What will they look like?
  • 390 posts
  • Page 3 of 26
Thorpe wrote:
How about just a outline around the black(old ones)?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
I tried to wait and get used to these cream color ranks but really I can't... Black was better!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
urgul wrote:
i dont like the idea of making the non-premium ranks looks worse than they are now.
i dont think its the best idea to make the people who play on this site for free feel 'punished'.
The_Bishop wrote:
Ok, maybe you are right Urgul. Maybe it's too much to turn non-premium ranks grey. The point should be to make the premiums to feel rewarded. It is also a commercial strategy. But how can I feel rewarded when non-premiums have a rank color nicer than mine? And what do you think about those black stripes and dots? They aren't ugly?

But really I think that it was not necessary to have such a strong difference between premium and non-premium ranks, white and black, why? The golden frame was enough for me. Maybe we can also plan to make a red frame for Admins, so they would be more easy to find in the list of players...
lifeinpixels wrote:
Hah, Bishop I love your premium rank prototypes! That's exactly what I've been suggesting since they changed the icons :) The contrast between yellow and black makes the rank symbols pop much more than yellow on white. Thanks for doing that!

I agree though that non-premium ranks probably should stay as they are right now.
urgul wrote:
i think thats a good idea. we shouldn't change the non premium ranks.
also, the staff should get a different color rank. half of the d12 members don't even click on the forums section. i never found the forums for quite a while after i joined d12. after all, the only visible way to pick out staff members is on the forums.

i'll try to work on something ;)
but i dont think it will be ready for a while
Vexer wrote:
I like your idea but perhaps making the non premium ranks grey is too much. With the right gradients you might be able to make the grey look silver so that it doesn't look so blah.

I'm confused though, why are the ranks bigger and blurry?
The_Bishop wrote:
Your eye is sharp Vexer! I doubled the size for my comfort to work on them, but the result is a bit ruined. By the way it was just an example, I can do it better if needed.

Is it available a bigger version? maybe with layers?
Matty wrote:
Im not sure, but if one gets the pdn file (for paint.net), can't you just select the golden border and golden star layer from the premiums, and get the background and dots and stripes from the normal ranks?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
@The_Bishop, there is not a bigger version than the one you have. There's only one version of the ranks.

@Matty I believe he has the photoshop file with the layers separated.
The_Bishop wrote:
Ok, so I can work on this:

non-premium ranks = make them to look silver, without frame
premium ranks = restore the black background, with golden frame

Should the Warrant Officer stars look red or white?
The_Bishop wrote:
Work in progress... Maybe I'm getting something nice.

---

Two linguistic issues are in my mind and I would like to solve theme:

- How do you call in English the higher ranks? Is "officer" right? Or should I say "commissioned officer" or "high officer"? Tell me please. In my country they are simply called "officers": 2nd lieutenant and highers, and "sub-officers" the lowers.

- And how do you call the white "broken stripes" on the military ranks? I'm not sure but I guess in my country they are called Greeks, that means Greek frets, meanders.

Thanks for any helps.