just an idea
  • 315 posts
  • Page 14 of 21
HammerTime wrote:
Looks great Bishop ..I think this is going to be a very popular map.really like maps with lots of choke points...looking forward to playing some Deathmatch on it..
Luck,is the defining factor of a good strategy
The_Bishop wrote:
@Naath, I also think my ocean actually looks good! :P
Being a real satellite image in some points (mostly around Kamchatka) the ocean ridges are very noticeable. I believe if I didn't make it blurred they looked too distracting.
On the rest of the map they are almost invisible, but I think it's how they have to be, just for the purpose of having the ocean textured.

As for the connection links, yes, there are thousands of possible arrangements. I showed some of the proposed versions in this post. Basically I liked the original plan and I cannot understand why we changed it for the spiderweb in the current version. We have also sacrified the good place for a well sized mini-map. Anyway I have nothing to gain from one version or the other. Possibly I would be happy to try both for gameplay evaluation, but I don't know how much time it would require.

@Hammer, your sentence is a bit tricky for interpretation, because if the choke points are many, then they are not choke points anymore, they are linking points! But I think to understand what you mean. Anyway for this map was required to have at least 4 or 5 linking points between the two worlds, for the rest, they mostly are the original connections of World Classic.

While we are waiting for the Master Painter finishing the New Ranks, we are having time to discuss here. Then (possibly) we'll start the job at high speed! :)
Thanks everybody for commenting!
Last for reference (click to show)

[hoodlum] edited to display image properly
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
naathim wrote:
It got changed, if I remember correctly, because people were not happy with the borders on SA. I think I this configuration was chosen to keep the gameplay as close as possible to world classic, which is what people wanted.
HammerTime wrote:
Well I consider any connection between two land masses as a choke point :)..an if u need any help testing the game play,be more then happy to help out.
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes you remember correctly Naathim, the change was to give one border less to SA. It was discussed to have few or nothing to do with the World Classic gameplay though.
So let's make a comprison again, hoping for some wise rethinking:

WD_15 (-Original-) (click to show)
WD_15 (-Modified-) (click to show)
Why I like the original design better:
- intuitive and aesthetic connections;
- no connections removed from World Classic gameplay;
- no connections added in the north (NA and Europe are unchanged);
- amazing shooting points in Brazil free to move to both Worlds;
- fast "equatorial" connection way in the middle of the map;
- quite defensible super regions ( NA+SA and OZ'+OZ" );
- good layout to fit all the elements (title, minimap, credits).

In the modified version all points are lost for giving SA one border less. I honestly cannot see it as an improvement.
Plus, there are no capitals proposed for the modified version, potentially it's one step back in the development, but okay, I can quite do it by myself if required.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I thought we agreed on the current gameplay about 2 months ago...

Current Gameplay (click to show)

https://dominating12.com/forums/3/map-creation/764/world-double/post/37959#post-37959
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

HammerTime wrote:
I like the first IMG... This is a very large map an as sits ,to get from one world to the next one you have to come through the middle ...just a thought here to make the map movement little faster an ability to attack North to South, what about 4 ports in the Kamchatka, s an Alaska, s....hence that old saying....4 corners of the world ..anyway I'm no expert but thought I'd share what I was thinking.
The_Bishop wrote:
@Virtuosity, really some more changes occurred since that version of 2 months ago. Argentina was connected with India.

@Hammer, I would possibly discard the port option, but I feel what you mean. Perhaps something like >this< can work?
HammerTime wrote:
Yes exactly :) I just suggested ports so you don't have long line connections.. Either way same effect. But I think I like yr way better..to get from south Alaska to North Alaska you need to go through North Kamchatka...
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes, well okay just call them Upper and Lower please: it is not correct to say North and South in this case.
The_Bishop wrote:
The problem is that then New Zealand's become very crucial points. So probably in this case it would be better to remove the connection between them: Example
HammerTime wrote:
U know I did think that too..just didn't put it in first post..but I do agree with you. I like the connections in yr last IMG..allows upper an lower   ( :) ) movement but not to quickly by having to pass though NZ
HammerTime wrote:
HammerTime
U know I did think that too..just didn't put it in first post..but I do agree with you. I like the connections in yr last IMG..allows upper an lower   ( :) ) movement but not to quickly by having to pass through NZ
PsymonStark wrote:
Virtuosity98
I thought we agreed on the current gameplay about 2 months ago...

Current Gameplay (click to show)

https://dominating12.com/forums/3/map-creation/764/world-double/post/37959#post-37959
Agree... we seem to be going in circles on this.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.