Input needed
  • 251 posts
  • Page 15 of 17
Matty wrote:
Lol

he's right though. Font's nice, though the old one was good to me too.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty is online.
Leedog wrote:
I like the the new font.

Not once did it ever cross my mind to make the territory "Orange" the color orange, and after thinking about it, without going into a detailed explanation... I'm glad I didn't!
Leedog wrote:
This is my first attempt at placing Capitals so bare with me and feel free to chime in (keep in mind I tried to place then far apart because of the airports allowing easy travel from one side of map to other):

2 Player: Pleasant Plains - New Rochelle
3 Player: Kearny - New Rochelle - Coney Island
4 Player: Mountain Lakes - Pelham - Long Beach - Bloomfield
5 Player: Mountain Lakes - Pelham - Long Beach - Bloomfield - Times Square
6 Player: New Rochelle - Teaneck - Kearny - Fords - Breezy Point - Statue of Liberty
7 Player: New Rochelle - Teaneck - Kearny - Fords - Statue of Liberty - Coney Island - Cambria Heights
8 Player: New Rochelle - Teaneck - Kearny - Fords - Statue of Liberty - Coney Island - Cambria Heights - Bayonne
9 Player: New Rochelle - Teaneck - Kearny - Fords - Statue of Liberty - Coney Island - Cambria Heights - Bayonne - Yankee Stadium

http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/Risk%20Map%20-%20New%20York3.jpg
Thorpe wrote:
You need to use the template that is in the forum.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Leedog wrote:
Didn't use the template because I no longer have the file. Vexer will have to send it to me again.
Leedog wrote:
Realized I just needed the picture for Capital template not the whole file... my bad!

Capital placement 1-5

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3500/capitals.jpg

Capital placement 6-9

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3500/capitals.jpg

Explanations:

Tried to keep all Capitals an equal distance and included airports in calculations.

4 and 5 player games can hold the bonus area where their Capital is located and still attack with their Capital army... for all players in these 4-5 player games. All of the rest of the games you can't.

When Statue of Liberty is your Capital, you can move armies to Times Square and still have a way out.

The only advantage I see would be some who has their Capital in Cambria Heights and having an easy path to Levittown area (light purple territories that are just to right).
The_Bishop wrote:
You should try to give to the capitals an equal number of ways out. I think this is more important than equal distances. Avoid to use less-than-3-ways capitals when it is possible. 2 ways are not enougth for me, 1 way is just weird. You should also try to put capitals inside the regions, not on the borders.

For example in the 3p case I would like:
Bronx, North Bergen, Brooklyn.
Every one has 3 ways out, 5 hops distance eachother and they are inside the regions.

In case of more than 3 players... it is not very easy. I'm studing the map too. I think this is not very suitable for capitals game. East side is the harder area for me: the light brown regions has very important connections, 2 airports (one is internal) and one 9-ways territory. It is not very easy to create distances there.

Light purple region should be better for me with an internal territory. What about to turn Cambria Heights from brown to purple. Is it possible?
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Leedog wrote:
Bishop, hear what you're saying about having more than 1 way out. On Caribbean map, when a player's Capital only has one way out, players move all their troops from their Capital to the territory that provides them more directional opportunities.

I would think, you not only want a distance from other Capitals but the airports too if possible... to avoid the easy kill.

Cambria Heights is part of Queens and if moved to "purple area" would effect map's accuracy.

This tough map for Capitals like you said... and something may have to be sacrificed when it comes to having many ways out or having the person being allowed to own the territory their Capital is in.
The_Bishop wrote:
Oh well, ok that's a real district... and more change it I think is a long job.

Cambria is too strong cap for me. I would like to use Levittown. Theoricaly is 3 way but 1 of this is a long path. Is it possible to connect Breezy Point and Bensonhurst with a bridge? This is a little job I think.
Leedog wrote:
Bishop, one solution would be split Glen Cove into another territory and place the Capitals that would be on Cambria Heights over there?

Adding a bridge, which wouldn't be that difficult, would make the Capital of Breezy Point real close to the Capital of Coney Island?

Also, have no problem with your 3 player example of Bronx, Brooklyn and North Bergen.

Having the airports in play makes this a little tougher to figure out.
Thorpe wrote:
Fords and New Rochelle for the two players?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Leedog wrote:
I chose Pleasant Plains instead of Fords because it matches New Rochelle's 5 moves to get to an airport.

If Fords was Capital, you can get to an airport in 4 moves.
Vexer wrote:
I think Leedog's 2p is fine, and I like The_bishop's 3 player. The rest of leedog's aren't right for the reasons the_bishop gave. I don't think the map needs to be changed. I have come up with some suggestions that I think will work.

I found a solution for 4 and 5 player where none of the caps are on borders and they all have 3 ways out. The spacing is also pretty good.

I have two solutions for 6p for you to choose from. The first one is with all caps on borders and the second is with none of them on borders. When they are all on borders some bridges got blocked but with none of them on borders then the spacing is not as good because 2 caps are within 3 hops of each other. You will have to decide which is the better compromise. I am fine with either.

For 7-9 player is was impossible to not use borders and still have spacing and equal number of paths out of the capitals.

2-5p:
http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/New%20York%20City%20Capitals%202-5.jpg

6p first option none on borders:
http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/New%20York%20City%20Capitals%206p%20v1.jpg

6 and 7p:
http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/New%20York%20City%20Capitals%206-7p.jpg

8 and 9p:
http://dominating12.com/forums/Map_Creation_Forum_Images/New%20York%20City%20Capitals%208-9p.jpg

The_Bishop, please review these caps and make suggestions if necessary. If you had already come up with some positions and think they are better then please share.

Leedog, I am sorry to have to spend your time doing the caps and then only keep one of your suggestions. I asked you to do it in case it would save me some time since i am extremely busy. I hope you don't feel like I wasted your time.

Also, I plan on changing two of the region bonuses to 4's based on The_Bishops recommendations.
The_Bishop wrote:
The style is really great, I think good maps are a speciallity of our website! Thank you for the work guys! Btw it may be a competition on the NYC map since I would like we do our best. Representation looks quite good, I can't check all the names. The gameplay looks also good but after I've played one I would like to put some comments and suggest some changes.

All the regions are defendable but not very defendable, and bonuses are a little low in general. I would raise Jersey reg, Bronx reg, Queens reg and light-purple reg from 3 - 3 - 6 - 2 to 4 - 4 - 7 - 3. This is my first suggestion.

Second, there are too many little regions. It would be better for me to have more variety in size joining the 4 little in the North-West into 2 big. A reduced number of little regions can propel the battle! My proposal evaluates that NW area is not part of New York and it will put more interest on the actual NYC.

My ideas are explained in the following picture with some more things that I'm going to explain right now.

[image]

Capitals should be equal in number of way out, in distance and control on regions. Leedog's ideas look far from this. To put a capital in a dead zone is more or less the same to put it at the out, it doesn't make a lot of sense for me. In Caribbean map this is a necessity, because all the regions are dead zone. The point is always the same, capitals should be equal, if you can put each in a dead zone it's ok for me.

About 2 o 3 capitals I thought this:
http://oi49.tinypic.com/2niyw7r.jpg

About more I have some problem. There are many regions with a nice shape to allow a capital placement inside with 3 or more ways out, since I think the map can be good for a capitals game but there are not good placements on the NW area and also the East. And some other little problems.

It would be great for me to have a 7 players game set in this way:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/2nioc5f.jpg

But for be very good the northern regions should be joined by two as I said speaking about gameplay since capitals in that area would result internal. A bridge should be added between Brooklyn and Queens as I shown in the picture above (and it also raises the bouns region to 4) since Levittown can get 3 ways out.

And also some little changes more on territories without modifing any bonuses. In this way:
http://oi47.tinypic.com/22jn9z.jpg

Capitals game is another juicy speciallity of our website and I think we should be able to produce maps very suitable to it.
Let me know what do you think guys.
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, at the first look Vexer capitals are very good. But now I'm very going to sleep! Tomorrow will check it better. Ty