Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 11 of 21
aeronautic wrote:
Got rid of the military barracks effect.
Drew a new Temple, reduced it to 50%, but possibly need to reduce it to 50% again.
Have continued making the relative city territory buildings, structures & roads.
Demo15 (click to show)
100% view
Demo16 (click to show)
100% view
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
Definitely better :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
Aaaah. That territory is water gardens.
The problem is, it made me think of a tennis field at first :S Had to search for the name.
Maybe add some flowers or something? Trees?

(For reference, names are here: https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/Atlantis-Labels.jpg)

Other than that, it looks very pretty!
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
LOL, it made me think Football Pitch. Yes, I'll add some park features ^^
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Done some more city territory building and a few refinements as I go.
Demo16 (click to show)
100% view
Demo17 (click to show)
100% view
Cireon wrote:
I just realised that the buildings make the territory dividers stand out a little less. Otherwise it looks great :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
I will be making bigger gaps for the dividers and remaking the dividers, more refined and uniform (with perspective), in the refinement stage.
Matty wrote:
I'm a bit concerned what will happen when you put the territory circles on this map - will we still see all that detail?
It's soo pretty...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
It will become a bit less foreground, but will still be mostly visible and it will look like a computer gaming map of the fabled Atlantis as perceived by Matty, Cireon & aeronautic. ;)

I like making detailed maps/landscapes, but that type are very difficult to make into a Risk Map. However, they are worth the extra work when completed, as they become a thing of beauty as well as a required tool for a game.
All reasonable artists can create a fabled land mass with depth & perspective, but we can't make the pictures and then decide on the gameplay and connections, they would all have to be remade, so it's a really slow process of building the detail around the gameplay and trying hard to keep scale, perspective and light source angle.

The only items that are mostly always out of scale are mountains and rivers.
I don't know why I said all that stuff, perhaps trying to ease your minds that it will all work out in the end.. Best get back to Photoshop, it's twiddling its thumbs.
Thorpe wrote:
I love the map.
One thing that always catches my eye is the "gate roads"that lead out of the city.... why is only the East one that seems to be used, nobody goes out the others even a little bit?

Does the territory lines have to go through the roads?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
aeronautic wrote:
Roads are not all drawn yet.
Matty & Cireon know how to envisage the map, knowing that early drafts are to gain perspective, layout & gameplay, then the graphics & colour scheme can be added, discussed/chosen and once set, completed & refined.
I always put up a demo of the style and type and let the map Authors Matty & Cireon decide Y/N before I continue to invest hours of work that won't then be wasted. The one road that's on the map got changed about 5 times to my memory and this seems to be the one that will be used.

Territory lines do not have to go through the roads. Once I know where all the roads will be, I can erase the territory lines there.
Matty wrote:
The whole map was started with a few images and thoughts. From there it grew in something that actually works and looks pretty.

The idea was to have this mythological lost city, a round city with spokes toward the glorious centre temple. A Greek city, but also a bit of Venice.
That would be the place for close combat, chaotic street fights.
And then there was the surrounding area, the dwarven area below the mountains, the deserted marsh area, the elven woods and the human fishing and farming villages.
The whole dwarf, elf and human thing left, but the mountain forest, marsh and villages is still there, as is the chaos in the city, and the order in the fields.

Other then that we wanted it to be a huge map, with 100+ territories and it should have a super region play, similar to world expended.

From there it evolved, lots of time put in small details, and now it's quite good.

Haha, now I remember. Maybe we should still try to merge the two regions in the top-left :P Oh well, we'll get to try it at some point.
Thorpe wrote:
So when do you want comments or on what should I look at, then comment ?
I know that you have been working on it awhile and it is looking a lot better.
I have read the posts just was not sure if you were done with most of the graphics yet.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Matty wrote:
We want comments right now :)

Aero is busy with the graphics part, the rest is mostly done, but you can comment on everything else too. Better a late gameplay comment then none at all B)
dough_boy wrote:
One I had is that to get from the purple on the right to the red is a long way...almost should make that purple connect to the red and then the red connect to the inner circle.