Bug bug bug and whatelse?
  • 260 posts
  • Page 6 of 18
Valhalla wrote:
I don't see this mentioned anywhere but attacking takes so long now. I'm running out of time on turns waiting for the dice to catch up to my clicks. Has this been reported by others?
Cireon wrote:
About the sound alerts: they are treated as a setting now. That means that if you disable them, that preference is stored for all other games as well.

Valhalla: we are working on bugs first, but optimisations are on our list for right after that. Hopefully we can get a bit more out of the server.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
https://dominating12.com/index.php/game/602992#38

16 Jan, 13:52
Clarke: Yellow timed out and was "kicked" for missing too many turns
Clarke: His capital and all other territories turned grey
Clarke: Then over time his capital got smaller as it should
16 Jan, 13:53
Clarke: Then finally, Black killed the property that was the capital
Clarke: And Black was given EVERY GREY TERRITORY ON THE MAP
Clarke: That is a major glitch that needs to be fixed.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
jddamore wrote:
I still have to reset my password everytime I log into site. I've done this 10 times over the last few days, but now I've just resigned from all my games and going to wait until bugs are worked out on new site.
SpamFree wrote:
I regularly experience the disappearing Join button on PC with Firefox 43.0.3 but if I refresh page it reappears, though I don't know for how long.

Edit: Just tested and it disappears again after maybe 10 seconds.

The_Bishop wrote:
Yeah, mine too.
Anyway you can simply click on the "join game" tab label (where you have all the game info and colours to chose): there you can join the game without need of refreshing
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
CheekyTeeky wrote:
Site is terribly slow I play on my phone over the weekend and have missed a lot of turns because game play is terrible. I liked this site better the way it was before. ..
You have a keen military mind Pod...
SpamFree wrote:
@CheekyTeeky, yes the "upgrade" is still not quite ready for prime time but they are working diligently to try to squash the bugs. Have patience ;)

Also, I notice that when a game starts, I see the troop placement but the Players list seems to revert to listing the players that were there when i entered, until i refresh.
The first time it made me wonder if I was actually in the game, as I was not listed yet.

SpamFree wrote:
Not terribly pressing, I suppose, but less convenient. I notice that links in the forums and elsewhere no longer open in new tabs as before. I hope this functionality is eventually restored as well.

Matty wrote:
Personally I'm not a fan of auto opening in new tabs. If you want them to be opened in a new tab, press Ctrl while clicking the link. In all decent browsers that opens in a new tab.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I tend to agree with Spam really. Basically there's no great difference to open a new tab or stay in the same (every browsers have the option) but we all were used to the first.

I also agree with Spam on being patient. Because I see several unmotivated rough complaints here and there. Programmers worked months for the site rewrite, now there is some small bugs that possibly require some days to be fixed, give them the time please.

Just to show you all an idea of the importance of this procedure, in the old site many bugs required years to be fixed. Do you remember the glitches when one ran out of time, or all troops moved when you wanted to move only one, or games starting with wrong number of players, or players skipping turns for no reason...? Everybody was happy though.
Now people are complaining for the chat that goes to the top instead of the bottom, or the attack button that is too far on the right... I mean... They mostly are very small details!

When all the small bugs will be fixed, the site will be potentially much better than before. And the work will be easier for the programmers to renovate it or add new features. It's an important investment for the future. And we already have several new features really. I'm enjoing the "friend/avoid" list for example and the assisted typing (or how you call it) when inviting someone in a game, and well most noticible the ingame troop animation, just so cool.

Really I think we must be thankful with Cireon and Matty for the hard work :hand: <Thanks guys!> and I'm sure you all will be thankful when the renoving work will be finished. But don't stop reporting every kind of bug please: this is helpful.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
I could change it quite easily to open links in new tabs.

However, I don't really like it if websites force me to open things in new tabs (and the only way to open it in the same tab is to right click and then select the 'open in the same tab', which is a lot of work. Subsequently, opening a normal link in a new tab is a click and a Ctrl press, which is no work at all. Seems like modern UX guides also agree with this.

So yeah, something to get used to maybe, but is that so bad?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I just use my mouse wheel when I want to open something in a new window. In most pages I use the canon is opening in the same tab. I don't really see how here it should be anything else.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
SpamFree wrote:
Thanks The_Bishop for your agreement:thumbs:

@Matty, First of all, I, too, would like to thank Cireon and yourself and anyone else who has put so much effort into this monumental migration:D
Generally, I have always heard it said that the reason most sites open things in new tabs is to keep people from leaving the site. This is rather self-serving for many sites where there is no need to stay on the referring site. However, here, where often links are followed and the game or discussion and would be better served by remaining as well, in my mind, it makes more sense to open links in another tab, so as to keep the referring page opened. That being said, I agree with The_Bishop's sentiment in his appraisal above. There are bigger fish to fry.

Gameplay bugs should trump minor aesthetic concerns, as the game is the reason for the site (outstanding community and thoughtful discussions are merely a side-effect, at least initially;) ).

This link issue, is of minor import in the grand picture. I have said all I need to about it and defer to your good judgement:)

Thanks again:thumbs:

Axobongo wrote:
8. ( actually 3.2) As far as the location of the server clock goes,, there really seems to me only one solution, and thats the black bar at the top , somewhere between Logout and Upgrades links.  Sure either above or beside where it says Speed Games and Long Term games is also an option, but that requires scrolling up, and would feel more clogged too.

When we go to the Log in a game, the server clock in the chat box is unseen, requiring that bouncing in tabs,, when we look at players page, there is no clock to see, but times to judge. etc etc. A clock right at the top in the black bar makes sense, as every time related question is answered by a glance. the words ''server clock' could be in a smaller type, if space or look is a concern.

As the 2nd most interesting man in the world, i dont always say the right thing,, but when i do,, its very very right.

PS. i loved that links opened in new tabs , it has been one of the small things i really appreciated about the programming, ,