just an idea
  • 315 posts
  • Page 21 of 21
Cireon wrote:
I see it at full size no problem. Just open it in a new tab if you want to see it in full size.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
aero
Point taken Axo.
If it's not intuitive still, then a territory colour amendment might do the trick.
No map time this weekend though, so I'll look into it on Monday (UK time).

aero
Okay, I adjusted the colour of Greenland & Nunavut to make them their own colour which differs from adjacent territories, I hope this improves the intuitiveness?
Beta World Double Edit

It's been more than 3 weeks now and still no response to this update... wow!

This image will open in the Same Tab, so just press the Back Arrow to come back here
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Axobongo wrote:
thank you aero,
sorry 'bout that, activity here has been way down and has had some amount of impact on my own [activity].
 personally, i think the contrast between greenland and the others could be stronger.=, more light meeting dark at the border.
Axobongo wrote:
,,... okay, i am [was] waiting for people to join this beta game and am looking fresh at that and this beta map^ , and decided i would offer a final refinement of the critique:
  the new greenland does sort of show better as on piece but sacrifices having the more 2 toned light & shadowing of the rest , ... which seems important to the scheme.. so i got concerned about over complicating this edit and rethought to pinpoint whats most key: 
*mainly the issue is more in the upside down south region 2 greenland.
 *mainly the connectedness feeling has to be between the isle where the circle is and the center isle where the type is
* in both versions , the 4 greenland borders beside NW territory works, and also quebec and ontario,, but of course, those borders arent what i think caused the eye trick , i think one looks at the circle, and the type being off to the side can get associated with another territory. So moving the circle helped alot. == and so i am concluding the final most key edit is the most simple: a slight move of the type towards the circle , putting the first and last letter standing out nicely in the water on either side of the center isle ,it would feel more part of the circle.
* as far as tone or shading changes go the main thing is that those 3 sections of the territory match (and pop out. They could be a warmer tone ,,,, could be 2 toned as you wish,,,, but would need to match ideally, perhaps via a stripe of light or shadow being more distinct in the 3 pieces? )

.. in conclusion, focus more on how it looks in region 2 , and the type move might be more key, and trust your eye with any tone pop of the 3 sections [isles] of the territory.

[[PS. i swear eastern and western US alberta and alaska seem warmer ]]
aeronautic wrote:
I will try to address everything, but some things seem a bit confusing to me.

Eastern US, Western US, Alberta & Alaska do look warmer purely due to the types of Yellows / Oranges used, you see all the territories are slightly different colour tones on the whole map, even though some are similar, they are separated. This was to be mostly in-keeping with World Classic. The colour scheme and style are intended to be similar.
They are actually very different, due to different artists and no clues in what techniques & colours were previously used, plus a couple of fixes for long term concerns, plus a different projection.

You have had a rethink on the most key adjustment and feel that the text should be moved closer to the circle (as you describe in detail) and the territory colour scheme should go back the way it was, but with more distinction at the land borders. Is this correct or am I not getting what you meant?

For distinction, do you think I should use the same colour of one of the warmer territories mentioned, seem as none of Greenland's land bordering territories are warm colours?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Axobongo wrote:
basically i had concluded that the type was most key, and as far as color goes i think you have a good eye for it following your own intuition over trying to guess mine. And by focusing on the idea of making mainly the lower greenland pop out more as a single territory you're also choosing the shadow and light angles . A color tone can be either warmer but darker like eastern usa, or a very washed out quite light yellowish tone , as long as it makes that territory seem as one .  
  So i actually like the original and beta change color schemes both. the slightly detectable element in greenland that seems greener or cooler to me than the 'southern' america states may communicate the intended message to the brain.. but all i ask is that -you- feel sure they look as one . If it were me with the templates i would be checking the *lighter tones and the darker and playing with this and that,, til i found what accomplishes both goals of unifying the ter. and color integrity with the region. I am aware you are very good at this and so type alot just to say:
i think you have the eye , if you havent checked a lighter tone too maybe see how it looks to you, but its your call
i am settled with the type move request as settling 80% of the issue and the color fix as the cherry on top.

aeronautic wrote:
Cool, thanks for clarifying.

I will play around with the colours to suit the ambiance of the map and move the text as suggested.
aeronautic wrote:
I have changed the base colour of Greenland (& Nunavut), moved their labels to where I think it was suggested and also added a deeper text effect to make all of the labels stand out a little better, because they were a bit hard to read before.

https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/WorldDouble/World-Double-Beta-Edit2.jpg (100% view in new Tab)
Beta Edit 2 (click to show)
Axobongo wrote:
i think that does the trick, mate! The text shadow is brill! And great thanx for the attention to detail, its a good knack .  It will be nice to have another big map in the game , this one is a work of Art.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Axo.

Seem as all concerns have been addressed and rendered, I will overwrite the map image and see how it feels for those testing it in Beta.

Darn it! I used an earlier version to do the updates and the text labels had been moved in the other version.
I have to realign them all to the existing Beta positions, then upload it.

(Edit) I remember now, Bishop asked for some text changes and positions pre-Beta so I copied all of the changes.
Here's the update with the previous text labels that will be uploaded.
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/WorldDouble/World-Double-Beta-Edit3.jpg (100% view in new Tab)
Beta Edit 3 (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
I just noticed, that the version I used to update the Greenland colours, had quite a few changes before it went to beta.

I will have to redo the changes on the later version (source file), because Europe colours are wrong and the signatures are missing, probably other things too.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I have overwritten the same image, as there were so many previous changes that were omitted.

I have done the same latest updates again, but please check that everything is as it should be and that it's intuitive.

https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/WorldDouble/World-Double-Beta-Edit3.jpg (100% view in new Tab)
Beta Edit 3 (click to show)
Please refresh your screen, because it's the same filename overwritten.
aeronautic wrote:
This map has been in beta testing for a while due to changes made during beta. There has been no negative feedback to date, so I am making this map live.

Congratulations to The_Bishop & Clarke and a creative world map concept.
Marizard wrote:
A friend and I noticed that the Africas and Europes share the same number of bordering enemy territories (6) and the same number of exposed/border territories (4). Yet they don't have the same bonus. I read through this thread to see how the bonuses were decided but I don't think I've seen any new calculations since the final map was made. I could be wrong of course. Could someone clarify? Great map though. We've been having a lot of fun!
aeronautic wrote:
The Africas have 6 territories and the Europes have 7 territories, this makes a difference to the formula calculation.