just an idea
  • 315 posts
  • Page 20 of 21
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Axo...

Twin Territories CANNOT Attack Each Other
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
You might notice AXO, that the name of Caribbean Double was re-named to Caribbean Dual. And Hawaii was decided on to be called Hawaii Dual so as to keep the Dual theme for those maps that have twin territory attacks. Those maps have that "twin territories can attack" information.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Axobongo wrote:
ah, i see, tho i would still recommend the small note. it will help teach everyone the meanings of Dual and Double

Also, i must admit i am of the camp that prefers capitals to have a regional border. On one hand a large map gives, in theory, the possibility of collecting many reinforcements, which could mean a large army outside the capital could be built.. but.. if not , one thing you end up doing is hope someone will free you, without wiping out your capital... ( or obviously youre not making a region ownership of the capital region)

So, i think i have come across a map that has both set ups [?],, like maybe 4p and 7p had border capitals, while other -p's didnt.
i really liked that, because one only need to add or remove a player during creation depending on if they are in the mood for a landlocked capitals try or an exit door capitals try.
Axobongo is online.
Axobongo wrote:
,, i just played and wish to mention a detail problem that cost me in making a strategy error.
Its the way Greenland is cut off at the top, it deceived my eye , especially in Greenland2, to misreading the territory border.. it looks like separate territories so i stacked Quebec2 instead of greenland2 ... i know, i am very familiar with the classic map, so i shoulda known better,, sure classic grenland is a little funny looking too, but you read the bridge of islands and remember its all one territory..however, that i shoulda known because of knowing another map doesn't matter concerning this map. ( and that bridge of islands is cut off in this map)

So, i recommend either 1. a yellow bridging between the large Greenland island its islands towards the mainland, ie. either a simple yellow strip along the frame/map border between them, or, a strip slightly curved-on-the-inside ( like a bridge shape in profile view) , to give is a better look than a straight line, or, have 2 small yellow egg shapes connecting them ( cut off at the top) for the island effect.
or
2. simply move the troop number circle into the water between those 2 land masses , it should fit in nice, and being on the water will force people to realize it touches both side of the greenland separation, thus it must be the same place.

Anyways, those ways to fix it came to me, maybe another solution will suit you better, like moving the type 'Greenland' to stradle both sides, with the troop circle moved halfway into the water?)
but really, something should be done, the way the water divides those islands from the big island of greenland causes an eye/brain trick, for one because notice how they arch away from each other towards the map frames edge before they get cut off,, the brain fills in whats cut off with water, not the yellow of greenland.

...... i also take this opportunity to mention Big maps like this deserve more Extra Times ,, at round 13 i had used 1 extra, and was left with 1 only,, which just seems wrong to me, sorry, i am sure.    ( there are other ways, even i can imagine, to protect us from abusers, than making us suffer not enough extra times) ty
Axobongo is online.
aeronautic wrote:
Axo
maybe another solution will suit you better, like moving the type 'Greenland' to stradle both sides, with the troop circle moved halfway into the water?)
Bishop and I discussed this in great depth when trying to find a solution to this World Mercator Projection, which was used by Clarke for the purpose of interlocking 2 World Maps.
It is slightly different for World Classic because it uses a Geographic Projection.
Most of the suggestions you made were already discussed, tested and eliminated, mostly due to aesthetics.
The suggestion quoted above is the based on the solution we settled on (as on the Beta map), where we tried to use the Label to overlap 2 groups of islands and put the Circle on the outer biggest island (Greenland), making what we thought was intuitive.
If it is that difficult for players then I will try moving the circle slightly over the water to tell players that it connects more than just the big island.
(Check it now, I have moved the Circle slightly over the water and more central to the whole Territory).

Here's a really interesting short video on Map Projection & Perception for everyone interested in maps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLoowmbPNQ

Axo
i also take this opportunity to mention Big maps like this deserve more Extra Times ,, at round 13 i had used 1 extra, and was left with 1 only,, which just seems wrong to me, sorry, i am sure.  ( there are other ways, even i can imagine, to protect us from abusers, than making us suffer not enough extra times)
It is the duty of all Game Creators to set the appropriate clock timer suitable to the map size. Always being aware that as troops increase, you'll need more time to think and move. I would personally always set a map of this size to 7 minutes. Or if you fear time wasters abusing the timer, missing every other turn, then set it to 5 minutes with a message that the timer will increase to 7 minutes as the game progresses, then use the Help Button and ask a staff member to change it to 7 minutes for you. If it still gets too difficult to make a quality move, then ask them for 24 hour turns. This doesn't mean you have to make it a Long Term game, you can carry on, but not worry about running out of time. You normally need good trustworthy experienced players to be able to play live with a 24h timer.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
It may not be a bad idea to add the sentence "twin territories cannot attack eachother".
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
PsymonStark wrote:
I don't think it should be needed. I mean, this is because of the confusion of the first week because it's the first double map we have. We don't have notes saying "This map doesn't have ports" or "This map has no special bonus", I don't think it is applicable because after a month everyone will be used to it and will probably add more confusion than it fixes.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
@Axo, you not knowing that Greenland and Ontario have a border, it's a bit surprising for me!
It's true that it was in the lower part and maybe the upside-down rotation also causes a bit of confusion. I think it is more clear now with the circle half on water.

Personally in the lower World I tend to mistake 6 and 9, one for the other ... I don't think there is a solution for that!

I agree with Psymon, I think there is no need for that note.
The_Bishop wrote:
Sorry, I did a mistake on the Cap's. I couldn't find the file where I saved them.

9 Cap's had to be like this:
9 Cap's (click to show)
I hope nobody has anyhting against if I change them.
PsymonStark wrote:
India and China 2? It's symmetrical except for that one... Maybe a mistake or something?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
It is not a mistake. It's to keep almost equal distances from the central cap' in Madagascar,
Axobongo wrote:
it surprised me too,bishop, and it was the lower greenland that got me, so the fact that it threw me off tells me it will throw off others from time to time.  So, i think the circle move is good , but i also have a feeling that moving the 'greenland' label more towards the circle is important. Its a long enough word that it will also touch water on both sides of the smaller island, and still be centrally located. But a little more married to the circle leads the eye in the right way to tell the story.
  It wont be much of a problem being reported thats for sure, as i think it would only effect one in 10 people or so at most,, but its best to be sure. Great job on the shadings , by the way, i noted to Bishop in a game how i liked that effect, but at the risk of over focus on this small thing i'll add making greenland a less-(or non?)-shaded, or tinge lighter yellow would make it an obvious patch , and maybe still esthetically harmonious .   ..?
fear not, i think this was the last i have to say on it.

Axobongo is online.
aeronautic wrote:
Point taken Axo.
If it's not intuitive still, then a territory colour amendment might do the trick.
No map time this weekend though, so I'll look into it on Monday (UK time).
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Okay, I adjusted the colour of Greenland & Nunavut to make them their own colour which differs from adjacent territories, I hope this improves the intuitiveness?
Beta Edit (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
I have made a post about this https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/771/interface-changes/post/42273#post-42273
The image displayed on the above demo's is being reduced by 100px width by the coding, so what you see isn't the full size image and is why the Labels look blurred.