Demo 8 (click to show)
100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Some remarks:
- YAY ATLANTIS IS NOT DEAD
- I love the overall feel of the map
- Those smaller labels look way better
- Contrast between Cobblestone Creek/Lightning Rocks and Vineyard is quite low (maybe because of the background texture?).
- Contrast between Southern Fields and Homestead/Orchard is quite low.
- For some reason I think that one pink region is a tiny bit too bright. Maybe darken the light patches just a tiny little bit (bit please don't overdo it).
-
have fun finding them
- Main map title (better, but can use more improvement still - why is the font so non greek-ish looking?
- I assume all the added labels and circle movements don't count because they are too obvious?
- Stone roads that are no longer stone when crossing a bridge (same in the forest, but that's more logical). They also dissapear in territories called southern road or northern road (though maybe that doesn't count as it was the same in the previous version).
- A beach. Another beach. But which one is Sally's?
- A lighthouse
- A marsh? Or is it a ring of hills? Or just a Shepherds village? It's still a nice detail either way.
- Fancy lighting on rocks (though maybe this doesn't count as it was the previous version).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
I love how we have the shrine to Poseidon and the shrine of Dionysos.

I like the little touches, though now I feel the eastern road is missing.

Looks like Matty has the sharper eye here, so listen to him :P
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
Love the feedback.... one thing Matty missed: Hall of Cyclops. It's a tiny thing but I'm hoping that every territory will have something significant to its name. Of course, most of the Forests and Lake territories already have this, Most of the western roads do too.

Matty
For some reason I think that one pink region is a tiny bit too bright. Maybe darken the light patches just a tiny little bit (bit please don't overdo it).
Are you talking about the Lower Mts region?
Matty
A marsh? Or is it a ring of hills? Or just a Shepherds village? It's still a nice detail either way
It's a tiny little village, or rather a big Shepherd's Village seen as tiny so far away from the Greek Gods eyes (the players) and near the huge mountains.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
aeronautic
one thing Matty missed: Hall of Cyclops
Oooooh in the mountain! Totally missed that one. Nice!

aeronautic
Are you talking about the Lower Mts region?
Yup, all three territories in that region.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I think I have addressed the previous concerns and choices, let me know?

Demo 8 (click to show)
100% view
Demo9 (click to show)
100% view
Demo9 No Labels (click to show)
100% view
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
The bottom right region is clearly a super region. Even more clearly than the one on the bottom left one for example. I'm not sure if that is much of a problem, but maybe we should consider which of the styles we want.

Are we going to mark superregions in the city with similar colours as well?

I think we have to do a few iterations on the fonts.

I like the graphics of this map though. You really outdid yourself aero!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Matty wrote:
I'll give constructive feedback later, dont' have much time today, but I'll drop a 'wow' already as a first impression.

Looks really good!
aeronautic wrote:
Still awaiting the constructive feedback?

I have added the City labels, but have not yet tackled the city super region colours. I have used a similar font for all labels, Lucida Calligraphy for land labels and Lucida Handwriting for city labels..

For the city labels I used the following methods to individualise them.
Initials of Names
SIngular
Multiple DUplicates | Multiple DuplicateS
Demo9 (click to show)
100% view
Demo 4 Labels (click to show)
100% view
Demo10 (click to show)
100% view

Can someone please recheck for duplicate Initials for the city labels?
Cireon wrote:
I think the labels are correct, but some of them are a bit unintuitive. Butcher's Corner I would keep as BC, despite there being a duplicate I think. Alternatively, make it BuC for Butchers Corner and BaC Barbers Corner.
Same for the temples. They are a bit hard to figure out right now. Maybe they should be given 3 letters (there is space there). Alternatively, we could revert to the symbols for those, because Greek Gods generally have symbols assigned to them:
[image]
These symbols exist in the Unicode alphabet, but they look a bit weird on macOS as we established earlier in this thread. However, the symbols for all the gods we require are there.
aeronautic wrote:
We don't even need to worry about unicode, because the symbols on the map will be graphics and the card and territory label in the program will be the Name of the Territory e.g. Temple of Hermes.

The initial letters that I came up with were only to have something uniquely identifiable on the map to associate with a coded label, but rightly so, by using initials, they should instinctively reference the label name.
Most people will not be able to identify the Gods symbols, but at least they are factually associated to the God in the label name.

I agree that Butchers Corner & Barbers Corner should have 3 letters each.
Matty wrote:
Sorry, completely forgot; kinda busy later.
A bit late now for a thorough analysis, but here's some things (I'm comparing 10 with 8 mostly):

- Labels: I like Cireon's three letter suggestion, bot sure about the greek symbols.
- I have no idea what's up with the texture in the city, but it looks weird. Best notable in HT, just above Coach House, but it's weird everywhere.
- Colours: Overall very good. There's no super region colouring in the city, but then it's not really obvious what the super regions are there in the first place. I'll have to think about that one again.
The top of the map seems bleaker than the bottom of the map, which feels more shiney. Maybe add some light to the region of sally's beach?
- The line from TP to lighthouse seems very abrupt in the angle it forms between the dock and the actual line, maybe a slight more curvish curve?
- Did you sneak in a cobblestone creek without me noticing! You sneaky map maker :tomwithhood: Maybe it's a bit too much contrast? Not sure.
- Not sure if the glacier tables change is an improvement.
- Did you put the minimap legend on the minimap on the minimap on purpose? (yes, this sentence is correct :P)
- I love the title change. It's not very clear now though. That's partly very good because it so much fits the atlantis story, and partly not good because it's not very clear. Not really sure what to think about it. I like the font.
- Not 100% sure about the circle of the elders and burial ground miniatures. They are nice, but feel like they can be improved. Not really sure how though :3 Sorry.
- Ooooh it's one beach now. Nice!
- I like the extra contrast in the homestead and southern fields regions.
- I like the less over-the-top crossroads better. Subtle small things matter :)
- When I was admiring the misty look ofthe mountains, I spotted some pillars. Nice. Hard to see, but nice!
- I like the idea of Phobos' caves, but they should be a bit more into the mountain. Now they feel stretched thin.
- Maybe the Pillers of Ares and Sally's beach text was too large, but now maybe it's too small again.

I think that's it for now. Some small details to play with, that texture is really bugging me and I really don't know about the city colours :S
Cireon wrote:
- Did you put the minimap legend on the minimap on the minimap on purpose? (yes, this sentence is correct :P)
I think we must go deeper!
aeronautic wrote:
Cireon
I think we must go deeper!
And deeper and deeper recurring!

Matty's feedback, it's a lot so I'll spoiler it.... I have added my response in Italic below each topic.
Matty Feedback (click to show)

Demo10 (click to show)
100% view
Demo11 (click to show)
100% view
Demo11 No City Colour or Labels, to show the city texture (click to show)
100% view

I changed the font for the city labels to the same font as the land labels, mostly because I didn't like the "H" with the previous font, it looked like "#".
elysium5 wrote:
I need a cold shower. I'm so excited I'm starting to get blue dice waiting to play this map.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."