Input needed
  • 251 posts
  • Page 12 of 17
Leedog wrote:
Newer update:

1. Changed ocean

2. Added more sports teams/logos

3. Added explanation that if you control the 3 airports you get +1 bonus

4. Added explanation that if you control territory with sports team/logo you get +1 bonus

5. Thorpe added logos at bottom of title

6. Changed Queens to 7 bonus

Not sure if Meadowlands should get +2 bonus because both Jets and Giants play there.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/newyorkc.jpg/
Fendi wrote:
Hello.

To be honest, the new update is hurting my eyes. The new texture on top of the land is making it look dark and cluttered and with the new ocean, the whole map is looking messy. In short, there are too many textures. I actually prefer your previous update. What Id like to see is your new ocean (with a tad lowered opacity) on your previous update, or you can keep the old ocean, both are good.

I dont know if I should mention this or not but...the mini-map needs more work. Again the previous one is better.

Im not really fond of the font but...I can live with that.

The logos are a nice touch but they look a bit pixelated or maybe thats just me..

Anyway, nice work so far! I really like this map.

Take care.
killrick wrote:
cool map  but the only thing it is so important to make clear what is bordering what. i have played a couple of maps where i had to ask what is what and for the new players they just wont use these maps
carry on the good work
Leedog wrote:
Newer update:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/newyorkn.jpg/

Reduced texture on ocean and land

It would probably take some time getting use to the play on this map, new players would have to ease themselves into it... that's of course if they ever get tired of playing World Map. =)
Matty wrote:
Its better, but I still think I like the land from this one best:
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8052/sanfrancisco3a.jpg

Except the orange - I like it when the manhatten region is orange instead of blue.
Also the light blue region in the north, depends which one contrasts most with the ocean.

Your new ocean looks really nice though, i like it.

On another note, +1 for just holding a territory is much. This could make 2 player games a little bit unfair for this map.
+2 for just one territory is really a big problem.
And since your description sais "territories with sportsteam have +1", i think its best to give meadowlands a +1.

Might be best to change "sportsteam" into "sportsteam(s)" though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I agree with Matty on the land. I would also make the colour a little bit lighter, because it is just too deep blue for my taste.

I am also not sure about the bonuses. 3 airports = +1 but every sports team is also +1 is a bit odd. I don't know if it is possible to implement it with the current system, but you could have the bonus starting from 2 or 3 sports team territories. So 2 sports territories = +1, 3 sports territories = +2. To make a nice mathematical formula:

bonus = max(0, amount of sports territories owned - threshold), where you can vary the threshold to make it more fair.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Thorpe wrote:
I am not sure I like the bonus for the sport teams...I like the idea of the airports...3 airports=+1...but then again I do not, not even sure it should have a bonus at all. What I look for is a game-play that players will use...The Oregon City Map is going down in usage ...cause it is for a select few, but those select few are not playing it as much.

Rule of thought..K.I.S.S.

It is a busy map already...bridges, team logos, airports and then you add all the other stuff you need for the game and I think you have one big mess. Just my thought.

Look at the Europe 1814 map and the complaining on the game play..."why can I not attack...?" Good looking map just to hard to remember what is what. I need a sheet to keep it straight. It has been played 128 times...the other Europe Map has already been played 173 times and is a lot newer.

Can not always get what you want...just give what the players like.

95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
The_Bishop wrote:
Nice map, I look forward to playing it. I like the idea of the airports. I suggest 3 airports = +1 as Thorpe said. I don't like the idea of the sport teams. Often simple things are better than elaborates.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Pntbttr wrote:
get rid of sports logos...don't give a bonus for the airports, if there is a bonus for the airports people will more likely try to defend them and then the idea of easily getting around the map is eliminated...
Thorpe wrote:
I do not mind having the Logos by the title...if you can sharpen them up...if not get ride of them. I think they should be off the territories though.

He is what I would do:

1. Go back to the land color and texture on...http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8052/sanfrancisco3a.jpg

2. Get rid of the logos on the territories

3. No Airport bonus

4. Keep the ocean you have...do not touch it yet.

5. post it

6. See what players say about it

What you are doing is wanting to change ever-thing on each new update and so you can not get a grip on this map.  Just change what is asked first then you can go from there.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
Looking good!

I think your colour scheme is perfect now.
It looks a bit weird on the minimap though, but maybe thats because the text doesnt have a nice border like on the land.

Also im not sure about the font on the ocean. You have a wonderfull wild ocean, and a very stylish font for it. These two dont really go together well I think.

Could you move the circle and text from Cransfort a bit to the left?

And your connection lines need improvement of course :)

Oh, it looks a bit weird to have bold lines around regions, and suddenly stop them for a river. I dont know if the river is wide enough to support bold lines at both sides, but it just looks odd this way.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Thorpe wrote:
Try to duplicate the river layer once and merge.
Vexer wrote:
the connection lines look fine to me, what exactly is wrong with them Matty? I also think the river borders are fine.

I agree that the text on the mini map needs a black outline.