Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 19 of 21
Matty wrote:
aeronautic
So could you Matty / Cireon make a concise list of Region names that you both agree on and I'll change them to what you decide?
Sorry, completely forgot I had to answer this one, but here it is :)

I de-capitalized everything, but I don't really mind if you capitalize every word.
Since your native language is English, you'll probably better know if the dash is necessary in the 'south-west' names.
For the same reason,
I'll also let you choose between 'port', 'harbor' and 'harbour' for the north and south ports.

City region names
- Orichalcum Temple -> Grove of Poseidon
- NE, SE, SW, NW temples -> as they are (but please spell like North east temple)

- Respite -> North east garden quarter
- Recreation -> North west government quarter
- Maritime plaza -> South east maritime quarter
- Academic quarter -> South west campus quarter

- Market town -> As it is
- West main gate -> As it is
- South Gate Affluence -> South west gate plaza
- Training grounds -> As it is
- Navel base -> As it is

- N promenade: Ok
- N gate traders -> North gate plaza
- East port -> South port
- Shipping port -> North port

Outer region names
- Fishing grounds -> As it is
- Farmland -> As it is
- Southern Trade Routes -> Southern plains

- Forests -> As it is
- Western trade routes -> Western plains
- Western lake -> South western lake
- Sacred ground -> Sacred valley

- Mountain plateau -> As it is

- Mountain river path -> River stones path
- Northern grasslands -> Northern plains
- Highlands -> As it is
- North shores -> As it is
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
For some explanation @ Cireon: I kept region names a bit simple. They are not readable anywhere, so I'd rather have them instantly recognizable. Therefore, I completely ignored things like "Can we do something interesting with the lake? Maybe name it after a lake nymph? Limnades is the nymph of lakes. Naiads is the group of all fresh water nymphs." or "We can also take the quarter names less themed, and take the 4 gods of wind directions".
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
garder is a typo I think.

South western is also two words. Same with the other ones.

Otherwise it's an OK from me.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
ProblemChild96 wrote:
My only complaint is it should have 1 larger area, all 3s and 2s makes it to easy to grow big, in the middle maby instead of 5-1s make in a 5area‘ I think that would be better, also maby a couple 3s could be made into 4 areas, maby find a way to put a 6 area in if possable
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
Matty wrote:
There are two regions with 6 territories and four regions with 5 territories I think.
6: top left grey-green region and the bottom of the city yellow region.
5: the green farmlands to the right outside the city, the two harbour/port regions in the right of the city and the yellow region north in the city.

They look small because the map is so big, but they're there.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks guys, I will get on with this as soon as I have finished and sent Hood some graphics.... maybe tonight.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
After playing the d12 game, when it comes to gameplay, I kinda still want to merge the regions "West Main Gate" and "South Gate Affluence" into one region with 7 territories and a +5 bonus.
I'd also want to "Mountain Plateau" region to have a +4 bonus.
And I kinda feel that the city needs some more bridges. Not sure where yet. Travel is really restricted inside the city.

Since I'm in the d12 game and actually own that region, this should probably not be done untill the game's finished, to not give myself an advantage.

Is this still possible? @Cireon, would this be ok with you?
Cireon wrote:
I am a bit busy the coming days. Let's discuss when we meet in person :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
aeronautic wrote:
Anything is possible, just decide on a definite and I'll make it so.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
Matty and I synced when we met and this is our list with suggestions for the map. Sorry aero for making your life hard :$

• The mountain region bonus should be increased from 3 to 4.
  • Combine the two regions in the outer circle on the west side (teal and yellow) with a new bonus of 4. The reason for this is that the yellow region tends to be held, which blocks the west gate, and many paths throughout the city. By making it a larger region with more borders, it becomes less likely to be a big block in the map pathing.
  • Pathing inside the city is a bit of a problem, which makes the map really hard to play. We suggest adding the following connections:
    • A new bridge between PQ and AG.
    • A new bridge between PQ and BM. This is not possible with the current geography. However, by moving SS to become the left half of BuC, we can expand BM all the way to the water and make the bridge work.
      • If making geography changes is problematic, then a less ideal solution is to make a new bridge between PQ and SS, and move the bridge between AG and BM to be a bridge between AG and SS.
    • A new bridge between the sword and the funny square with diagonal lines poking out. Since this is a bridge over the main channel, it should ideally be pretty?
    • A new bridge between SB and ST.
      • The brass-coloured region should be changed to give a bonus of 3 instead to make up for the new border.
      • If this is geographically not possible, the bridge should instead be placed between ST and OQ, and the bridge between AD and EG moved to be between OQ and NS.
    • A new bridge between the sword and the central temple.
These are quite a few changes, but we really think it will improve the connectivity and gameplay, especially inside the city, without making massive changes to the map design. We discussed about all the connections for quite a long time, and we also made sure that super regions are still viable. If you have any questions about why we decided to do things in a certain way, feel free to ask. For the sake of brevity I decided to keep things short.
Thorpe wrote:
Small complain...seems odd this map was used for tournament when it seems you are not done with it. 
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
aeronautic wrote:
For reference (click to show)
Matty wrote:
aeronautic wrote:
Previous Beta Map (click to show)
Current Beta Map (click to show)

I have made all the changes requested and gone with the 1st suggestion in each case.

City colours had to be changed to suit the merge of regions. Also, a new name for the merged region had to be decided, so I deleted the West Main Gate region and kept Market Town.

There was previous mention of a +5 bonus for the newly merged region of 7 territories, but the itemised list suggests +4, which is what I made it. Is this correct?

Please check that there are no discrepancies with connections, labels & bonuses in any active games.