just an idea
  • 315 posts
  • Page 12 of 21
emjaydee wrote:
The ridges make the ocean look to 'busy'. I think it makes the background too distracting from the actual gameplay area. I also think the dividing line is just a weird addition - I'd take that out as well.
The_Bishop wrote:
WD_11 (click to show)
WD_12 (click to show)

I followed the suggestion of darker blue ocean and it looks good to me. I've still used the satellite image as texture, but greatly subdued, to avoid it being too distracting. Still it's possible to recognize the main ridges and basins though. The cutting line of course has been removed.

Other things: tried a different colour for SA and made the text more readable.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
Looks great now! I like the oceans!

Is there a reason why you don't take the colour scheme from the original colour map? I think that would make the map more recognisable and probably easier to play, since players can recognise the regions better, even when upside down.

I am not a huge fan of the font. It looks a tiny bit choppy to me. I still think trying to stay closer to the original map styles would work better, but maybe that's just me liking the original maps a lot ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
Risk boards in New Zealand don't respect the standard colour scheme, it's a sign of protest for having been excluded from the map for so many years!! ^^ Well in this case we have even assigned them a territory (2 really!) so I think it's the case to let fall the protest... I'm joking: it's just the colour scheme chosen by Hoodlum but I have nothing against the change if required.

Here an example, quickly worked with merged layers:
Colour Test (click to show)

@Cireon, I appreciate your appreciation for the oceans! :) I think you should just explain better what do you mean with "original map styles" because I cannot understand exactly.
Matty wrote:
I liked the yellow colour from old Asia better than the yellow colour from new N America. Still, not having Asia yellow looks good.
I mostly like the way the colours are divided on the bottom one as well. I wonder though what panneds if we make SA yellow and NA red.

We also switched colours in the world reduced map, not even to mention world expanded, so I don't think we nescessarily should have the same colours here. Still, the colours on the classic map are really good.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
naathim wrote:
I feel like you might have gone too far the other way. Not liking the muddled background. With the map and the borders being so sharp and well defined, and then that big blobby blue in the back, it doesn't mesh very well for me.
PsymonStark wrote:
I like these oceans. They look quite good

I would prefer a different colour scheme for the map (same colours, different possitions), but I would say Asia is too big for yellow.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
The_Bishop wrote:
WD_12 (click to show)
The problem with colours is that you begin changing one then you have to change them all to keep the balance. I would be inclined to respect the colour scheme we have in World Classic.

But before changing everything I would like to know if the ocean colour is confirmed. Especially addressed to Aeronautic.

I'm not really working on text and font right now, because I would prefer to first reach a good point on colours and textures and then care all the rest.
Cireon wrote:
I personally really like the ocean now, so if you can make the rest of the map fit around it, it's fine by me.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
aeronautic wrote:
That Oceans and their colour & tone are really good.
WD11, there was far too much detail for a background / secondary graphic, so you took the right direction with it.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
I hope colours and textures are all right now!

WD_13 (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
cool. It's starting to mesh together nicely..even with the other world maps. good work Bishop
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Cireon wrote:
Is it just me or do the new coastlines really choppy?

[image]

I like how it got together though. Both textures and colours look fine to me.
The_Bishop wrote:
I think it's too choppy for sailing today... Unless you love the Risk!!
Spoiler (click to show)
Does choppy mean too big or very bad or I don't know exactly.

I also had seen some pixels, I was trying to fix the issue but then I realized it was only my own impression. No pixels are visible!

EDIT: Oh wait, if I undarstnd it, choppy means pixelated, right?

Thanks Hood. I'm trying my best!
aeronautic wrote:
It's the land Outer Shadow causing us to see what we couldn't before.
The land has no anti-alias... zoom in to the source file and you will see.
This is a problem when you cut something out or fill it with colour, it does it to the pixel, cutting them off square.

There are a number of ways to rectify it, but are mostly time consuming.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.