What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 11 of 26
Matty wrote:
Yeah, we'd need to keep track of the widths (and if we do that, we could just as well keep track of the positions as well) and then we can put them in a single spritesheet.

Not sure if it's worth the trouble though, as that'd require an extra config file possibly.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
It will be a pain adding new smileys then.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
In a little while (like everything else) I can make a whole new set of smileys that are all the same dimensions and then you could have a single sprite sheet for all the static ones, only then needing to have single images for the animated ones if you think this is worth doing?

For the player ranks, I haven't done any more work on them yet, but may get a chance to get back to them this week.
I assume by the lack of feedback that there are no objections to the latest rank image suggestion apart from the mentioned premium gold/yellow.
There has also not been any clarity on the basic rank and whether it was the name or image that should be changed?

I have a suggestion about the rank names here: https://dominating12.com/index.php/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/980/premium-ranks/post/38496#post-38496
I have a better suggestion to the very long previous suggestion of Command Lance Corporal. This could be Bombardier which is the Artillery equivalent of a Corporal and could be used to designate higher than an Infantry Lance Corporal and lower than an Infantry Corporal?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I really like our current smilies (the only thing being the borders being jagged on the live lobby's dark background), so I suggest not making new ones. Also images sprites are not worth it imo.

I like the premium ranks. I think the "command lance corporal" is a very long name, but I think the suggested rank names are better than the ones we currently have.
Same for the new badges. I think the yellow/orange/gold/brown border around it could maybe be a bit lighter, but I have no idea how and you say it looks ugly that way - and since they are much better then what we have now, I'm all for changing our ranks in a few weeks (I'd like to keep the white ranks as possibility (remade of course to have the correct insignia) - possibly even as default for premium members).

Edit: One thing, I'd like to see a version where we have two 1-star generals, two 2-star generals and a 3-star dominator. Possibly the lower not having any decorations and the other having a dot or a red bar.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I would personally prefer black with gold outline as default ranks, because i think the white ranks are generally less liked by members and the gold outline is more subtle.

Changing the rank names should not be too difficult either :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Duly noted.

I will make the General ranks to Matty's new suggestion and see how they feel to everyone.

For now I will assume that when Vexer stated his desire to get rid of the "Basic" rank that he meant the wording (name) and I'll use the new suggested rank names for the lower ranks when referring to the ranks and see how they feel to everyone.

I will only make the other colour tabs when the rank images have been accepted, so as not to cause any rework. This part will be quick anyway.

@Matty, did you see the new "Bombardier" suggestion to replace "Command Lance Corporal"?

I agree with Cireon about having a unified Black type badge as the default, but I am biased. ;)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Whoops, sorry for missing that. Yes, I've seen bombardier, but I think lance corporal is better.

Also, yes, Vexer didn't want to get rid of the insignia with the big dot, but he wanted to get rid of the name "Basic".
aeronautic wrote:
Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting replacing Lance Corporal, but the very long Command Lance Corporal so it would be like this:
2 Stripes + 2 Bars = Master Corporal
2 Stripes + 1 Bar = Command Corporal
2 Stripes = Corporal
1 Stripe + 1 Bar = Bombardier
1 Stripe = Lance Corporal
Dot = Private
Matty wrote:
Yes. but it looks a bit weird.
You have removed the private first class and added another lance corporal (and another corporal that used to be lance), because then suddenly the 1 stripe would mean different things.

This way, the 1 stripe means different things again.
The_Bishop wrote:
1 stripe is Sweeper for me!
It's hard to be so low, it means you really suck at Risk, because you already start much higher than 500 points!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
PsymonStark wrote:
Sheesh don't be so mean, Bishop, that's my standardish rank :D
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
@Matty, in most of the armies of the world (apart from when inverted), one stripe mainly means Lance Corporal. That is why the other ranks around it had to be renamed accordingly.

If we call 1 stripe private "1st class or whatever", then the whole structure of rank images and their names are out of sync.
aeronautic wrote:
We can deal with the names later.

Sorry I haven't been on the site for 2 days, I was too busy making the new rank tabs.

I have gone with Matty's last suggestions, the General Ranks are 2 with bar, 2 without, 1 with bar, 1 without. The gold outline has been made brighter by using the same colour and gradient as the old White Premium Ranks.
All rank sizes have been standardised at 39 X 20px
I have also made the Olive ranks, but have not had enough time to make the Blue ranks. If there are no problems with the ranks, I will do that next before flattening all the individual tabs to make the sprite.
What & Why (click to show)

new ranks demo (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Wow nice, good job!
I'm not a fan of olive but I should see it in the context before judging. Anyway it is a free choice.

Since we are going for colour variety for premiums, should be fine in my opinion to have a couple which are dark and a couple light.
So if light olive doesn't work perhaps a try can be done with light blue. Just an idea.
The_Bishop wrote:
Some more thoughts.
MajorGeneral and Brigadier look a bit too empty and the latter is the same of Dominator as it is now, so potentially can make a bit of confusion.
So I prefer the version with 2bars/1bar proposed before, instead of 1bar/none as in this last one. The graphics I think it's okay as it is.

"fun" = fan* (Edit by aero): I changed it for you.