Input needed
  • 251 posts
  • Page 4 of 17
Leedog wrote:
Update

Butters:
1. Blurred roads, bridges and runways (All outlines done 1 wide, Thorpe blurred them)
2. Changed text so it would be easier to read but kept it colored, felt with so many territory names white really drew your eye to them, wanted them to blend in a little... if you can't read some of them let me know.
3. Removed secondary outline blur to see rivers a little better
4. Lowered texture opacity a little but feel since this is one of the biggest, busiest cities in the world, it shouldn't look plain.
5. Based on mini-graph to show territory bonus value, felt it would be better to use 13 separate colors to minimize confusion... though did change them up a little. Was looking to have the 5 city boroughs be brighter and the rest a little darker so your eyes are drawn to the city itself. Also tried to have the color blend to the next one... Brown, orange, red, pink, burgundy, purple, blue, green, yellow... etc.... (not a big fan of a brown next to green or pink next to green).
6. I prefer new title font over the old one.

Votazap:
Made the map colors a little brighter.

Thorpe:
Made the colors a little brighter and removed 1 layer of ocean to try to make Long Island Sound match Atlantic Ocean. Also, on borough texture, I wasn't clear in stating the whole bonus area should be textured instead of just 1 territory... my bad!

Vexer:
Removed 1 ocean layer to try to make them all match... Thorpe was working on ocean from beginning and any further changes should be made by him... definitely has the skill to get what you might be looking for... I'm still a map Noob!

Noxon:
I'm slowing getting the hang of Paint.net and switching to Photoshop would put me back at square 1... =(

Please keep in mind you are getting a glimpse of my map making style and shouldn't expect to be the same as the others... close but not the same.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/1024x690bayarea.jpg/
Leedog wrote:
Forgot to mention I added New York Yankees logo in their territory!
Thorpe wrote:
The logo needs to be outside the circle or you will never see it.
You having fun yet Leedog?  hehehe
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
this version is better. the water is better.

text on long beach is hard to read, the text color for that region should be brighter. all of the text needs an outline to make it more readable. To get a black outline you can duplicate the text layer, then make it black and white, then up the contrast so that it's black instead of grey. then do a Gaussian blur - 1 on the black text layer and put the layer underneath the text. duplicate the layer if the outline is not dark enough.

the region colors need more work.

the runways at JFK are too blurry. try using Effects -> Photo -> sharpen to fix that.
Leedog wrote:
Thorpe - Moved Yankee logo out of circle.

Vexer - made Long Beach region text brighter.

Used "Photo Sharpen" on runways (level 10) to make them crisper.

Sorry but need a little more detail on text outline, don't understand step 2 "then make it black and white"... not sure what I'm making "black and white"... maybe Thorpe could guide me... want to learn how to do that.

Also wondering what certain region colors Vexer you're not really liking ( 3 shades of green at top of map next to each other?)?
Votazap wrote:
Much much better I am really liking this map(more comments after a careful look)
Pntbttr wrote:
texture...lower the opacity on all of the land textures...try to get it just right don't make it impossible to see but make it easy on the eyes and make it kinda blend into the map...I liked the old texture but it wasn't right with those darker colors...
Color...lowering the saturation on some of the colors might help...also you should separate or change the 5 different greens at the top...or just change rutherford and I think you will be good...
Outline...I gave a suggestion to thorpe already...but that might not work...try doing a glow on the outline to make the shadowy part disappear...
Text...try doing a black glow around it or something...it's still to hard to read...try doing the text the same color as the territory only make it brighter...Like Queens, Queens is pretty good...actually a few of them are good but some of them (like Bronx) are really bad...
Water...I think everything in the water is good...the texture, text, shading all of it...
Connection lines...I liked the road idea but the sides where to pixelated and the yellow center lines where pixelated too...but if you decide to keep it the way it is you should change the example at the bottom...

Why do you have grey lines going everywhere in certain territories?
Leedog wrote:
Butters, need a step-by-step on how to outline text... never did that before and didn't get the lesson from Thorpe yet.

I'll lower texture a little more.

I'll also work on greens at top of map and try to at least change Rutherford.

The bridges were blurred but not the yellow line, want that to show a little to represent the yellow line in road on bridge. Though at the moment, you can hardly see it.

Bronx was hard text to do because the territory was yellow and needed something dark, but if too dark it would blend into outline... I'll mess with it and try new color.

The grey lines in the new York City boroughs/Newark represent roads and highways... wanted it to look more real, busy and populated.
Thorpe wrote:
The outline was not shown because I just did what pnttbttr and Vexer showed me and boy is that step better! Thx to both.

Leedog follow the steps

copy the layer into a new image

then Image -> resize

make sure 'best quality' is selected. then
select 'by percentage'
change it to 101%

repeat the resize and choose 99% - this will get you back to the original size but the lines will be smooth.

if the are not thick enough then duplicate the layer and merge them. if they are not sharp enough then Effects -> Photo -> Sharpen - 2. Sharpening will also make them darker but you can also play around with brightness and contrast to get them to look right.

then paste the layer back into the original file.

You might have to play with the blur first though cause the lines were not done with a "2" brush.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Leedog wrote:
New update:

Colors of some ares changed, some colors of text changed and tried outline of text (tried vexer way, then Thopre's and then back to Vexer) but instead of outline being black it appeared it came out colored... don't ask me how I did that, I don't know?

Every territory should be readable now.

will be up in few minutes
Leedog wrote:
I counted 74 separate territories which should make it the second biggest map on D12 next to World Expanded.
Thorpe wrote:
There is a drop shadow in one of the plug-ins you can get for paint.net and I just started using it and I think that will help you on your text.

The way I posted, to do the outline, was copied from Vexer Messages he sent me Leedog..so how else where you told?
Vexer wrote:
black and white means to change all the various colors of the text to black. Select the duplicated text layer then go to Menu -> Adjustments -> Black and White