What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 17 of 26
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, this was discussed some time ago regarding Premium Rank Attacks from resentment or as payback to the site for any small injustice they feel they've been served. When still playing, I purposely chose a Regular Rank tab and it pretty much nipped in the bud the premium attacks. These were more frequent than rank attacks for me.... "If I take out the Officer, we'll all have a better chance", which tend to be more from brand new players.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
I agree with Hood, blue is almost unrecognizable form black, and olive also is very dark. Maroon is the only colour that is well recognizable from black and from the others. I would like to try the first colours proposed. I'm not sure also about the tone of the red bars in the black version.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
supiachao wrote:
Olive look like printer running out of ink sort of colour.
But overall the upgrades are nice, maybe a brighter version of green for the green lovers out there. :D:D

I did ctrl+F5, it is just me or the ranks in the shop are shown without the silver outline? Is that how it is intended to be? As a non-premium I get a silver outline on my rank badge on my profile but on the shop it is just the badge without the silver outline.
https://dominating12.com/shop/ranks
PsymonStark wrote:
I'm sorry but don't really think any colour really fits its purpose right now. I think that blue is too similar to black, red is a bit too purple, and green is also very similar to black, just that sensation of running out of ink that supia mentioned. Maybe a lighter shade of green, khaki, or the first blue that was suggested would work better in a dark background. Red may be more of a personal taste, I don't see that red working anyway, it's not as ceremonial as I would expect from a red badge. Too shadowy and dirty.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
cbt711 wrote:
I would do the lighter versions of green and blue. They won't look light at all on their own.
The khaki as you have been calling it is actually quite awesome, and applicable to military as in any desert uniform ever. I personally think that was a great addition.
slackbatter wrote:
I agree about the blue. I was very excited about Aero's blue when he first proposed it. Too dark now IMO.
aeronautic wrote:
You have to love feedback.
Only when we get the colours out there do we get true feedback.

The earlier proposed colours by me were tested against the sites various colours and found to be the most fitting with tone & contrast within the suggested colours of Blue, Red & Green. We then went through a very long process of picking the proposed colours to pieces and now they will no doubt end up back where they were two weeks ago.

I will swap them back to the earlier proposed colours (and adjust the red to be more fitting) on the same sprite so that Cireon can overwrite it without any further plotting.

We can then look into the possibility of some new colours. Please bear in mind that some colours (light colours) don't work very well with the gold ranks and some won't look good on the site.

@Supia The whole point of the Regular Rank silver outline is: If it was darker to show up on the game screens and here, then the tab would look bigger than the others.
It is the optimum tone to show as a dark glow on light pages (giving the tab the look of the same size as the rest) and shows up as its intended silver on the dark background colour of the player's profile page, which stops it being camouflaged and from requiring a rectifying coded background colour.

@Bishop, the red bars on the black ranks are Exactly the same as the old ranks.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
I'd add a slight black shade to the gold stars on light ranks so they look better. That would allow better distinction in white tabs, and possible addition of lighter colours. I don't agree that things already there can be of a worse quality than new things. I would instead try and make them suit the new standards. In fact could try different things if I get the psd, because actually most ranks irl are either almost black or quite light. And the dark ones are difficult to tell apart.

I realise that actually the navy blue colour wasn't the best option, even if it was more realistic. I don't really know why it was used on the first time if most of the critiques were negative! Oh well!
aeronautic wrote:
The feedback wasn't negative for the Navy Blue, it was positive, but it was shown against the light grey of where this text is and not the (almost white), where the Avatar and Rank are.
I test these background colours as well as the profile page colour, when proposing a colour, which then has to work on them all.

I don't know what you are disagreeing with Psymon, nothing is original it has all been remade and the gold ranks on the white tabs are not only slightly darker, but also have a very slight shadow. There was stipulation to not have realism in the rank icons, I had to be very careful not to overdo the effects.
PsymonStark wrote:
For realism I meant colours, not the decorations. I remember everyone liking more your blue and my red and suddenly the used colours were the opposite.
Cireon wrote:
aeronautic
You have to love feedback.
Only when we get the colours out there do we get true feedback.
Welcome to my world :C Don't worry too much about it, people always find reason to complain ;)

If you decide to change the colours: I had to change the image around slightly, so it would be easier for me if you took that as a basis: https://dominating12.com/assets/img/insignia.png

I would like to comment on the colours myself, but I have my colours red-shifted quite a lot, so for me they look all the same anyway ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Yeah, seeing hem beside the badges instead of next to each other is quite a difference.

I actually do like my white rank though, and I'm curious to see how the khaki colour looks on the site.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
There was originally very little feedback for the colours, but for what there was, we had a general feeling of Psymon's being the most realistic miltary tab colours and aeronautic's being more aesthetic. I take on board what is fed back and try to see it from others perspective, which led me to feel that the realistic tab colours of Red & Blue (Navy) were the best colours.

I will soon make a new colour proposal which will be tested against White, Light Grey & Dark Grey backgrounds. I am out of action for a few days now with friends visiting from England, but will get on to this early next week.

I will crop the Sprite to the same as Cireon's so that they don't need plotting again, just needing overwriting (when finalised).

On the white tabs I will try darkening the rank icon shadows slightly to make them stand out a little more.

Please allow the new colour suggestions time to get some feedback and get refined rather than chosen.
Matty wrote:
Having these things open for a few days at least is always a good thing, so don't hurry too much :)

Edit: I find that on the white ranks the gold border is much more visible than on the black ranks. See this screenshot for example.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria