What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 8 of 26
The_Bishop wrote:
aeronautic - Nov 30, 06:10 PM
I haven't had time to reduce the sizes, but I have made the officer ranks in basic colour form as suggested.
There is a new Dominator badge which is based on a Field Marshall, I thought this badge should stand out a little regardless of site uniformity, because it's the ultimate goal of the site.
I changed the format of Captain & Major to be more like Commonwealth badges, because I think they are more suitable to match with the current D12 series of ranks.
The cloth in the crown of Major & the outline of the bar in the Dominator badge are D12 Red.
Officer Ranks, Large, Upright (click to show)

Well, they're cool! I was thinking perhaps 1st lieut. could have 2 big squares and 1 button but... Nah, it would be too similar to captain. And what about dominator having the crown insteaad of the eagle? Just an idea.

As for the red, I would make all the bars with the D12 red, let's say garnet, bcoz I know someone hates red! I don't like scarlet.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I love these! I prefer the eagle to the crown, so I like the eagle on the Dominator rank.

1 question: Why is the the stripe for the Dominator black? It almost seems like you're trying to hide the stripe! Red or gold would perfect it in my opinion.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
I like them up large, but I think they should be changed a little when making them smaller. The arrow that the eagle holds in it's claws will probably not look good for example (at least, it didn't for my eagle, maybe yours is blessed by Fendi).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
cbt711 wrote:
Why no love for oak leaf?
Major US Army (click to show)

Lt Colonel US Army (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Now it's strange because that star points down...

Have you a larger image please Cbt?? ^^

Edit: I don't like 'the marihuana leaf' and everything referring specifically to the US army, just to stay neutral and world wide open. Conquer Club uses the US ensignias if I am not wrong and they are widely rediculous. It's knife and fork to designate a Major for example.
aeronautic wrote:
Yes I will try them with the "Scarlet" or same red as D12 home page. I didn't do this because the Ranks thread stated something about that Red not working with Black ranks, so it had to be a brighter Red, but no harm in trying it now with the different gold & silver ranks.

The_Bishop
I was thinking perhaps 1st lieut. could have 2 big squares and 1 button but... Nah, it would be too similar to captain.
I thought exactly the same thing and tested it as 2 diamonds, but "it looked too similar to Captain".
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
cbt711 wrote:
There are no ranks with a knife and fork in the US Armed Services Bishop.

Major is Thick stripe, thin stripe, Thick stripe on sleeve and shoulder boards. Gold Oak Leaf on collar / hat

Also those are shoulder boards, so the star isn't pointing "down", it's pointing away from the head so it's up when the person wearing it sees it, in theory the star should always faces the officers.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes you are right Cbt. Actually Major has the oak leaf as you showed in that image. The "knife and fork" I was referring to is probably the symbol of the Infantry brunch - 2 crossing rifles - and they use that to represent some rank.
Anyway I am not a fan of the oak leaf, it doesn't seem a very military insignia, unless you are in the US Army and you are used to it.

As for the direction where the stars point to, I have seen some more pictures and discovered that Navy ranks are the only with the star pointing away from the head.
US_Military_Rank_Abbreviations_Air_Force_Navy_Marines_Army (click to show)
cbt711 wrote:
Well that makes sense because I was in the US Navy for 6 years. Cool Graphic!

And to me the oak leaf is very military because obviously all branches use it that I've ever been exposed to :D
The_Bishop wrote:
Oh well, I didn't know that! Forgive my hilarity on the oak leaf then.

Were you maybe a Major in the US Navy?
cbt711 wrote:
No, I was enlisted. Honestly I never knew the oak leaf was a US military only thing. Learn something new each day.
aeronautic wrote:
I based all the new suggestions on a mix of British & Commonwealth, US & German ranks.
The tier system is the most generic (average) I could find from not only all countries, but across forces within the countries.
I scrapped designing in large format, due to resizing issues with blurring etc, therefore most of it is drawn in miniature apart from those images I had to scale down due to complexity in miniature.
I have kept to simplicity against realism, but have changed the Yellows to slightly more Gold orientated and the Whites to Silver orientated.
The reason for the necessity of the spacing is uniformity, therefore all symbols have to fit where the Pips are situated and no more than 1 Red Bar can be used, nor are they required, so that the ranks could stay closer to actual ranks.
The outer Gold for premium ranks is the best colour I can find that doesn't glare and doesn't take up too much of the blank rank tab space, which would reduce the available space for the rank symbols.
The new Regular & Premium image sizes are the same overall transparent size as the current ones, because there are semi transparent pixels on the current ones, which are virtually invisible to the naked eye.
This demo is a flat version and only if there is interest in these will I upload the transparent PNG's. Of course even if there's interest, there may be slight adjustments required, errors or size mismatch issues.
All Ranks with new suggested titles to suit the tier system (click to show)
(Edit): I intended making my Warrant Officer rank as Sergeant Major (this is the same equivalent in the UK, different titles across forces, in most Army branches it would be Sergeant Major, in others it would be Warrant Officer 2nd or 3rd Class, in the Air Force it would be Flight Sergeant, however, we can't use trade specific ranks.) and making Master Warrant Officer as just Warrant Officer, but I got sidetracked on the final naming stage.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
They're legendary! Dominator, General, and Chief Warrant Officer are so good! :D

Suggestions:
1) Outer glow on Original Premium Test doesn't work at all for me.
2) In the New Premium column, I'm not sure why but the red stripes play with my eyes, I think because they are so close to the golden vertical border. Maybe lowering the brightness of the red would help (more like they are in the Current Premium column).
3) Maybe there should be more difference between premium and standard ranks.

On a side note, maybe the Banned icon could be updated so it's not pixelated (not that I'd like it to seem attractive to get banned, merely I think it would look more professional!).
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aeronautic wrote:
@V98

The "Original Premium Test, was done before the current premium ranks, not by me, it is the original file that I added the new ranks to.

The Red Bars in the New Premium column are exactly the same as the current Regular (Black) Ranks, for the reason that the New Premium Ranks are also the same Black with a gold outline.

The whole point of the new suggestions is that the ranks stay exactly the same, but with something (Gold Outline) that differentiates them.

I haven't touched the banned icon, if these are considered, I will of course make a complete set for every requirement.
Hoodlum wrote:
I know a few people bought the premium account specifically for the white colour itself. I think the white is an attraction that makes others go...? why have they got that.

are you planning on making white ones?
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman