white rank.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
But they should look the same, not be the same, I'd say.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
Matty
Having these things open for a few days at least is always a good thing, so don't hurry too much :)

Edit: I find that on the white ranks the gold border is much more visible than on the black ranks. See this screenshot for example.

Change the background to more gray than white and that won't be the case :) But then the site would look pretty dark
aeronautic wrote:
I see what Psymon is saying, but I could never think of a way to make opposite colours look the same (with maps "yes", with ranks "no" ) because of a variety of background colours. I can make them appear the same on a light grey for instance, then when they appear on the dark player profile page, they look completely different again.
What I am aiming for is the best middle-ground.... if we have to have a white rank, then we should work around it, making the other colours the same theme and making all so that they don't overwhelm the eye on various background colours.

Soon, nobody will have to form an opinion on just what they see here, this time I will show you the images separated and on all the different site backgrounds, so that you can all see the effect that surround-colours have on the rank colours.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Before I continue with the ranks, can I please ask that you all take a look at the colour effect demos below?
I can continue with good progress with these requirements already in my mind, but not if the feedback is only about what can be seen in the Forum alone.
In the demos, I kept all the earlier colours that were used & suggested, so that everyone can see them all and why some work and some don't, as well as what the result is from opposite colour tabs with the same outline.

[image]
This demo shows the left column Forum colour ( where the player's rank is displayed )

[image]
This demo shows the Player Profile page colour.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, on the dark background all frames are well visible but white. On the light background all frames are almost invisible but white; black regular and black premium look the same thing.

@Aero, what was wrong with my proposal? (I marked with dots the icons that I modified)

[image][image]                                                [image][image]
On the light background frames are more visible and black premiums look more different from black regulars. On the dark background there are no noticaeble differences from previous (except the white one that is the only I modified inside).
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
Bishop's on white look weird. And white on black too.

Aero's white on black look weird too, but better. The rest are barely distinguishable.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, my white tab really is not accurate bacause I had not the file, just modified the flat image, and also it would look better with the ensignias inside instead of blank tab, but I wanted to compare with Aero last image so I showed it blank.
aeronautic wrote:
I think the programmers have a way to code a shadow on the image, but because it's a plotted rectangle from the sprite, this would not work, but I can make a transparent shadow on the Sprite which would have to be re-plotted.
I'm sure we have room to spare on the Game Page to fit the ranks, if we were to have an outer shadow?

I know this will sort out the ranks on the light grey forum and it would be unnoticeable on the profile page, but not required anyway.

@Bishop an inner shadow on the outline won't work, when a light rank colour is added in the future it will look weird like the white rank and to remove the shadow then would make it look weird.
aeronautic wrote:
I have added a slight shadow behind the rank tabs to enable us to see the definition of the outline (currently unchanged) on all the site background colours where the ranks appear.
There can still be interference from adjacent colours, so place your hand over the other tabs to view a single one. This saves me hours of work, separating and saving them individually for demo purpose.
[image] [image] [image]
aeronautic wrote:
If this turns out to be the way forward, the overall plot size of the rank will be 47 X 28px. Is this still okay for fitting in the game screen?
Cireon wrote:
Regarding shadow. Not along the outline of a transparent image, only squares (or square images) and text.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
I fully expected that to be the case so I made a light shadow behind the tabs to see if this cures the outline distinction problem.
For me it does.
How does it look to you?
Also, is 47 X 28px total size of each tab still okay for the game screen?
The_Bishop wrote:
Aero's with shadow can stay for me (not coded but added directly in the sprite).
If not so then my outlined version (can be cut at 39x20 like current).
Unless Psymon has an alternative suggestion...

As for colours I would say 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the shown list (in addition to black and white).
PsymonStark wrote:
The_Bishop
As for colours I would say 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the shown list (in addition to black and white).
Agree. The current colours are difficult to see, and those are more visible.

Oh, almost forgot. What I meant with adding a shadow to allow light colours (desert/olive) was to add it behind the golden star/bird/circle... not the complete badge.