just an idea
  • 315 posts
  • Page 18 of 21
PsymonStark wrote:
Didn't I say how I like to improvise English?

I said cluttered, should have said another word probably. Busy maybe is more adequate.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
I agree that the Label font size was generally too big, so I tried reducing the Tahoma size 11 font for the Labels, but it blurred at size 10, so I changed it to Arial size 10 and sharpened it too.
Hopefully it is less noisy / busy / cluttered on the map image.
I darkened the Labels that are mostly over the sea to give the illusion of similar tones to those over the land and added a more opaque outer dark glow to those that cross the sea or lakes to make them more readable.
Demo 1 for reference (click to show)
Demo 2 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Ehm... Sorry Aero. I was busy playing games and organizing tournaments!

I would say, "S Africa" tag and circle should be moved a bit downer.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
I do prefer Demo 1, for better readibility and more beautiful font.
But I'm curious to know what the others think.

Some other placement tunings I would suggest (other then the one I mentioned above):
-- If you agree, Aero, and there are no graphic issues with it, I would like "Japan" and "New Zealand" tags not to cover the shape of their territories, i.e. staying completely on the ocean, like it is for Britain for example (same for Japan 2 and New Zealand 2).
-- And I don't know about Madagascar (and Madagascar 2)... I think I liked as it was in my version, i.e. with the tag in the Northern part of the island, partially covering the dashed line. That give the feeling of the territory more attached to its own region and that gives more the idea of Madagascar being in the middle between E.Africa and S.Africa, even if it is actually closer to the latter. Well... maybe I'm a bit maniac with these things!

Hoodlum wrote:
I agree with bishop about the font in demo 1. The only thing that catches my eye graphically is that the Caspian Sea looks like a small territory, but not a big deal for me.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
@Bishop
I will try all those suggestions.
Here's a dilemma right now, do you think I should first change the font and size back to the way it was or should I make the amendments with the smaller font and change it back later only if others feel that it has made little or no difference to the look & feel of the map?

@Hood
Yes, I struggled with the Blues of Europe and the new (set point) light source that I made for each individual territory, so as to still make the Caspian Sea & Black Sea distinguishable as seas.
In the end, it came down to a compromise on aesthetics only, because I analysed the connections and even if I took the seas away, the connections would all still be the same.
Therefore, there can't be any confusion about the connections even if the differentiation between the sea and land is not high contrasting.
I will however try my best to make it a bit more contrasting.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Ehm... Nice dilemma! Making both it would be a waste of time.
For my taste, we go with the larger font and forget the smaller. Hoodlum also seems to agree with the larger one.
naathim wrote:
I honestly can't tell the difference except I THINK demo 2 looks blurry? But I'm not sure?
PsymonStark wrote:
I think the larger one has too much spacing between letters. If labels could be made thinner in total width we may find a winner.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Okay, that's good constructive feedback guys, I have direction now.
aeronautic wrote:
I have made the changes requested by Bishop.
I kept the original font and size as requested unanimously by all feedback and decreased the width suggested by Psymon. I think this has made a big difference and it also allowed me to better fit the Labels.
I also recoloured some Labels to better suit the map, reducing glare on some and increasing contrast on others.
Demo 1 (click to show)
Demo 2 (click to show)
Demo 3 (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Nice @ Demo 3
It's cool because it looks smaller but actually it is not smaller, just less spaced. Good take from Psymon.
1 and 2 also could be good, but I think 3 is the best.
aeronautic wrote:
I still have to make slight colour adjustment to satisfy Hood's concern about the Caspian & Black Sea.
I'll do that tomorrow, the text took too many hours.