Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 9 of 21
Cireon wrote:
EDIT: latest versions

Demo11 (click to show)
100% view
Demo11 No City Colour or Labels, to show the city texture (click to show)
100% view

I think I like the icons for the temples. It also gives this map that tiny bit of extra character. However, I do think we should put the characters in the territory names, so people can connect them more easily.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
I'm fine with it, what is the ascii code for me to input them when the time comes?
I assume I can put ascii code into the map editor?

If it proves too difficult to achieve, I wouldn't worry about it, because we now have the highlighter on mouse down for all labels in the log, cards & links.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
(for what it's worth, whenever I'm giving feedback I watch it on 100% size)

The symbols look nice, so let's keep them. The're going to be annoying in the chat though.
Maybe it's a nice idea to have the outer ring labels with three characters, and the center ring labels with two characters? (the inner ring 1 greek symbol). @Cireon, what's your opinion on this?

I still think the city texture looks weird, even though I understand what it represents. For what it's worth, I expect the actual atlantis streets to be way smaller, and not cross the water for example (except in bridges).

Colours in the north are much better now,

Text sizes look much clearer and more consistent.

Title is better, but maaaybe a bit overdone? It's a lot clearer, but you loose a bit of the effect it had. Aaaaaagh :ninja:
 The impassables legend look like they are 'screenshots' of the old graphics btw.

Not sure if I checked all the map-detail-buildings-like-things, but the ones I checked look good ;)

The line to the lighthouse is better now, but it should be toned down just a little bit - or the line above it should curve just a little bit more. Not a lot, quite good this way.

We can input ascii in the map panel, that should work.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Do you think you can try a version with city-super region colours?
Here you can see the region choices.

Also, the city's left yellow region borders a yellow region, but they are NOT part of the same region, might be confusing. Same for the green region below it.

I also still think the two north-west mountain regions could be one region, because this way they are easy to take and hard to break for a very good bonus.
See here for the suggestion.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Matty
I still think the city texture looks weird, even though I understand what it represents. For what it's worth, I expect the actual Atlantis streets to be way smaller, and not cross the water for example (except in bridges).
Oh, I thought you were confused about what the texture was!

I planned on adapting it with buildings over roads that look like they are going across canals, allowing the roofs to project into the canals, straightening up some buildings and general improvement of angles and realism.
(rooves shows as a spelling error, old English, so I am showing my age now! We'll be saying hoofs next!)

If you are okay with having the texture as a real town, I will continue with it as planned, but if you think this will not work or won't suit, please say and I will pursue other options?

I'll take care of the other concerns too.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I both wasn't sure what it was and thought it didn't look very good.
If you can get it to work then sure, use a building texture. The current one doesn't look very good though.
aeronautic wrote:
Matty
The impassables legend look like they are 'screenshots' of the old graphics btw.
I won't be making thumbnails for this until the end, in case any colours / styles change, which there are still many changes to be made.

Matty
Also, the city's left yellow region borders a yellow region, but they are NOT part of the same region, might be confusing. Same for the green region below it.
Yes, I was aware of this and expected the city colours to change.

There is a priority order of jobs to do, I have to be sure of texture, colour opacity and style before choosing the correct colours for the correct region, so you have to know that something is temporary and to be overlooked for now.
We pretty much have a settled agreement of the texture, colours and style of the land territories, regions and super-regions, so making 2 regions into 1 is no problem and just needs to be reminded before the map is completed, during the refining stage.
However, the city is in its building and style-testing stage, so we have to establish harmony on that for now.
Cireon wrote:
I am okay with Matty's suggestion for the letters (3 letters for the outer ring, that is).

I am not sure about the city texture myself, but that's mostly because it feels a but blurry (assuming it comes out of Google Maps or something... in which case, there are copyright notices on Google Maps, so that might be an issue, OpenStreetMap should be fine though.... maybe... ???). I am happy to leave artistic decisions to people who know more about that stuff than me :P
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
aeronautic wrote:
There are some of the suggestions that I haven't amended yet, I wanted to get this city texture sorted, as it's such a huge job.
I haven't finished altering it all, but I've done most of it for you to view and see if it is good for the map?

Demo12 No City Colour or Labels, to show the city texture (click to show)
100% view
Demo12a No Labels (click to show)
100% view
Demo12b (click to show)
100% view
Matty wrote:
Aaaaargh this is hard.

So on the one end I think the idea of such a texture is really good. It's also a lot better then the previous one, as it starts to look like it could be Atlantis.

On the other hand, there are still houses and streets that obviously should continue, but are suddenly cut off by the water, and I'm not sure if you are ever going to get rid of them (easy example is in the BS territory in the west side of the town, slightly north of the middle).
Also, it looks like quite a modern town, not that much like a greek-ish town. Though that could be me, because I have no idea what a greek-ish town around the year 100BC would've looked like.

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is what you want to hear. I'm just really not sure myself.
At one point I don't want you to stop trying because the idea is good. The other point wants you to stop trying as it's possibly a time waster.
Cireon wrote:
Yeah, I get what Matty is saying. I think this is definitely an improvement, but I am still not quite sure if it works. My suspicion is that it doesn't necessarily have to do with the cutoff at the canals, but with the scale of the texture. The background sort of contradicts with the rest of the map in terms of scale. What about trying to scale down the texture into something that repeats and using that as a background?

I don't want to belittle your work in any way, because I can hardly begin to understand how much time is spent on finding the right texture, but given how the texture is in contrast with the rest of the map, I almost want to say that right now I'd almost say I prefer the city without the city texture over this. You did such a great job on the rest of the map, and I feel the city texture distracts from how much detail there is in the map otherwise. This is only an abstraction in the end, so maybe we should go for a simpler texture in the city, whether that is just bricks, or maybe a repeating road layout.

I feel kinda bad having to say that this might not be working, but hopefully you'll forgive me when this map will end up awesome and finished :)
aeronautic wrote:
Okay, thanks guys, I'll try something else.
aeronautic wrote:
Sorry I have been away for a while, I have had a lot going on in RL.

I had a rethink on the city... I have tried a series of 3D Greyscale building shapes, which show the territory colour through them. They will stay with the concentric segmented shape of the circular city and will stay in perspective and scale, therefore, they will have to be drawn & adjusted individually.
For this reason, I have just made a few demos so that I am not wasting my time if they are not suitable.

Demo12b (click to show)
100% view
Demo13 (click to show)
100% view
Matty wrote:
It makes me think of monopoly. Not sure if miniatures work as a texture.
Hoodlum wrote:
i don't mind the demo12 version, i'm curious to know what it looks like being black/white and or sketch effect, because now that I know what the texture actually is, it looks like a top view of my own neighbourhood with the red roofs and stuff and i can't unsee it now. Initially it looked like a suitable texture underneath the placenames and labels when I wasn't paying much attention to it.

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman