Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 2 of 21
Matty wrote:
Cireon
Also, wouldn't it be fun to have the players figure out the regions themselves? That's how it works in World Expanded.
Not sure what you mean, but in world expended it's pretty obvious what the super regions are.
I was thinking of world expended when I suggested this...

I didn't think of colour blind people, but I don't want the map to become a patchwork of colours.
I'm taking mediterranean states as an example now. It clearly has bundled some regions together, and none of them seem unclear to me - neither when watching from colour blind modes - the only ones that seam unclear are the red and green regions in the north-east.
Sure, that is a smaller map and it only bundles two or three regions, but it could be done right?

In the map as it's currently is, for example the bottom-left super region: it's nice and different from the bottom-right super region because of the blue and red difference. And then inside it's nice and similar because of the red, orange and yellow. But then the blue inner region looks like it doesn't belong there at all...
It much more looks as if it belongs to the cyan region above it, which it very much doesn't do.

Another small request: could you move a territory line? It's the bridge from the green to the red region, it's better I think if it goes from the green to the blue region (in the city), but I can explain it better in a picture:
https://mattiasbeimers.nl/assets/img/extern/d12/atlantis/gameplay-matty2-and-a-half.jpg

latest suggestion (click to show)

latest demo (nr 2) from Aero (click to show)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I have done the game-play changes and additions as requested. We can deal with Region Colours later.
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/Atlantis-Demo3.jpg
Demo 3 (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I can do some research into territory names this weekend. Just a quick suggestion for now: the territories in the city itself are really tiny and there probably isn't enough space to name each of them. Would it be an idea to name the region instead and just number the territories inside? Say... "Harbour District" with territories 1-5. I understand that doesn't make for a nice and interesting log, but I am not entirely sure how to fit in territory names otherwise.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
My idea as well, blacksmiths lane no 5. Just make sure the even numbers are on one side of the street, and the odd numbers on the other :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
How about using a Graphic image of greek symbols on the map, then the coded version ( e.g. ϐ ) in the Map Panel followed by the word associated ( e.g. ϐ Beta ) so that the cards show the symbol and the Label Name?

I haven't tried yet, but I can possibly make a html page with the coded symbols, then copy them off the screen and paste them as text labels on the map, then when flattened, they become part of the graphics. We can then keep the link: http://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_utf_greek.asp as a reference for the codes and meaning for each symbol, ready for inputting.

(Edit) LOL I just realised that the code works here, so I can paste them all here and copy them into the map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Some of these might be blank.

Ͱ ͱ Ͳ ͳ ʹ ͵ Ͷ ͷ ͸ ͹ ͺ ͻ ͼ ͽ ; Ϳ ΀ ΁ ΂ ΃ ΅ Ά · Έ Ή Ί ΋ Ό ΍ Ύ Ώ ΐ Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ ΢ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω Ϊ Ϋ ά έ ή ί ΰ α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω ϊ ϋ ό ύ ώ Ϗ ϐ ϑ ϒ ϓ ϔ ϕ ϖ ϗ Ϙ ϙ Ϛ ϛ Ϝ ϝ Ϟ ϟ Ϡ ϡ Ϣ ϣ Ϥ ϥ Ϧ ϧ Ϩ ϩ Ϫ ϫ Ϭ ϭ Ϯ ϯ ϰ ϱ ϲ ϳ ϴ ϵ ϶ Ϸ ϸ Ϲ Ϻ ϻ ϼ Ͻ Ͼ Ͽ
Matty wrote:
But.. your idea is to name a territory after a letter?
aeronautic wrote:
No, use a symbol on the map, then associate the symbol (using the code) with a place name in the Map Panel, so the Card and Log description shows the symbol and the place name.

The more I have thought about it, the more it's a perfect solution.

@Cireon, just go ahead and research appropriate place names and where there is little room, we can use one of the greek symbols.

The symbol doesn't necessarily have to have any association to the label name, just a representation.

e.g. In the Map Panel it will be input like this (no gaps) & # 993 ; Poseidon Dock which will look like this on the map ϡ and this in the Log ϡ Poseidon Dock

The reason for coded symbols and not any old graphic symbols, is purely for inputting into the map panel and results shown as cards and in the game log.
Cireon wrote:
They are not strictly speaking Greek symbols but since they are slightly different, they are not recognisable as letters to most people per se, and I would like that better.

Interesting idea, though I am not sure how many symbols you have to work with. It may not be enough.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
aeronautic wrote:
Here's all the ones that aren't just normal letters and apostrophes.
Ͱ ͱ Ͷ ͷ ͻ ͼ ͽ ΅ Ώ ΐ Γ Δ Θ Λ Ξ Π Σ Φ Ψ Ω Ϊ Ϋ ά έ ή ΰ β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι λ μ ξ π ς σ φ χ ψ ω ϊ ϋ Ϗ ϐ ϑ ϔ ϕ ϖ ϗ Ϙ ϙ Ϛ ϛ Ϟ ϟ Ϡ ϡ Ϣ ϣ Ϥ ϥ Ϧ ϧ Ϩ ϩ Ϫ ϫ Ϭ ϭ Ϯ ϯ ϰ ϱ ϴ ϵ ϶ Ϸ ϸ ϻ ϼ Ͻ Ͼ Ͽ

Here are the unique looking ones (53).
ͱ ΐ Γ Δ Θ Λ Ξ Π Σ Φ Ψ Ω ΰ β δ ε ζ η θ ι λ μ ξ π ς σ φ Ϗ ϐ ϑ ϔ ϖ ϗ Ϙ Ϛ Ϟ ϟ Ϡ ϡ Ϣ ϥ Ϧ ϧ ϩ Ϫ Ϭ Ϯ ϱ ϶ Ϸ ϼ Ͻ Ͼ
We should be able to find a good 40+ required, among these.
PsymonStark wrote:
It will be a huge mess to find oneself in the log!
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Cireon wrote:
If we do the symbol thing, I think we should make all the territories inside the city have a symbol, so it will be easier to distinguish a city territory from an outside territory. That gives us some 60 territories (I did a quick count) to attach a symbol to, so we may have to become a bit creative.
aeronautic wrote:
I agree Cireon. When I said 40+ I meant, that were too small for names. That's a good idea though to associate all city territories with a symbol, even if they have a name on the map.

@Psymon, I don't see how it will be a huge mess in the log. The Log and the Cards will look like this: ϡ Poseidon Dock (Symbol and Name) and to find the territory, which we all have to do even on conventional maps, we now have the Log & Cards linked to the circles, so we click them to find out where they are.
aeronautic wrote:
BTW this is one of the only resources I can find for a full list of characters outside the 255 range.
There are loads more we can possibly use, but only so many of the Unicode Characters have ascii values listed, nevertheless, there are still loads to use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters
elysium5 wrote:
Just throwing it out there but if you need more symbols that translate to something bigger, may I suggest the Rune Alphabet?

A little bit of Norse mythology which ties into many ancient cultures myths and gods folklore.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj78LiRsOjOAhVMWx4KHZXcC1QQFggbMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRunes&usg=AFQjCNExq-bqLvleo54Yl-gbzyOHuLNCsA&sig2=tu6FUJSwDrTnQjhT3QhowQ
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."