Input needed
  • 251 posts
  • Page 16 of 17
The_Bishop wrote:
ABOUT CAPS
I said "very good" caps, I meant they are "quite good" but Vexer is a very good placer. Probably I will quit that challenge... lol. Here my comments on VEXER'S CAPS.

2caps - ok (this is Leedog's)
3caps - ok (this is mine)
4caps - excellent, I didn't get that possibility. All caps have 3 ways out and they're well distanced. Staten Island has a little advantage on paths.
5caps - that's ok. Cranford has a little disvantage on paths but substancially everybody can attack everybody.

Btw I think this map should be played by more than 5p. Since 6, 7, 8 and 9 caps placements are the very important for me.

6caps internal - That's good for me. 3 ways all. Cranford is still the weakest. (If you allow my reform it could be moved to Livingstone and it get closer to North Bergen keeping still internal.)

6caps bordering - Roselle Park and Glen Cove have 4 ways, the other 3. All the caps have only 1 way out whether they take the region (since they will be almost blocked after taking it), except Roselle Park that has 2 and Glen Cove that has 3. It's too much! Glen Cove has a great convenience on taking the region, it should be changed... BUT I LIKE BETTER 6 CAPS INTERNAL.

7caps - Quite good. (Very similar to my proposal, just capitals are not internal but bordering.) Cypress Hills has an advantage similar to what I said about Glen Cove... Maybe should be changed. All the regions are occupied by caps or bordering with them so probably nobody will take any regions, it can produce a little boring beginning. (With my reform 3 little regions would be safe and free to be conquered.)

8caps - 9caps - Quite good. Same considerations that I made about 7caps. Maybe Roselle Park and Cypress Hills can be moved a bit... I don't know I need to study it a little more.

ABOUT BONUSES
I proposed to raise some bonuses up. They are red in the image that I posted. Vexer already said he agree with two of them. What about the others two?

ABOUT TO REFORM THE MAP A LITTLE
Agree somebody with me to change the north-west regions as I shown? And what about to some little changes on territories to get the best possible capitals game?
The map is almost ready to be played and it's hard for me to propose these changes now. I think the map makers don't like it because the work would be hard. But I think it can improve the map and it can make one of the best capitals placement for high number of players, with all the caps inside the regions!
Somebody likes or not? Let me know pls.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Leedog wrote:
Bishop, I think you and Vexer did a great job with Capital placements and understand why you made the changes you did... the gameplay looks much better than what I proposed.

As for changes to the map, I would prefer to keep the map as it is, but would be willing to go along with certain changes if it would improve gameplay. Keeping the integrity of the 5 boroughs, I feel is important and borders should remain (Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Manhattan and Queens).

Hopefully Capitals could get done without making map changes... but if it needs to be done, then Thorpe's opinion should be included in the discussion.

Thanks for you and Vexer's help getting this map closer to the finish line!! =)
Vexer wrote:
After considering The_Bishop's suggestions, this is what I think the map should look like:

http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Risk%20Map%20-%20New%20York%20City%20Final.jpg

Territories and Regions:

I don't think we need to make any changes to the regions or the territories. Your proposed change for Rivers Edge and Bergenfield makes the distance from the North Bergen capital to the capital in the Bronx region too great. It also limits mobility from Manhattan Island to the Bronx. And it allows the light green region to push into the blue region without adding any borders to defend.

I don't see the point in breaking Flatbush into two territories.

I am in agreement about adding a connection from Breezy point to Bensonhurst. and luckily there is a bridge there in real life.

I don't want to have two large regions on the left side. Because of the way the game starts with everyone in random locations it's too hard to take large regions before the card bonus gets so high that regions don't matter as much. If you want a large region then conquer two that are next to each other. You will be more likely to actually conquer two small regions to make a large one if you can start by taking one and then use that bonus to help you get the second one. I have rarely ever seen anyone get and hold a large region unless there are few borders to defend.

Bonuses:

I am ok with most of your region bonus increases except I don't think the light green region should be +4, it should only be 3. it's actually fairly easy to defend. Instead I think that the purple region should be +4 because it has 4 borders to defend and can be broken by an airport attack.

I think some players might complain that +4 is too much for the purple region because it only has 5 territories. Well, if it is too much then break the region! There are four borders open to attack. So attack. We definitely need to see more attacking in the early game to ensure that the game does not become a never ending one. I think players will quickly learn that you can't let someone easily take that region.

And since we have increased so many bonuses I think the bottom left corner should be a plus 3 instead of two.

One thing to note is that you cannot let a player take the +4 red, the +7 and the +3 because they will be able to get a +14 bonus and only have 5 borders to defend if they also take the airports. If you think this will be too big of a problem in a fixed card game then perhaps we should keep the +7 a +6.

Caps:

So i guess we will use the 6p caps that are not on borders.

I can't think of any way to improve 7-9 after reading your concerns. Also I can't think of a way to change the map to make it so that the 7-9p caps are all internal and not on borders. I don't think it's possible without ruining the accuracy of the map.

I think my solutions are good enough. We may have to play some large cap games several times before we can think of better ones.
The_Bishop wrote:
I really don't want to lose time and I was already thinking to reduce my proposal.

I agree to doesn't make any changes to improve the capitals placement, bcoz it is already pretty good. I would have loved 2 big regions in NW side, but it looks too late and probably nobody will agree. I'm ok with the bridge on Breezy Point.

Since the discussion can be reduced on Bonuses. I agree with the bonuses that Vexer put on the minimap. But I'm still conviced to raise the light-green region to 4. Vexer, you initially agreed with me about that one.
Matty wrote:
I acctually dont see the difference in difficulty in the light green region (3) and darkgreen region (4)
both have 4 borders and 6 territories, both are blocking a path from one side of the map to the other.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Fendi wrote:
I agree with Vexer about not making any changes to the territories and regions because having two big regions on the same side will make the board unbalanced.
But maybe having two big regions on each side is good. It will also play a vital role for the weak since it will provide them a place to recover on. They can use the airports to move around since the bridges will most likely be blocked by those who owns regions.
Anyway, I like how the board looks now and dont have any problems with the game-play.

I also vote for the 6p caps that are internal. They are balanced (more or less) and if people really want to take a region then they can go for one near their cap without risking of blocking themselves in.
I like Vexers caps and think his 7p is more balanced than The_Bishops since they are all placed on a border.

The_Bishop, its been fun reading your propositions. Keep up the comments.
Vexer wrote:
oops. i can't believe I overlooked the 4th border for the light green region. That bottom bridge is pretty small.

I will change it to a 4, then we will need the capitals inputted, then the map will go beta.
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Fendi and everybody take the time to read my comments. I think you understand that I don't wanted to criticize the map, I'm used to comment the maps that I like and I think we can be proud of this one.

You can consider my comments as suggestions for map making in general. I think it is better in the larger maps to have more than one big region. Don't be shy to set higher bonuses when needed and put an eye on the possible capitals placement when you draw the map.

Thanks Vexer for the capitals. As I clearly said I get confidence in you as a capitals placer. I'm taking the time to check them again. After adding the bridge in Breezy Point the conditions are better. I think in the case of 7p you can move one cap from Cypress Hills to Bensonhurst since every player reduce his wayout to 1 whether they take the region...
The_Bishop wrote:
7-caps Move from Cypress to Bens. as I said.

8-caps The little advantage of Cypress H. is balanced by W. Orange and Roselle P. Then adding 1 player the importance of the regions is reduced. Then the spacing and the shape of the placement are great. 8-caps is ok for me, don't change anything.

9-caps It's ok for me. But with the new possibility we can play a little more making little changes.
For example this: http://oi45.tinypic.com/mcfzih.jpg
(sorry, i used the image with the old bonuses by wrong)
Vexer wrote:
Thank you the Bishop for reanalyzing my caps after we added the new connection.

I agree to change cypress to bensonhurst for 7p

for 9p, I agree to change bloomfield to mariners park and flatbush to bensonhurst but Levittown needs to stay in Levittown and not move to Hempstead because Hempstead is too far from the Laconia capital.
Vexer wrote:
Here's a version of the map with the new bonuses and connection line.

I also decided to clean up the outline (mostly around the rivers) and the runways.

http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Risk%20Map%20-%20New%20York%20City%20Final2.jpg

The map will go beta tomorrow.
Matty wrote:
Wow, how such small changes can do so much - thanks alot Vexer, Bisshop, and especially Leedog!!!

Wonderfull map
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Leedog wrote:
I would also like to thank Thorpe, Vexer and Bishop (and everyone's input and advice) for their help on this map and finally getting it finished. Hope everyone is happy with it and find it enjoyable.
Vexer wrote:
Thank you leedog for your perseverance. 99.99% of people would have given up.
Paddlin wrote:
This map is remarkably designed and aesthetically pleasing. Kudos.