Input needed
  • 251 posts
  • Page 1 of 17
Leedog wrote:
Thorpe and I have been working on this map. This map is NOT finished! Thorpe is going to work on textures and connection lines but suggested map be uploaded to get feedback to see what needs to be changed.

Text and circles placed on map to get a better feel... text needs to be adjusted, possibly colored so it doesn't stand out as much as it does.

The goal was to create a big map for 6-8 players with no safe spot (example: Australia in world map) and have every bonus area with around 6 territories.

Thorpe felt no room for mini-map and suggested bar graph to show value of bonus areas... placed "3" just to have number in area, will need to be adjusted.

Thorpe (and I think Butters suggested in his Turkey map) that airports can attack each other.

Thorpe did ocean texture and I did colors and created bonus/territory areas (adjustment to areas for gameplay might be needed?).

New York's 5 boroughs have been highlighted in lighter colors.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/newyork1f.jpg/
Thorpe wrote:
Good job in posting the map! This is Leedogs map...I'm just playing "follow the leader"
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Leedog wrote:
Thanks Thorpe.

Brewdog, "Statue of Liberty" is a territory just Southwest of Manhattan on small island and will be part of the Manhattan bonus area.
Vexer wrote:
is the map small because it was made small or because imageshack resized it?

I need to see a version that is 1024 pixels wide before i can say anything.
Leedog wrote:
That was the first time I uploaded a picture to imageshack... so it may have uploaded small. The original version I'm working on at Paint.net is 1024 x 690.

Uploaded again at imageshack at 1024 X 768

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/newyork1i.jpg/
BrewDog wrote:
Ahhh there she is!! Thank you for enlightening me on geographic knowledge of NYC.
Leedog wrote:
The Statue of Liberty is such an icon, figured it had to be included in a New York City map.
Pntbttr wrote:
Here is a list of what I think needs improvement:
lines are to pixelated (try blurring it and then making a white outline with the magic wand and then blurring the white outline and putting the layer in Overlay)
Text needs a black outline...I've explained this before use the magic wand on the text and in a new layer fill with black then blur
The bonuses could be moved a little to the right
I think the title is to glowy try adding a black outline if that doesn't work lower the opacity of the glow layer
connections? You need to use some kind of connections...Try doin what I did in the SA map or what was done on the new US map
I like the ocean texture but try lowering the opacity of the layer or try blurring it
add some land texture
shading...very important
the rivers are great!
regions...some of them aren't that great like the brown region, every territory is a border!

It is a great map so far! Good job.
Vexer wrote:
rather than magic wanding the text and filling it with black in a new layer it will look better and be easier to do if you duplicate the text layer, then invert the color on the layer which will turn the text black and then blur the black layer.

i'll hold off judgement on the regions until after the connections/bridges are in place. I'm not sure how you were able to decide what the region bonuses would be without having the connections in place.

Are the regions arbitrary? can you make them anyway you want or are they supposed to represent real life districts? cause it would be better if at least half of the regions only had 3 borders to defend.
Leedog wrote:
Sorry Vex, I'm definitely a map making noob and need clarifications on some of what you are saying about text.

1. You think the text should be black and then blurred?

2. Just threw region bonuses in just to get a feel of how it would look, expected them to be changed.

3. I think/hope Thorpe was going to work on connections lines/bridges.

4. All the regions were arbitrary except for the 5 NYC boroughs, those are based on true boundaries.

5. The territory lines could be changed to more borders to defend that are 3. Just about every bonus area has to defend 6, with the thinking no matter what bonus area you went for, you have to defend 6 just like everyone else. No player would have to great of an advantage. Though, you might be saying that's not good for gameplay?

I was trying to get rid of that 1 or 2 territories that everyone tries to go for.
Thorpe wrote:
Ok none of the texture is done and none of the connections.
I just needed input about areas and bonuses...not the amounts yet.

Is this map to big...should some territories be combined?
If the areas are fine then what about the airports ..like a port...can move from airport to airport?

The comments are for the game play and not really the look yet...
Have not done much but the ocean look.

Any idea about the game-play before I start the land color and texture is what I'm after.

Any ideas?

Connection Ideas?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
i can't tell you anything about the gameplay without knowing where i can cross the rivers
Vexer wrote:
sorry leedog, i somehow missed your post.

with every region having to defend so many the best strategy would be to not go for a region in which case the map would be very boring. 

To make a fun and popular map there needs to be plenty of regions that have 3 borders to defend. I understand that you don't want an 'australia' type on the map so don't make any regions that only have 2 borders to defend. Maps also need a couple big regions so that someone who can't get any region at least has a place to hide their troops without fear of someone attacking them cause they want that region.

My own opinion is that the connections should only be bridges and only be where bridges actually exist in real life. You can pick and choose which bridges to include and which to exclude in order to get more regions with only 3 borders to defend. 

On some maps that are based on real locations it's not possible to get a good number of regions that only have to defend 3 without using impassables. but this map can't really use impassables. So you might have to go trying to get a good number of regions have 4 borders to defend instead.

my comments about the black text were for pntbttr. i just forgot the @pntbttr.
Leedog wrote:
Vex: I got rid of a few territories (Thorpe originally suggested that) to have most of the areas to defend 4... a few are 3 and Queens is 7 (that big area that would be hard to control... as you stated a place for a player to hide).

The connection lines are in pink temporarily to see where they are and most are based on the true tunnels and bridges in the area. I'm sure Thorpe will make them better.

Thorpe, sent you update of map but having problems with my e-mail and couldn't write explanations, so had to do it here... sorry!

Here is updated version:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/newyork1j.jpg/