Fabled lost city
  • 303 posts
  • Page 1 of 21
aeronautic wrote:
This is a 104 territory map, based on the lost city of Atlantis.

It will possibly have 3D features and landscape and will be based on one of the suggested global positions and timescale being in or near Ancient Greece with Greek Architecture and Historic Association.

The first images will be the basic layout of the map and will be developed and refined by myself, Cireon & Matty.

https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/demo-test3.jpg
5 entrance gates & bridges, with circles (click to show)
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/demo-test4.jpg
0 entrance gates & bridges, to be added, with circles (click to show)
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/demo-test5.jpg
0 entrance gates & bridges, no circles (blank map) (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
Here are my suggestions for the regions and territories:

https://mattiasbeimers.nl/assets/img/extern/d12/atlantis/atlantis1-gameplay.jpg
regions and territories (click to show)

Also an analysis of super regions:

https://mattiasbeimers.nl/assets/img/extern/d12/atlantis/atlantis1-super-regions.jpg
possible super regions (click to show)

Note that some super regions can be easily merged, like brown and orange, or grey and green (then also take yellow).
In the central ring pink kan battle for all the other regions if it wants to grow ;)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Cireon wrote:
This might be difficult to fit a minimap in. I think the map may have to be shifted to the left a bit to have more sea and have the city a bit more centred. The territories are large enough, so it seems to me we can easily afford doing so and maybe have a bit more gameplay space on the bottom right.

Also, right now we have some mountains in the top right. Because the map appears to be slightly 3D, do we think it would be possible to make the territories in the top part of the map a bit tiered? I think that'd make for some interesting looks, though maybe a bit less natural (to be honest this almost sounds like a map idea on its own). I wouldn't mind seeing the mountains spread out to the right a bit to make Atlantis look like a city tactically nestled between water and mountains (i.e. less exposed), but gameplay comes first of course.

Further, if we need some variation we could also use a river coming from the mountains on the left feeding the canals of Atlantis as delimiter, but that'd be mostly a graphical consideration.

Looking good so far!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
I also thought a bit about rivers. Didn't want to add them already though, but it might make the bottom-left region a bit more likeable if it had a river as well.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, the river was my thought too, for feeding the canals and locks and we can always use bridges to connect what we want to.
I also thought of having the city nested between highlands and sea. I can raise the land toward the mountains which will look authentic.

I think we're on the same wavelength here so this should be quite easy to make right.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
TheMachiavelli wrote:
I'm unconvinced by the 3D-ness. But if you're going to have it, I feel a map with features would show this better. I'm thinking of stuff like the Westeros & Essos has (trees etc). 3d model of the tower at the centre of atlantis etc. If there are features getting smaller in the distance it would make the 3d nature more obvious (and look pretty cool).

This might not be at all feasible. Just a thought!
aeronautic wrote:
Here's what I have done so far.
I used Matty's game-play exactly.
The only exception is that instead of extending the mountains toward the city, I used a River as suggested by Cireon.
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/Atlantis-Demo1.jpg
Demo 1 (click to show)
https://www.the-inkstore.co.uk/map_resources/Atlantis/Atlantis-Demo1-circles.jpg
Demo 1 with circles (click to show)
Hoodlum wrote:
cool so far! dimensions, inset, title and placements work. Might be hard to fit in some territory names on the smaller ones but i guess you just choose short names :)

guess we comment on the game play at the moment?
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum is online.
CheekyTeeky wrote:
Wow what a great idea Aero - looks great can't wait to play it :)
You have a keen military mind Pod...
Matty wrote:
I would like some comments on gameplay yes. For now the only comment I'm going to give is: "it looks really cool!".

Ok, two very small ones then:
- The orange region that crosses the river looks weird - better to make the part after the bridge belong to the cyan-blue region.
- Some bridges right next to territory lines could be moved a bit away from the line.

Will analyse my own gameplay a bit more.
aeronautic wrote:
Cireon wrote:
Love the little docks :)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Matty wrote:
Ok, after some more thinking, I have some suggestions:

https://mattiasbeimers.nl/assets/img/extern/d12/atlantis/gameplay-matty2.jpg
Suggestions for demo 2 (click to show)

Two connection changes:
- One less entrance in the north of the city
- An extra river inside a super region.

I also would like the super regions to be a bit more clear if possible could you give all regions inside a super region similar colours?
For example: Right now the super region in the top has blue, red, green and yellow colours. Could they all be orange, brown, lighter brown, reddish-orange - something like that?
I marked the super regions on the minimap - the pink one could be a super region of it's own, it could also be eaten from all sides and merge into the other super regions.

P.S. The blue circle thingy is supposed to be a lake :)
Cireon wrote:
Matty
I also would like the super regions to be a bit more clear if possible could you give all regions inside a super region similar colours?
For example: Right now the super region in the top has blue, red, green and yellow colours. Could they all be orange, brown, lighter brown, reddish-orange - something like that?
I marked the super regions on the minimap - the pink one could be a super region of it's own, it could also be eaten from all sides and merge into the other super regions.
Be careful of the colourblind though.

Also, wouldn't it be fun to have the players figure out the regions themselves? That's how it works in World Expanded.
aeronautic wrote:
I am already dubious about similar colours near each other, because I have had to amend a few old maps where players have stated confusion that has ruined a few games for them over the years. I was hoping someone like Psymon, naathim or V98 would suggest a better order for the Region Colours where they are highly contrasting at every adjacency.
I would prefer, as Cireon mentioned, to keep as much distinction for not only the standard player, but also the coloured blind. I will make a New Map in the Cart' Panel soon, so that I can check the colour blind test.

The game-play stuff is all fine, I will edit as you've suggested.

@ Cireon, could you please research some relevant Territory & Region Labels to add to the map in the next stage?
I was thinking, ancient Greece, but whatever you think would be best.