Bug bug bug and whatelse?
  • 260 posts
  • Page 10 of 18
PsymonStark wrote:
Try time.is and see if your clock is syncronized. It's the same problem some other players have been reporting these days.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
jonasP wrote:
PsymonStark
Try time.is and see if your clock is syncronized. It's the same problem some other players have been reporting these days.

now it's synced. thank you.
Matty wrote:
Ah, it seems your system clock is out of sync - check http://time.is to see exact stats.

We made a quick guide on how to synchronize your computers clock here: systemclock.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
game 606068

povratnik claims he did not resign, claims that his opponent did (doesn't look like he needed to resign). stephensen says he didn't resign.

edit.. disregard..player resigns prematurely in many games.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
PsymonStark wrote:
From chat:

22 Jan, 17:43
JroK: when i turn in a card set all cards are underlined and i dont occupy any of them
TheMachiavelli wrote:
I have a question re the new website, not a bug (not to admins etc: feel free to move this post elsewhere if that works best).

When you attack a territory with lots of troops, the frontend graphics are now cooler than they were before (e.g. dice animations etc). They are also slower. My question is whether it's just the animations that I'm seeing which are slower, while the game itself is fast.

In the game I just finished playing, I was attacking one capital with just under 200 with a stack of just over 200. I was clicking like a madman, but it still seemed to take quite a while (longer than it used to in the old website). However, when I killed the last troop, I received lots of errors (as you get when you're trying to attack something that you can't etc). Even though I stopped attacking as soon as I won (or rather, as soon as the interface told me I'd won), I must have been clicking away for a while AFTER I won, but BEFORE the interface said I'd won.

Checking the log I noticed the whole battle didn't take very long, so from this I guess the log reflects the back end, not the interface, which would make sense. However, it might not have taken very long because the log itself didn't register when the battle started? I'm not sure. As I say, at the time I was clicking like a madman, not checking the log.

Now, this probably doesn't matter very much for consecutive turn games, but it can be important in some sametime games such as capitals games in which you're both trying to kill each other's capital at the same time.

Put another way: is the lag of actions such as attacking different from the lag of actions being displayed by the interface?

I hope some of what I've written makes some sense to someone...
Matty wrote:
@TheMachiavelli: The answer to that is: good question, but I don't know.

Speed optimizations on a webserver are a difficult thing to get right. We profiled the javascript and it's done in a matter of miliseconds, you should be able to get simething like 20 attacks a second easily so to speak.
But you are also coordinating with a server, where is your computer located? Is someone else accessing the same game (which might mean he has a lock on the database and you need to wait before your attack can be processed) and loads more of these questions.

It is quite possible that our server is slower than the old - simply because we do things safer. You can't process two queries at the same time anymore, which solves a lot of glitches, but also means that if two queries are executing at the same time, one of them will have to wait (unless it's a read only query, but let's not get into details in this topic here).

If you want to, I can maybe make a setting to disable the troop animations, than you can try and see if it makes a difference.

But yeah, it's really hard to give a good anser to this question. Saying it's this or it's that is easy. But whether or not it really is the case... who knows?

In this particular case, a lot might be solved by a way to do 20 dice rolls at once. Of course, for that, we need a proper Attack interface... We currently have one that can be expended for these kind of things, but then people want it smaller again because it looks better (to which I agree btw).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
TheMachiavelli wrote:
@Matty: thanks! I'm going to be away for ten days, but when I'm back I'll be interested in running some tests. I'll send you a PM when I'm back

In the meantime, here's a bug:

I tried to report a player for using foul language. But you couldn't select any of the players from the dropdown box (for any of the possible wrongdoings).
Matty wrote:
He's talking about game 606199 in this case (Maaf reported it in the moderator chat) - it works for me, I think in this case refreshing would have solved the issue. That's what I think at least, please confirm if you see this again.
Cireon wrote:
If you want to, I can maybe make a setting to disable the troop animations, than you can try and see if it makes a difference.
There is one, check the game settings. I made the troop animations run asynchronously, but yes, they are relatively slow, especially with lots of attacks in a row. I do have some ideas on how I could make them a bit faster by grouping them a bit more, but that is going to be a difficult tradeoff to make, since it will also make them feel more delayed and out of sync, and that will just make them feel weird, and make the site's response really slow.

The problem is that we cannot run the troop popups in an asynchronous thread or something, because Javascript doesn't do that kind of stuff, so creating the troop popup, positioning it, and making it move - which is quite an expensive thing to do - takes away time from the real update, and without really difficult code, that is difficult to fix.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
PsymonStark wrote:
Game 606271, too long spaceless comments mess with the layout of the site.
Cireon wrote:
PsymonStark
Game 606271, too long spaceless comments mess with the layout of the site.
Which browser please? Works fine for me on all widths.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
PsymonStark wrote:
Firefox 43.0.4 here, but everyone in the game had the same issue. We got Hoodlum to remove that chat line because it was annoying everyone. But you just need to check the spoiler to see something equivalent:
Spoiler (click to show)