Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 10 of 21
aeronautic wrote:
We have to bare in mind that this is a 3D map, I can try a 2D Texture, but in my mind it won't work.
I will try a few more things.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I think I've found what I have been looking for..... I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

I can emboss raised sections for territories, cutting out the dividers, borders & roads to create a network of roads. This is ideal for keeping the concentric shape and allows me to simply cut out roads, lanes, avenues, courtyards & parks to leave behind, building shapes.
I can also keep perspective by making smaller cut outs in the distance.
This is 10 times quicker than making the buildings and to me it looks more fitting.

I have also put a Grainy texture under the buildings, so that you see it when you cut away the embossing.

This is still in progress, so just look at the few that I've done in the North to show perspective and possibilities.

Demo14 (click to show)
100% view
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Ooooh, that does look promising! Nice
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
A small point of feedback I got from a friend (who isn't on this site): the impassable minimap is hard to understand (especially the center one about the city wall). Maybe it could be a bit bigger, and some more curve.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I like it :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Had a complete Hard Drive failure, been putting my computer back to some sort of reasonable state.
Got most of the Maps and updates backed up, so their not affected much by the lost data.

Will continue with this map very soon.
aeronautic wrote:
After gathering and reorganising the back-ups and some RL issues, in 13 days this map will be back on track.
aeronautic wrote:
I lost the last update, but I have remade it and partially rendered it.
Here's the sort of thing I had in mind for the city.
Demo14 (click to show)
100% view
Demo15 (click to show)
100% view
Thorpe wrote:
I like the cities in Demo 14... it flows smoothly with the rest of the map and gives the look of what Atlantis would of been.
The ones in Demo 15 seem to busy
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
aeronautic wrote:
Demo 14 was just showing the idea of embossed city buildings that could be cut out to make streets and buildings, but they were not fitting to the scale of other items on the map.
They were a new concept idea to create the effect of a city without detailed buildings, which would have taken months to draw.
They would eventually have had to be refined and more to scale as in Demo 15.
Thorpe wrote:
dang I like the concept.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Cireon wrote:
I like the concept of 15, especially its sharpness, but I can't help to think of an army camp because it all looks so nearly organised.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
yes the geometry of the city kind of dictates a certain amount of uniformity.
I can angle a few buildings and create different size and shapes in each territory to stop the military barracks effect.
It isn't all of the territories that have this effect, but I agree, the few that do, give off the illusion of a military camp with barracks / tents all lined up and they spoil the city.
Matty wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Cireon. It looks beautiful, but too square-ish.

Great work tough!