Input needed
  • 251 posts
  • Page 13 of 17
Matty wrote:
Well, I usually dont like connection lines to look like bridges, but not be bridges.
But then they are all very short, so maybe its just fine this way :S
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Leedog wrote:
Matty, the corrections you brought up have been made... asked Thorpe to see see if he could add mini-map number outline when he has a chance... update should be coming in the somewhat near future!
Thorpe wrote:
I thought I did the outline Leedog. Post the update and I will look at it.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Paddlin wrote:
7 points seems a little high of a bonus for that space. Maybe 5? This map looks good though. Kudos on all the work.
Leedog wrote:
Thanks Pads (Thorpe played a big role in look and feel of map too)... Well, it was 5 originally but since Queens has 9 territories total and the player would have to defend 7 (2 airports next to Queens) of them to keep it, thought a higher number would be better. If considered too high can be changed back.

Read a comment from Vexer months ago stating he was looking for a bigger map with 1 huge bonus area that would be hard to control and where a player could hide.

I guess it could be compared to Asia area on World Map or "green" area on Oregon Map.

Vexer wrote:
were getting pretty close on this map so I spent some time going over it with a fine-tooth comb to make sure it's ready.

1. The text label for central park covers up part of a water barrier. It should be moved down and to the left until the 'k' is off the water. times square should also be moved down until the S is off the water, the r is fine on the water.

2. There is not at least one clear pixel of water between meadowlands and the island that is a part of E. Orange.

3. The labels for the various bodies of water are still no good.
The font is too basic. Long Island sound and the atlantic ocean might look better horizontal instead of at an angle. I also think that the label for atlantic ocean is too close to the land. You might try capitalizing all the letters and also try putting a space in between each letter. The label for the hudson isn't sharp/clear. If you try some of these ideas and get one you like you will probably not be able to fit jamaica bay with the same style. I would just leave it out.

4. the outline for the territory labels seems grayish. I think it would look better with more contrast. you may be able to get it to appear more black by duplicating the layer or you could play with the brightness/contrast settings.

5. The runways need a sharpen filter done on them. they are blurry.

6. There is a layer of speckles/noise on the land, i think it's a little too much. please try lowering the opacity.

7. The texture on the mini map does not match the rest of the map. It has horizontal lines.

8. I think it would be more clear if all the islands j. bay wildlife refuge were brown.

9. some of the region bonuses are not right. Staten island should be worth 3. Manhattan: 3, Brooklynn: 3, - Really they are worth about 2.8 and some of the other '3' regions are worth about 3.3. But I think it's better for them to be slightly overvalued then way undervalued. The game is more fun when regions matter and they will matter more this way.

When determining region bonuses you have to consider more than just number of borders to defend. you also have to consider how many territories there are to conquer. 9 is low. I would say lets go with 6 for queens. It can be adjusted after the test games if necessary.
Fendi wrote:
After giving it some more thought, I think the ocean is standing out more than it should. I cannot seem to pull my eyes away from it..maybe make it a tad more matte...Or maybe thats just me.
Matty wrote:
I think "long island sound" is nice when rotated (might be rotated a tiny bit clockwise to make it perfect). The old placing of "atlantic ocean" was better on the previous version.

For the rest I agree with Vexer and Fendi. I like the ocean very much, so dont change it too much, but it does draw alot of attention to itself.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Leedog wrote:
On the changes suggested, looking to do the "touch-ups" I can handle very soon, possibly tomorrow (have some free time) and see if Thorpe can makes the changes beyond my capabilities and hopefully get this map even closer to completion.
Leedog wrote:
New update:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/newyork4.jpg/

Concerning Vexer's suggestions: I changed numbers 1, 2, 3, 6, 8 and part of 9.

Sent image to Thorpe and asked him when he had the time, to make changes I'm not capable of.

Lowered ocean opacity a little for Fendi and Matty.

For future reference - Bonus area names:

1. "Bronxville" (Turquoise Green) Name: Westchester County
2. "Bronx" (Regular Green) Name: Bronx County
3. "Manhattan" (Orange) Name: New York County
4. "Brooklyn" (Red) Name: Kings County
5. "Queens" (Brown) Name: Queens County
6. "Levittown" (Light Purple) Name: Nassau County
7. "Staten Island" (Dark Green) Name: Richmond County
8. "Woodbridge" (Olive Green) Name: Middlesex County
9. "Newark" (Dark Purple) Name: Union County
10. "Orange" (Blueish/Green) Name: Essex County
11. "Rutherford" (Burgundy) Name: Passaic County
12. "River Edge" (Dark Blue) Name: Bergen County
13. "Hoboken" (Light Green) Name: Hudson County

Not to get too far ahead, but if someone has the time to start figuring out Capitals... please do (I'm not the best at it)... Thanks!
Matty wrote:
The font on the ocean is better, but still very thin, and not well readable.
The minimap text also looks very weird this way.

I think I liked the land a little bit better when it was ligher.
Fendi wrote:
I think the land is good either way, but maybe you can just brighten it up a tad without turning on the speckles.

The ocean however is still standing out, I dont know if lowering the opacity will help much, I think its more the choice of colour. The one you have now will remain bright no matter how low its opacity is, its like a neon colour. Maybe if you chose a darker blue..
Leedog wrote:
Thorpe has map now.

Concerning ocean... in beginning Vexer was looking for bright color... even brighter than it is now.

I think where it's at now, is at the middle of what both of you would prefer. Though, Thorpe may do some adjustments?

Matty: Thorpe will work on mini-map... those changes are beyond my skill level. Changes to font size can be adjusted but was thinking it didn't need to be too prominent on map.